Moto Razr, or Nexus Prime?

Sal

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
For me the battery will be the deciding factor between the two. Have been really unhappy with the Thunderbolt -- data connectivity inconsistency, GPS never fixed on mine, extended battery bulk, and battery consumption. If someone can make a sleek reliable 4G phone with a decent battery, I'm in. I'll even put up with bloatware, unremovable battery and Gingerbread in order to get that. I'd rather have a "pure" G Nex with ICS, but suspect the Razr battery will be better.

brinox

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
i've tried motorola phones, on more than one occasion - and i still cannot stand that their battery meter support remains in 10% intervals...

a cornerstone of owning and using a smartphone is battery life management. how is it that people are able to coordinate and manage their battery not knowing exactly what the % left in the device is?!! if their battery life was comparable to the iPhone, then it wouldnt be so much of a problem - but nearly all the android phones have a major problem with lasting longer than sun up to sun down.

combine that potential on the RAZR next to a locked bootloader, "timely" motorola updates, an inferior screen resolution, an unproven camera setup and you have a recipe ripe with arrows pointing to the Galaxy Nexus (for me).

I will surely be checking out the devices before pulling out any payment information, and I will be thorough. However, I will definitely say that *right now*, i am definitely DEFINITELY leaning towards the gnex :D

Grawbad

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I was in the same boat in regards to which phone to get.

But when it came down to it, bottom line, ICS and pure android with nobody messing around with it takes the cake for me.

Now that being said the things that I really like about the Razr is the fact that Motorola spent some time on battery and made that really nice app or whatever you want to call it to manage battery life.
I also like the idea of their cloud, whereas wherever you put your stuff, no need to upload to anywhere, its accessible from your other stuff. That is a really nice feature, and those things are what kept drawing my attention to the razr.

But as I said, I am still going for the Nexus.

da_goldstein

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
The only thing that is holding me from buying the Nexus Prime is the Motocast feature. I think that is amazing.

Is something like that available for the Nexus Prime, either by app or directly with ICS?

Thanks

THARD11

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
I use my phone for business so I need something that is dependable and has a great radio. I am currently using the Samsung Fascinate and the radio and GPS in it are terrible. I have sworn off Samsung due to this. The Nexus is a great looking phone as was the Fascinate when it came out. Would I like to have no bloatware and ICS, heck yea, but can I deal with poor reception and GPS heck no. I am going for the Razr. When I am with someone that has a Moto phone their reception is considerably better than mine (not just based on bars but actual strength as indicated in db). The GPS on the Fascinate has gotten better but it still takes a while to lock on. I think the Razr will get ICS fairly quickly since the Google buy out should happen shortly.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I like the looks of the Razr, but Moto sure screwed up the update to GB on the X and they have failed to fix the problem. The other problem with the Razr is how do you pull the battery if necessary? At least once a week, my X locks up and you have to pull the battery (shades of BB). So, on the Razr, if this lock up happens, how do you pull a battery? You can't. (And please, no one tell me a battery pull is not necessary on an Android...in some cases it is, and even tech support will tell you that it is.)

I tried a Samsung Fascinate for a few days before the X, and as the previous person noted, the radio was terrible. Granted, I live in a small town in the middle of a desert, but my X can pull in signals where the fascinate could not.

Maybe the Vigor is what some of us should be looking at.

SmokeNMirrors

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I've been debating between the phones and am currently leaning toward the Razr. I've seen too many problems with the Charge locking up, battery overheating, GPS failures, poor radio etc. Most of these issues seem far too common on Samsung hardware. Moto is vastly superior for everything but screen tech and the Razr uses a Samsung display (albeit at a lower resolution).

I'm (of course) tempted by the GNex's screen but I'd rather have a great device than just a great screen. I'll also make use of the vastly better peripherals Moto offers.

Moto has confirmed ICS for the Razr (and Bionic) for early next year. I'm fine with that. I'm in no hurry to beta test ICS for Google. I'll actually make use of 70% of the Moto bloat anyway (some of those are very nice apps).

I'm not thrilled about the non-removable battery but that's less of an issue than not having an SD card slot! I already have a few external Duracell power packs and they work perfectly well for me without an actual battery swap. I expect the Razr will have vastly better battery life too (we'll see once released). I read somewhere (Moto's forum?) that you can hold power and a volume key or such to do a reset so battery pull is a non-issue.

I don't care that much about the camera so that's not a big deal. NFC is mostly useless as is a barometer. I'll get much better use out of a tough build, splash guard, and battery life.

I'll wait until I can hold (and play) with both before I decide but those are my thoughts for what they're worth. To each their own!

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
so I did something really dumb.. but I considered it open-minded.. I went and bought 2 Iphone 4's as replacements because the price (99 each) seemed like a great deal for a decent smartphone.

On the very first day I owned it, I could do nothing but view it as a downgrade of my Samsung Fascinate.. which I already consider a bad phone. The Iphone 4 dropped 2 calls in a matter of 10 minutes on a stretch road that I travel home every day and am ussually on the phone.. and I had never once had a dropped call before.. Infact I cant remember getting a dropped call on my fascinate anywhere. On top of that the OS was very bad.. I really dont understand how Apple fanboys exist.. they honestly must have never tried the competetion or something.. Android is leaps and bounds easier, and much much better.. and Ive only used 2.1 and 2.2. The final straw was the fact that the iphone 4's speaker quality was terrible.. I went from crystal clear phone calls to barely understanding what people were saying to me.

The Iphone 4's were both returned today.. I happily paid the $70 restocking fees. I got my fiance the HTC rhyme.. which in the past 2 hours of her playing with it she is already 10 times happier then she was with the white iphone 4.

So now I'm back to square one and while I was almost talked into buying an Incredible 2, I backed out at the last second realizing if I'm going to pay for a monthly service.. I misewell spend the extra 100-150 upfront and get a top of the line phone. So the wait continues for the launch of the Galaxy Nexus and the Motorola Droid Razr.

After researching some of the hands on videos and opinions here are some of questions, concerns and opinions:

RAZR:
- The bezel on the outside, is ugly.
- Motoblur is something I'd prefer to do without.
- No ICS
+ The build quality should be great, and voice quality, signal strength and GPS lockons are probably my 3 most importanty factors.. and I really dont foresee the Razr disapointing in those aspects.
+ I could absolutely careless about NFC.. infact Id much rather just swipe my credit card which takes 2 seconds and not have my information stored on my phone like that, sounds like something hackers could have a field day with.

NEXUS
- Has Samsung stepped up and improved their radio/gps chips they are using in these top of the line phones?
- Previous phone is a Samsung Fascinate, and after the froyo delay of like 6+ months I told myself not to trust them again.. Along with alot of quirky issues Ive run into.. which led me to pretty much sware off Samsung phones
+ but I think my pure love of the looks.. the curved glass look is something I def. like/ICS and decent specs on the Nexus are enough for me to give them another chance.. Plus the fact its coming stock with ICS, one thing I also told myself is never buy another smart phone that doesnt come preloaded with the absolute latest released OS.

I am at this point heavily favoring the Nexus you could say.. But we have no official pre-order/launch date for the phone so if it doesnt have a confirmed pre-order/launch date by Nov. 4th at the latest.. I will have a pre-order for a Razr.

Its pretty much hardware vs software to me at this point.. the ICS is a clear winner.. But I would like to try motorolas newest product to see how well the attenna fairs.

thanks for all the opinions everyone.. one thing we can all know for sure is.. both phones are easily 10x better then the iphone 4, infact reverting back to my samsung fascinate was extremely pleasing.. made me appreciate it so much more.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I've been debating between the phones and am currently leaning toward the Razr. I've seen too many problems with the Charge locking up, battery overheating, GPS failures, poor radio etc. Most of these issues seem far too common on Samsung hardware. Moto is vastly superior for everything but screen tech and the Razr uses a Samsung display (albeit at a lower resolution).

I'm (of course) tempted by the GNex's screen but I'd rather have a great device than just a great screen. I'll also make use of the vastly better peripherals Moto offers.

Moto has confirmed ICS for the Razr (and Bionic) for early next year. I'm fine with that. I'm in no hurry to beta test ICS for Google. I'll actually make use of 70% of the Moto bloat anyway (some of those are very nice apps).

I'm not thrilled about the non-removable battery but that's less of an issue than not having an SD card slot! I already have a few external Duracell power packs and they work perfectly well for me without an actual battery swap. I expect the Razr will have vastly better battery life too (we'll see once released). I read somewhere (Moto's forum?) that you can hold power and a volume key or such to do a reset so battery pull is a non-issue.

I don't care that much about the camera so that's not a big deal. NFC is mostly useless as is a barometer. I'll get much better use out of a tough build, splash guard, and battery life.

I'll wait until I can hold (and play) with both before I decide but those are my thoughts for what they're worth. To each their own!

Found your comments about the Charge problems interesting. I've had mine for about 3 weeks now, no lock up, no issue with battery heating up, and haven't seen any problems with GPS. U really like the Charge and considering Nexus as next phone.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

delco714

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Found your comments about the Charge problems interesting. I've had mine for about 3 weeks now, no lock up, no issue with battery heating up, and haven't seen any problems with GPS. U really like the Charge and considering Nexus as next phone.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

For the charge you seem to be the exception not the rule

borgey401

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Wow, I can't believe people still use that crap that Motorola puts out. They have not produced a solid device since the original DROID. Nexus is hands down the superior phone, but I guess some people are just completely brain washed by the DROID name.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Wow, I can't believe people still use that crap that Motorola puts out. They have not produced a solid device since the original DROID. Nexus is hands down the superior phone, but I guess some people are just completely brain washed by the DROID name.

The X and X2 are fantastic, so I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
so I did something really dumb.. but I considered it open-minded.. I went and bought 2 Iphone 4's as replacements because the price (99 each) seemed like a great deal for a decent smartphone.

On the very first day I owned it, I could do nothing but view it as a downgrade of my Samsung Fascinate.. which I already consider a bad phone. The Iphone 4 dropped 2 calls in a matter of 10 minutes on a stretch road that I travel home every day and am ussually on the phone.. and I had never once had a dropped call before.. Infact I cant remember getting a dropped call on my fascinate anywhere. On top of that the OS was very bad.. I really dont understand how Apple fanboys exist.. they honestly must have never tried the competetion or something.. Android is leaps and bounds easier, and much much better.. and Ive only used 2.1 and 2.2. The final straw was the fact that the iphone 4's speaker quality was terrible.. I went from crystal clear phone calls to barely understanding what people were saying to me.

The Iphone 4's were both returned today.. I happily paid the $70 restocking fees. I got my fiance the HTC rhyme.. which in the past 2 hours of her playing with it she is already 10 times happier then she was with the white iphone 4.

So now I'm back to square one and while I was almost talked into buying an Incredible 2, I backed out at the last second realizing if I'm going to pay for a monthly service.. I misewell spend the extra 100-150 upfront and get a top of the line phone. So the wait continues for the launch of the Galaxy Nexus and the Motorola Droid Razr.

After researching some of the hands on videos and opinions here are some of questions, concerns and opinions:

RAZR:
- The bezel on the outside, is ugly.
- Motoblur is something I'd prefer to do without.
- No ICS
+ The build quality should be great, and voice quality, signal strength and GPS lockons are probably my 3 most importanty factors.. and I really dont foresee the Razr disapointing in those aspects.
+ I could absolutely careless about NFC.. infact Id much rather just swipe my credit card which takes 2 seconds and not have my information stored on my phone like that, sounds like something hackers could have a field day with.

NEXUS
- Has Samsung stepped up and improved their radio/gps chips they are using in these top of the line phones?
- Previous phone is a Samsung Fascinate, and after the froyo delay of like 6+ months I told myself not to trust them again.. Along with alot of quirky issues Ive run into.. which led me to pretty much sware off Samsung phones
+ but I think my pure love of the looks.. the curved glass look is something I def. like/ICS and decent specs on the Nexus are enough for me to give them another chance.. Plus the fact its coming stock with ICS, one thing I also told myself is never buy another smart phone that doesnt come preloaded with the absolute latest released OS.

I am at this point heavily favoring the Nexus you could say.. But we have no official pre-order/launch date for the phone so if it doesnt have a confirmed pre-order/launch date by Nov. 4th at the latest.. I will have a pre-order for a Razr.

Its pretty much hardware vs software to me at this point.. the ICS is a clear winner.. But I would like to try motorolas newest product to see how well the attenna fairs.

thanks for all the opinions everyone.. one thing we can all know for sure is.. both phones are easily 10x better then the iphone 4, infact reverting back to my samsung fascinate was extremely pleasing.. made me appreciate it so much more.

Response to the bolded part: Samsung doesn't push updates for the Nexus. Only Google does. So there shouldn't be any update delays at all.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Response to the bolded part: Samsung doesn't push updates for the Nexus. Only Google does. So there shouldn't be any update delays at all.

Yea but thats not my concern, heck its coming out with ICS I wouldnt expect a new OS update anytime soon.

My point is more so as a consumer, when a company tells you to expect one thing.. and you get something completely different after you purchase the phone.. you shouldnt just keep going back to them.

But of course the blame with that is tricky, Verizon reps throw Samsung under the bus, and I'm sure if I talked to a Samsung Rep they probably would of thrown Verizon under the bus.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site

By solid you obviously don't mean build quality. Razr = gorilla glass, metals, Kevlar, water resistant. GN = cheap plastics like all Samsung products.

This is my debate about the two. I have a fairly active life style and I work outside in poor conditions quite often. Saying that I have a Motorola Xoom and a Samsung Galaxy 10.1, I wouldn't take the Samsung outside of my house. Meanwhile I'll toss my Xoom around like I didn't own it.

IF the Razr had a replaceable battery I'd probably go with it. So unless reports are the Razr has amazing battery life I'm going to stick with the Nexus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance