View Poll Results: Will you be buying a Verizon Galaxy Nexus?

Voters
273. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

254 93.04%
  • No

19 6.96%
10-24-2011 02:30 PM
70 123
tools
    Am I the only one who seems slightly disappointed in the announcement?

I'm not an Apple fan and this beats the pants off my Nexus One, however...it's frustrating that most of the "new features" Google was pushing are ideas that have already been done: swipe notifications, incognito mode, screenshots, resizable widgets, data usage tool (just to name a few) I already have care-of Cyanogen and some apps. ICS really seems like a lot of Android catching up with "community Android", so to speak.

Then the software is packaged in plastic (from what I can tell) that looks like a cross between the Nexus S on the front and the Galaxy S II in on the back so there's nothing original there.

This is probably what happens when you get in bed with a manufacturer and let them run the show - I think the fact that "Nexus" is not top billing in the name anymore illustrates this. I'm kind of partial, but the Nexus One was and still is a great phone. The only complaints I have about the phone is a) the very limited internal storage for apps and b) the cheap/flaky touchscreen HTC used that freaks out frequently. This phone looks, feels and is built solid with it's metal frame and all. I just think of all the times my phone has been dropped and has withstood everything every time largely due to it's construction and wonder if this will hold up to the same.

In the end though, I'm setting my sights on this phone as it's about that time for a new one. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the developments of the community so I don't see much difference between Cyanogen's Gingerbread and the new ICS. If that is the case, then props to the community for their awesome contributions to Android that Google feels the need to bake the community's ideas in with the next version.
    10-19-2011 08:00 AM
    Where is the "maybe" option?

Anyways I'm on the fence. I was super excited until I saw the sample photos that Engadget took. They look like garbage. Even the ones that were in focus, they look horrible. Definitely not on par with the SGS II.

I will however reserve final judgement until the actual reviews come in after it's released.
    10-19-2011 09:33 AM
    While my Bionic has been a pleasant surprise, I won't be able to resist selling it to get this beast.
    bplewis24 likes this.
    10-19-2011 09:55 AM
    GF's Eris needs to last 3 more weeks.... Come on baby you can do it.
    10-19-2011 10:00 AM
    Buying it. I am getting off the "where's my update" roller coaster for a while.
    bplewis24 likes this.
    10-19-2011 10:06 AM
    I may wait till January and see how things turn out. I have the Bionic now and it currently fits my needs. I have a line with an available upgrade now, and one more that will become available for upgrade in April.

I'm done jumping on the 1st thing that catches my eye. AKA Xoom/Bionic Got both on the day they were both released. Like them both, but may have made better choices if I waited a few months.
    10-19-2011 10:24 AM
    I may wait till January and see how things turn out. I have the Bionic now and it currently fits my needs. I have a line with an available upgrade now, and one more that will become available for upgrade in April.

I'm done jumping on the 1st thing that catches my eye. AKA Xoom/Bionic Got both on the day they were both released. Like them both, but may have made better choices if I waited a few months.
    That and I'm done being the guinea pig for phone manufacturers. Ill let the reviews from tech sites and users come out for a while before jumping.
    10-19-2011 10:39 AM
    While I was impressed with what ICS brings to the table, I'm looking for a smaller phone so it looks like the RAZR will be my next phone. I've never had a problem with Blur and actually really liked it on the Bionic that I used for a while. I don't play games or stream music/movies so the 720p resolution of the GN doesn't matter to me. I'm sure the RAZR will get ICS sooner or later, especially if Google's purchase of Motorola is approved.
    10-19-2011 12:00 PM
    I am definitely getting one. And I am very glad that it comes in the 16GB variant, since it will probably save me $100 (im guessing it will be sold at $199).

I store most of my music in the cloud through google music anyway, and that is what would take up most of my space.
    This exactly.

Also, it would be nice to finally have another stock Android experience on Verizon; I definitely can't argue with updates straight from Google either.
    10-19-2011 12:24 PM
    My only worry is that it will fell like the Fascinate I had. It just felt cheap and plasticy. I have not handled the GS2 yet so Im hoping is not.

If I like the fell Im getting one.
    10-19-2011 12:37 PM
    Ill buy it ASAP pre-order or waitinng in line first day
    10-19-2011 03:45 PM
    One of the benefits of working at best buy. I don't have to wait in line. Im gonna be in the store an hour early setting my Nexus up lol
    10-19-2011 03:53 PM
    I've been waiting, have an upgrade available (bought very gently used Samsung Charge on Ebay for $160 to hold me over) and RAZR had me for a moment but now it's Nexus for me. I didn't want to extend my contract for another 2 years, but heck fire, this one has roped me in.
    10-19-2011 04:17 PM
    While I was impressed with what ICS brings to the table, I'm looking for a smaller phone so it looks like the RAZR will be my next phone..
    Have you really compared the specs on the sizes of these phones? Not much difference.

Razr: 130.7 x 68.90 x 7.1mm (5.14 x 2.71 x 0.28 inch)
    Nexus: 135.5 x 67.94 x 8.94mm (5.33 x 2.67 x 0.35 inch)

Do you think you'll really notice the 5mm difference in the height? Or the 1.9mm difference in thickness? If it's small you want, neither of these should be on your list.
    10-19-2011 07:21 PM
    Yes but I need the HSPA+ version, just hoping it isn't a version exclusive in the US so I don't have to buy it overseas and pay extra. If it means I have to sell my tab 10.1 to get this phone I will.
    10-19-2011 07:54 PM
    I forgot to mention one huge draw for me: NFC and google wallet. The company I work for now supports Wallet at all of our locations, so it would be pretty cool to use it at work to buy stuff.
    10-19-2011 10:50 PM
    Sadly, we Sprint users seem to be screwed every whichway here. If I were on Verizon, I'd 100% get the LTE version. If I were on AT&T or T-Mobile, I'd 100% import the GSM/HSPA+ variant. If there's no news of Sprint getting it soon, I might have to start emailing Phil every day out of frustration.

Sent from my HTC Evo 3D using Tapatalk
    It probably would work on EVDO and 1XRTT on sprint. You just wouldn't have "4G"
    10-20-2011 05:01 AM
    Looking forward to the release. This will be my first android...and it's clearly a huge upgrade (for me) from my old BB Tour.
    10-20-2011 07:49 AM
    It probably would work on EVDO and 1XRTT on sprint. You just wouldn't have "4G"
    The hitch is getting it active on the network. In general, Verizon 3G/1X phones can't usually be activated on Sprint (and vive versa).

10-20-2011 10:12 AM
    I am so excited about this phone. Already jumped the gun and took off the 10th and 11th just in case

-
    10-20-2011 11:12 AM
    Looking forward to the release. This will be my first android...and it's clearly a huge upgrade (for me) from my old BB Tour.
    Dude, I'd almost recommend borrowing a lower end Android phone from a friend for a few days to at least get used to the upgrade that Android is over BB. Jumping straight from the Tour (I've had one) too the Nexus will be too awesome for you to handle and will make your head explode
    pwninobrlan and zoomis like this.
    10-20-2011 01:01 PM
    This poll is going to have some serious bias, based on population surveyed.....
    10-20-2011 02:39 PM
    This poll is going to have some serious bias, based on population surveyed.....
    Yeah I plan to ditch Sprint early and switch to Verizon for this. I'm gonna go pure data for $54.99/month and use Google Voice and GrooveIP for texting and calls over LTE...probably not something the average consumer would do.

10-20-2011 02:52 PM
    Selling my BB9930 and getting one of these - just concerned about Sammy's build quality - had a couple of their phones from years ago and always felt cheap and plasticky...
    If you are talking about taking abuse then I'm sure you haven't seen this video yet...

WaistDownUnder likes this.
    10-20-2011 02:54 PM
    It's time to give my BlackBerry Storm 1 up... LOL. It was a good run!
    10-20-2011 06:22 PM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD