Verizon version will be different?

sushiglobster

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
...is different.

Maybe? Possibly?

Think about this:

We know that there are 2 versions of this phone. GSM and LTE. That is fact.

We also know this because the specs mention a 16GB and a 32GB version of the phone. And with no SD card, that means two phones. That means one version of this GS will have 16 and the other will have 32.

Verizon seems to have a thing for 16GB cards/internal space. History has shown that.

We know that there was early speculation about 2 different phones with 2 different HW specs or at least with similar specs. Where originally did the rumor of a 1.5Ghz TI OMAP come from? It's not just something you make up or pull random numbers from. If that be the case, one could have said it would be a 1.6 or 1.7 ....2.0ghz cpu. All I'm saying is that it came from somewhere.

We know they announced the phone today...but only brushed on the LTE version a bit and that the HSPA+ version will be "this thickness..." never talking about the thickness of the LTE version.

There was NO mention of Verizon at all...just "LTE" Not even any US carriers. Which makes sense...read on...

Then there is the market at which they announced the phone in today. You don't announce or talk about the U.S. version of the phone in a non-LTE, Non-US market. You talk about and introduce a phone for THAT specific market, which is what they did. They spoke about the Non-US carriers saying that it would go international later on. I think that if you are not in the US market, then everyone else is international. We think of everyone else who is NOT in America as being international, but flip that now...you're in a different country...now America is considered international. Know what I mean? Other countries are considered international depending on where you live. Here in the US everyone besides us is considered international. If you are in China for example, then the US becomes part of everything international.

Consider this too: Verizon didn't get the Samsung Galaxy S2. We know that and we also know they passed on it because something much beefier was coming down the pipe to Verizon. As we saw today, the specs are on par if not slightly below spec-wise with the Galaxy S2. Now I'm not going to go in to how the specs of this new Nexus are better than the S2. I think the Nexus specs are fine and ICS should be great with it. I'm just mentioning how people weren't blown away by the specs. onward now...

I can't help but feel that their announcement, had it been in San Diego like originally scheduled, we would have seen a different phone. I can't help but feel that today's announcement was bit sluggish...almost lack luster. You can tell it was thrown together rather than fully planned out. They had weeks...months to plan for the US version of today's announcement, but then they canceled it and moved it not only to a whole new time and date, but a whole new country!

Then there is the SUB-dawg's thread here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus/126769-galaxy-nexus-hand-time.html

The phone we saw today was a 1.2Ghz version of the phone. SUB-dawg claims he saw a 1.5Ghz version of the phone amongst other things like a 8MP camera. Of course this is all rumored as SUB-dawg isn't an official source, but he seemed damn confident in his responses and I don't think someone with 1000+ forum posts with his signature listing his Twitter and Google+ account would be trolling this forum.

So what phone did he see? what was he using?

Will the Verizon LTE version be of a slightly different spec?

What do you guys think? I can't help but think that there is possibly something to this.

EDIT: I read about this image and finally found it.
galaxy-nexus-specs.png

near the bottom of the image, read: "* Specifications above may differ on the LTE version."

possible more proof of a different version coming to Verizon?

Last edited:

zeuswsu

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
Couple of thoughts....

I figure the 16/32 is refering to 2 different options to choose from at launch. Much like apple does with the iphones.

Im guessing samsung underclocked the processor to 1.2 to save battery life. The phone seems really speedy at 1.2 so they probably thought the battery savings was worth it.

I think subdawg was just misinformed on the camera.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
1.5 Ghz came from what TI rates its processor at. It is likely underclocked to 1.2Ghz for battery life purposes. When the kernel source is released, we are likely to easily ee 1.5 which isn't really overclocked, and much higher as well as undervolted.

My thunderbolt has a total of 40GB of storage with its 32GB card (the 8 internal isn't really available for anything.. just somehow has 8GB and only 2 of it is free for apps). I believe we will likely see both a 16GB and a 32GB model. Now to see if I want the 16GB. I use cloud services for everything and also have an unlimited data plan... so it could be tempting, but I was setting aside money for a 32GB phone, so I'll likely just get that (i like having the space, even if I don't use it all).

Is it possible that the VZW model has a 1.5Ghz processor and 8MP camera... absolutely, but not likely. Really I'm just anxious for the screen. When I'm outdoors, I can't see my Tbolts screen when trying to take pictures. Doesn't matter if I have 8MP if I'm aimlessly shooting. I'll take the lower MP for the better sensor.

I guess my biggest reason for getting this phone is:
I really like AOSP. I love CM7 on my thunderbolt and Slahyer did an amazing job with this build. However, I cannot get work e-mail on my device as they require a screen shot of the "about phone" and will not allow a phone with a custom kernel for initiation of the exchange account. I plan on getting this phone and setting it up unrooted... then switching to a possible cm8 ROM once its built. I can't transfer an activated SenseUI mail to an AOSP mail.

I'm excited for the device even though I love my Thunderbolt. I may keep it for development purposes.

sushiglobster

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Haha, yea I can't see with my OG droid screen in the sun. It's awful.

And yup. I'm all about a better camera rather than more MPs. I'll take sensors and lens over MPs any day.

sushiglobster

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Couple of thoughts....

I figure the 16/32 is refering to 2 different options to choose from at launch. Much like apple does with the iphones.

Im guessing samsung underclocked the processor to 1.2 to save battery life. The phone seems really speedy at 1.2 so they probably thought the battery savings was worth it.

I think subdawg was just misinformed on the camera.

But he mentioned that it had a 1.5Ghz TI OMAP.

Sure though, I do side with the fact that it is probably underclocked to 1.2ghz. Nothing a new kernel couldn't fix.

fassy100

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I just hope verizon gets the best version it seems big red always gets the low end devices just like the fascinate and the galaxy s line of phones

sushiglobster

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
I just hope verizon gets the best version it seems big red always gets the low end devices just like the fascinate and the galaxy s line of phones

Well that's kind of summing up what I'm saying. Verizon needs a super phone. They have the RAZR now...but this is their chance to get a real mega super phone, something they didn't get when they passed on the Galaxy S2.

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Im pretty sure the max clock for the 4430 is 1.2. Edit, Maybe not?

4460 is 1.5 max. Has there been a confirmation that its a OMAP4460? Could go either way it seems with just the clock speed known.

Ill take a 4460 at 1.2 all day, Like what was said above, Nothing a kernel couldnt fix at some point for a nice boost!

Last edited:

zenit#AC

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
a more likely scenario is that we will get a bloat-loaded Galaxy S2 LTE (phone that already exists in korea).

With exception of original Droid, the phones we get on verizon are almost always outdated or inferior in some way. And always loaded with bloat.

dbdynsty25

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Afer seeing the design of the moto razr this morning I had high hopes for a really thin nexus and now I'm not so sure. I really want to get the nexus but if it's that much bigger than the moto I may just suck it up regardless of the fact that it'll probably take six months to get ics on it.

sushiglobster

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Verizon is being awfully quiet about this Nexus device. It should be one of the biggest things to happen to that company in awhile.

I wonder what gives.

P3Droid from twitter says: "Did anyone notice that VZW was not mentioned? There is a reason for that. But don't worry, yet."

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is always quiet about their releases except with some exceptions. I imagine back door negotiations are still happening . :-(