Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. I Couldn't find anything via search. A Verizon sales rep told me that if I get the iPhone, I can keep my unlimited data because it's 3G and I'm grandfathered but if I get a Galaxy Nexus I'll be forced onto a tiered data pricing plan because it's LTE. Can anyone confirm or deny this? If true, it kind of sucks. 2GB of data for the same price as I'm paying unlimited now seems like a complete rip off. At LTE speed I could rip through that 2GB in no time at all too
    10-19-2011 11:15 AM
    You'll be grandfathered in.
    10-19-2011 11:19 AM
    Sales rep can be wrong. You'll get unlimited data.
    10-19-2011 11:29 AM
    Yeah you're rep is a dummy. There is no 4g or 3g plan it's all data. Confirmed it myself too when I pretended like i was upgraded to the bionic online. It kept me unlimited, and I could have chosen to go to the 2gb cap. Why would I want to do that though?? lol
    10-19-2011 11:40 AM
    Like it has been said before, your grandfathered in.

I just ditched my Droid X and bought a used TBolt off Craigslist a month ago and activated it at VZW. Got my SIM card for free at the store and off I went. Unlimited 4G service. Life is good.

My upgrade is going to Nexus and ICS.. NOM NOM NOM
    10-19-2011 12:14 PM
    Hey OP, I see this is your first post! Welcome to Androidcentral!!

The first thing you will need to learn here is to NEVER ask a VZW store rep for information. They are the least reliable people in the world when it comes to knowing about two things, The first thing they seem to know nothing about is the specs of the phones that are sold by VZW. The second thing they seem to know nothing about is VZW's policies for their customers. (There are some exceptions and some very good reps).

Oh yeah, and as everyone has already said, you will be grandfathered if you get the Nexus.

For information, this is the place to come and ask.
    10-19-2011 02:48 PM
    There are VZW reps out there saying you need to go to a tiered plan. They are wrong, but if they are successful at convincing you that this is required, then they will change you to a tiered plan. I dont know if they have a financial incentive to do this or not, but it is very suspicious. A friend of mine upgraded from a Droid X to the iPhone 4s and he let a rep talk him into this. Now he is stuck with a tiered data plan. Because the reps are so bad I advise doing upgrades online so that you can see the options you truly have.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    10-19-2011 05:58 PM
    You'll keep your unlimited data for now. Once 4G becomes more prominent you will be forced to switch to a tiered plan. Verizon will not let you keep unlimited data when LTE becomes standard.
    10-19-2011 06:02 PM
    Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. I Couldn't find anything via search. A Verizon sales rep told me that if I get the iPhone, I can keep my unlimited data because it's 3G and I'm grandfathered but if I get a Galaxy Nexus I'll be forced onto a tiered data pricing plan because it's LTE. Can anyone confirm or deny this? If true, it kind of sucks. 2GB of data for the same price as I'm paying unlimited now seems like a complete rip off. At LTE speed I could rip through that 2GB in no time at all too
    Do your research! That's how a lot of people lost their unlimited data. Whether they are telling the truth or not. Once you make a move, if you lose it you want get it back. You will eventually have to get a LTE device, although I hope for your sake you don't lose your unlimited. I think you'll be able to keep it though I'm not sure, but if you use to much they'll knock your speed down. But ask multiple reps, and even speak to supervisors.
    10-19-2011 06:48 PM
    Hey OP, I see this is your first post! Welcome to Androidcentral!!

The first thing you will need to learn here is to NEVER ask a VZW store rep for information. They are the least reliable people in the world when it comes to knowing about two things, The first thing they seem to know nothing about is the specs of the phones that are sold by VZW. The second thing they seem to know nothing about is VZW's policies for their customers. (There are some exceptions and some very good reps).

Oh yeah, and as everyone has already said, you will be grandfathered if you get the Nexus.

For information, this is the place to come and ask.
    I agree with this post. I think it's horrible to be a retailer and you can't answer simple questions. I the customer should not know more than the reps, period!
    10-19-2011 06:55 PM
    You'll keep your unlimited data for now. Once 4G becomes more prominent you will be forced to switch to a tiered plan. Verizon will not let you keep unlimited data when LTE becomes standard.
    That's not what the customer service rep I called said when I got my Talk, Text, & Data promo. I've been told by multiple reps that as long as I don't change my family plan that I will keep my unlimited data for $9.99 a month.
    10-19-2011 07:00 PM
    That's not what the customer service rep I called said when I got my Talk, Text, & Data promo. I've been told by multiple reps that as long as I don't change my family plan that I will keep my unlimited data for $9.99 a month.
    And right now that's true. However, Verizon reserves the right to change the plans or conditions of promotions at any time. Do you honestly think that when people are using more data because of 4G that they won't force people to pay more? Why do you think they got rid of the unlimited plan in the first place? It's only a matter of time before they force those that are grandfathered in to switch to a tiered plan.
    10-19-2011 07:26 PM
    And right now that's true. However, Verizon reserves the right to change the plans or conditions of promotions at any time. Do you honestly think that when people are using more data because of 4G that they won't force people to pay more? Why do you think they got rid of the unlimited plan in the first place? It's only a matter of time before they force those that are grandfathered in to switch to a tiered plan.
    Personally I think they are letting those with the grandfathered unlimited data plan be for now because of AT&T. AT&T has no intentions of taking away it's grandfathered unlimited data.
    10-20-2011 09:36 AM
    I agree with this post. I think it's horrible to be a retailer and you can't answer simple questions. I the customer should not know more than the reps, period!
    See, if they'd just, you know, pay me more money, I might be bothered to learn more about the phones I sell :P

In all seriousness though, working at a third party retailer for verizon, I can confirm that I've upgraded people from 3g phonese into 4g and kept their unlimited intact. There is absolutely nothing stopping you.

What I -think- is happening (the customers who've come up to me asking the same question you did) is that CORPORATE Verizon locations are deliberately trying to get people off of the unlimited plan, and more or less lying to them and saying it won't work on a 4G phone. I've had countless people come to me telling me the corporate verizon near where I work tells them that. Probably my favorite part of the day is the relief they show when I tell them the truth.
    10-20-2011 10:53 AM
    In all seriousness though, working at a third party retailer for verizon, I can confirm that I've upgraded people from 3g phonese into 4g and kept their unlimited intact. There is absolutely nothing stopping you.
    I think some of the store reps are simply confused. When I was thinking about upgrading to the Thunderbolt I was worried about losing my Talk, Text, and Data promo since I would be coming from a "BlackBerry" data plan and I'd be going to a 4G smartphone data plan so I called the promotions department and they said that I would keep it (which I did). The promotions rep told me that they had a huge issue with everyone losing their promo because of switching to the iPhone when it came to Verizon, but they fixed it and there is absolutely no difference between smartphone plans now so no matter what smartphone you have, your plan won't change. Now there is still a difference between non-smartphone data plans and smartphone data plans.

Although all of that was back in March so you would think all of the reps would know better by now.
    10-20-2011 12:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD