Moto Razr, or Nexus Prime?

xoomer1

May 6, 2011
Visit site
the bionic does not have a pixelated screen, I have the Bionic and its a rock solid and right now, is the fastest phone around

This google experience, straight google, no carrier overlay, is pretty hyped up, I have the Xoom, its the "google experience, pure google" and yes it came with bloatware, and no its nothing special. Its a good tablet, but I have not compared it to any new ones like the samsung galaxy 10.1

the samsung tab (original one) gave me a bad taste in my mouth for samsung products, it was total crap. So I am iffy on another samsung product, but I am looking at either the prime or razor for my wife, what will decide for me will be the specs of the products, love moto phones, rock solid, hateed the samsung tablet, but am willing to look at the prime because maybe they its better then the tablet quality.

.. the bionic apparently has a pixelated screen, the thunderbolt has a ton of issues.. etc.

orion.2ktc

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
The heck with motorola. I've had the original droid and then the Droid X. Their hardware is going downhill in my opinion. Galaxy Nexus is the perfect platform to swap to.

Poopai

Banned
Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else think it looks really cheap?

I'm pretty sure I'm getting this over the Razr given its Nexus status, NFC, ICS, OMAP 4460, 720p screen, and superior camera, but damn, it just looks bad imo, and the Razr just looks so good. It's bothering me more than I'd like, and so I thus vent unto you.

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Re: Anyone else think it looks really cheap?

Razr going for the hard sturdy feel. While the Nexus is going for light and comfortable. It's made with plastic but has metal reinforcements inside for better stability and durability. Not a cheap phone by any means.

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

The nexus looks like it will feel much nicer in the hand than the razr. That is more important to me, however I actually like the look of it. the body is a cross between the nexus s and the gs2, but the color scheme and notification light centered below the screen and overall styling remind me of the nexus one.

Poopai

Banned
Jul 7, 2011
Visit site

Razr going for the hard sturdy feel. While the Nexus is going for light and comfortable. It's made with plastic but has metal reinforcements inside for better stability and durability. Not a cheap phone by any means.

I don't doubt it will be sturdy. When I say cheap I mean moreso aesthetically.

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site

I don't doubt it will be sturdy. When I say cheap I mean moreso aesthetically.

What do you mean? The plastic will look like the nexus s and GSII those don't look cheap imp. It's not as solid as the iPhone because it isn't metal and glass.

But i can say ive never seen or heard of someone cracking or breaking the samsung phone after a few drops. One drop can end the iPhone.

Poopai

Banned
Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
It seems you just arent a fan of plastic my friend lol. if that's the case, the Razr would probably serve you well.

I'm fine with plastic if it's done right, like with most HTC phones. I found the Nexus One to look better than the OG Droid, which was basically metal.

It's just something about Samung's designs which makes them look cheap to me.

dbermanmd

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Well its going to be a droid, that is my next phone when i say goodbye to my BB Storm 1. Completely put off by the lack of an iPhone 5 announcement the other week. Additionally my oldest son got the Bionic and has it decked out with amazing apps including vlingo.

So here i am in search of expert opinions as to which droid i should get. I have it narrowed down to either the Razr or the Galaxy Prime.

Here are some givens:

1. i am more interested in its functionality in terms of it being a communications device rather than its form.

2. i tend to hold onto my devices for at least two years

3. i need the phone to last the entire day on one charge.

Here are some initial thoughts/questions:

1. i am intrigued by the NFC capability in the Galaxy Prime - if the Razr does not have it initially, can it be added with a software upgrade?

2. the battery management software in the Razr seems impressive, does the Prime have the same capabilities and if not will it make a big difference

thank you in advance for your time and insight

david

mikestorm

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
More food for thought:

I came across an interesting article that says the RAZR will ship with TI OMAP 4430 dual core chip. For those of you paying attention at home, that chip is rated up to 1.0 Ghz. The Galaxy Nexus will ship with a TI OMAP 4460 dual core chip. That chip is rated up to 1.5 Ghz.

Yet both phones tout a 1.2 Ghz chip. Assuming the above is correct, the stock RAZR will come overclocked, while the stock Galaxy Nexus will come underclocked. Not all 1.2 Ghz phones are created equal apparently.

northbanker

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I find it curious that most of the recent comments on this thread are about the ergonomics of the 2 phones. Sure that's important (I'm one who thinks that the Nexus is just too damn big). But to me an equally if not more important factor is MotoBlur. I hear so many negatives about Blur, that stock Android on the Nexus just has to win out, no?

My ideal phone would have stock Android OS within a smaller, more solid hardware. E.g. a RAZR without Blur and without having to root the phone and get a custom ROM.

nuchdog

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I find it curious that most of the recent comments on this thread are about the ergonomics of the 2 phones. Sure that's important (I'm one who thinks that the Nexus is just too damn big). But to me an equally if not more important factor is MotoBlur. I hear so many negatives about Blur, that stock Android on the Nexus just has to win out, no?

My ideal phone would have stock Android OS within a smaller, more solid hardware. E.g. a RAZR without Blur and without having to root the phone and get a custom ROM.

Keep in mind that the nexus has no buttons and the razor does. Size wise, they are very similar. This also applies to most other phones that have a smaller screensize but also need room for capacitive/hard buttons. From the shots I've seen and comparisons, it looks about as wide as a standard phone, and less wide then most. It looks taller then the average phone, but thats because its comes in 16x9 from factor.

RAZR: Size/Dimensions: 130.70mm (x) 68.90mm (y) 7.1mm (z)
Nexus:Size/Dimensions: 135.50mm (x) 67.94mm (x) 8.94mm

For comparison to other phones:

Samsung Galaxy Nexus vs. Galaxy S II, Nexus One and Nexus S (macro hands-on) -- Engadget

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
lol this one is easy. The prime(Damn right im still going with prime!) Will ship with ICS. The RAZR will be getting it early next year. Early could be as late as March. When will be already hearing about Android 5.0 lol

nuchdog

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
lol this one is easy. The prime(Damn right im still going with prime!) Will ship with ICS. The RAZR will be getting it early next year. Early could be as late as March. When will be already hearing about Android 5.0 lol

Considering Gingerbread release to yesterdays ICS release was only ~6months, that could be a deal breaker.

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Here are some initial thoughts/questions:

1. i am intrigued by the NFC capability in the Galaxy Prime - if the Razr does not have it initially, can it be added with a software upgrade?

2. the battery management software in the Razr seems impressive, does the Prime have the same capabilities and if not will it make a big difference

thank you in advance for your time and insight

david

1. No.

2. ICS on the Nexus optimizes the dual core processor and uses energy more efficiently. There are a number of ways to manage power via settings, apps, etc. You should be fine.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Going to go with the Motorola RAZR based on design alone. It will get ICS and I can wait. The design for the RAZR is too nice to pass up. That kevlar woven back looks great. Happy to see Motorola is focusing more on design again.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Going to go with the Motorola RAZR based on design alone. It will get ICS and I can wait. The design for the RAZR is too nice to pass up. That kevlar woven back looks great. Happy to see Motorola is focusing more on design again.

See while the Razr does look pretty nice, Blur and Gingerbread are drawbacks that are just too big for me.

So what if the Galaxy Nexus is 2 to 2.5 milimeters thicker than the Razr, I'm coming from a Thunderbolt that's 14mm thick so 9.5mm will still seem thin to me.