Anybody else pissed at Verizon (re: Galaxy S2)

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Let me start this post by saying that I think the Galaxy Nexus looks like a great phone. So I am NOT about to bash it. I'm about to bash Verizon.

Remember when Galaxy S2 leaks first started coming out, there was much discussion and suggestion that it would first come to Verizon. In fact, at some points, Verizon even seemed to confirm it (making a post about a new Samsung device that appeared to be the GS2, but later clarifying they were actually talking about the Tab).

Ultimately, to much disappointment, Verizon eventually confirmed that they would not be getting a Galaxy S2 at all. None. Nada. Nilch. This brought back horrifying memories of the Nexus One, which was so highly anticipated as coming to Verizon, never showing up.

But Verizon kept our hopes up. Verizon told us that something even better than the GS2 would be coming, and that it would be coming soon.

Now we know what that is. It's the Galaxy Nexus, and it's going to be a great phone. But arguably, the SGS2 has better hardware. It has Exynos, a better GPU, the best smartphone camera on the market (maybe the Nexus will prove to be better, only time will tell... but the GS2 has a stellar camera by all accounts). The SGS2 is thinner and lighter. The SGS2 has an SD card slot.

The obvious advantages of the Galaxy Nexus are screen and ICS. But presumably the GS2 will get ICS (and certainly it will get ICS if you are willing to root), and it remains to be seen whether the HD screen turns out to be a benefit or a mere battery drainer.

Finally, the GS2 has been out on Sprint for over a month. By the time the Galaxy Nexus arrives on Verizon, the Sprint GS2 will probably have been out for 2 months (and I add, Verizon has still failed to provide a formal announcement of the Nexus, despite formal announcements from European and Asian carriers).

In short, Verizon screwed us on the SGS2. It then told us something better was coming soon. It now appears that the "something better" is really only better in the software-sense, and by "soon" Verizon meant 2+ months.

The Galaxy Nexus is going to be sweet. But I remain pissed that Verizon led us on with the Galaxy S2 and was the only carrier that never got it.

Sorry for the rant.

P.s. I'm also worried about how much thicker the Vzw version of the Nexus will be than the HSPA+ version. Google has confirmed it will be thicker but has not said by how much.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I think the old adage applies well here - "don't knock it 'till you try it."

Also a metaphor: you can have the highest horsepower engine around, but if you aren't efficiently putting power to the pavement that engine won't do you much good. The Nexus phones make more out of their hardware than any other Android phones, because Google designs Android around them.

dcgore

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I am a bit upset too. I believe the GSII would've been a great offering. it won't be long before manufacturers will catch up to the Nexus specs and will be running ICS. The Galaxy Nexus will be a forgotten phone just like the Nexus S in not such a distant future.

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
it'll probably be like 9.5mm or something. Thats about how much the Galaxy SII HD LTE is last I checked.

Sent from my ADR6400L

BigDFSU

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I won't lie, I wish I had a choice. I'm happy with the Nexus and will get it. That said, had the S2 been released on VZW(and had LTE), then I probably would not have bothered waiting for the Nexus.

Now if VZW drops the ball on the Nexus(sounds like negotiating might still be going on), then there will be a big issue. We were denied the S2 because of the Nexus, that means the Nexus better happen and VZW better not screw around with some of the features that make a phone a Nexus.

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I won't lie, I wish I had a choice. I'm happy with the Nexus and will get it. That said, had the S2 been released on VZW(and had LTE), then I probably would not have bothered waiting for the Nexus.

Now if VZW drops the ball on the Nexus(sounds like negotiating might still be going on), then there will be a big issue. We were denied the S2 because of the Nexus, that means the Nexus better happen and VZW better not screw around with some of the features that make a phone a Nexus.

Yes, you have expressed my sentiment exactly in a shorter post. Thank you.

Again, it's not that I'm disappointed with the Galaxy Nexus. It's just that with Verizon screwing us on the SGS2 and telling us something better was coming very soon, I was perhaps expecting a little more (and a little sooner).

Nchaka

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I was expecting a different phone, not a larger Galaxy S2. They could have changed the specs, maybe a 1.4 dual core, a little more ram. And released on all carriers like the S2.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
it'll probably be like 9.5mm or something. Thats about how much the Galaxy SII HD LTE is last I checked.

Sent from my ADR6400L

If that's true then I'll be happy as the Thunderbolt by all accounts seems to be 13-14mm. If it's less than a milimeter added on then most people will barely notice.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
It seems like it's gonna release on AT&T or T-Mobile first as they focused on the HSPA+ Version....

They only "focused" (that term is used very liberally here given that they really only mentioned the HSPA+ one extra time) on the HSPA+ version because it is thinner and most of the world uses HSPA and not LTE. The U.S. is currently the leader in LTE thanks to Verizon, however the event wasn't in the U.S.

BigDFSU

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Yes, you have expressed my sentiment exactly in a shorter post. Thank you.

Again, it's not that I'm disappointed with the Galaxy Nexus. It's just that with Verizon screwing us on the SGS2 and telling us something better was coming very soon, I was perhaps expecting a little more (and a little sooner).

Yeah, I was expecting a little more. Was hoping that the other set of specs being "leaked" were what we would get. However, after watching the vids released so far, I have no complaints.

As far as release date, assuming early November holds, I'm actually impressed. I honestly expected this phone to end up launching in December and possibly January after seeing how all the other phones I liked kept getting delayed for a few months.

cridley66

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
REALLY!

You guys are pissed about something that is not coming to market. Switch to Sprint or another carrier and get the phone you want. Or, here's a better idea - make the phone you want.

IT'S JUST A PHONE PEOPLE...

thirsy1258

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I've only been following for a short time but pure brute power doesn't make up for os optimized software working well with the hardware. The videos I've seen looked amazing . Regardless if it has a lower computer in it. If the thing is slick with no hiccups because of the os that makes up for it. Just my opinion in what I see.

The bionic 6 months ago showed video with laggy home screens. I think ics will prove to be very smooth and not lag like we are used to. My tbolt hardly ever slows up and the cpu isn't mind blowing in today standards. Only time will tell but I want the whole package not just specs. Plus the razr looks like a good phone too !

sent from my thunderbolt

JoJoCal19

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty pissed too. Honestly after watching the presentation last night, I just wish that we had the same SGS II as Sprint, but LTE on Verizon. I would never look back. The Nexus looks good but I prefer the SGS II. Also those pics that Engadget took with the Nexus look like TRASH. Horrible. I guess Ill wait for an actual review but man they were horrible.

JoJoCal19

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
REALLY!

You guys are pissed about something that is not coming to market. Switch to Sprint or another carrier and get the phone you want. Or, here's a better idea - make the phone you want.

Or you can stop trolling a thread that doesn't pertain to you. No one forced you to come in and read this thread. You could have seen the title and passed it up.

cggeek911

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I think I would rather have this phone with the hardware acceleration and such over a SGSII with Touchwiz. The SGSII may be better in some aspects but who knows until the product is in hand. I will be picking this up based off of Vanilla android alone. For the first time I can say that I actually like the look of vanilla Android.

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
REALLY!

Dude, read the thread more closely before posting. We aren't complaining about a phone here. We are complaining about VERIZON. Get your facts straight :p

When a company to which I pay a lot of money promises me something "better" and "soon," you better believe I expect it to be (significantly) better and soon!

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I think I would rather have this phone with the hardware acceleration and such over a SGSII with Touchwiz. The SGSII may be better in some aspects but who knows until the product is in hand. I will be picking this up based off of Vanilla android alone. For the first time I can say that I actually like the look of vanilla Android.

Isn't hardware acceleration part of ICS? If so, other phones (i.e., SGS2) will have it as soon as they get ICS, right? (which admittedly will probably be months, unless you root)