10-20-2011 12:00 AM
62 123
tools
    I hope you guys don't seriously think Verizon will bloat this phone. There not stupid. It wouldn't be a Nexus if it wasn't stock, so please stop worrying.
    10-19-2011 04:00 PM
    I think it's kind of funny and sad that everyone is so afraid of Verizon F-ing up this phone.

Here's my take:

Verizon is the largest mobile phone network in the US, at least I think it is. Anyways, their target audience is the mass-general public. Us techies....us gadget gurus and forum posters here are an extremely small percentage compared to the general public. We are VERY small.

What I'm saying is, how does a large company like Verizon market a "developer phone" to the mass public? No bloatware, no skins, the NEXUS brand which I bet if you ask people at a local mall here in the US the majority of people would have no idea what a NEXUS phone is. So the simple answer to massively market a NEXUS phone on Verizon is, you don't.

The Nexus phone will be in the background a kind of black sheep that Verizon knows they can't make a whole lot of money off of because of no bloatware....no skins....no BS. It's there, we acknowledge it, and if you know what's up (like us) then good for you, buy the Nexus then.

You guys need to think and consider the fact that this Nexus phone is not as marketable to US general public as a Droid branded phone.

I'm sure we will see a PR release about this phone and maybe a few mentions here, but I don't expect to see a marketing campaign for this phone that rivals the Droid phones.
    qnet likes this.
    10-19-2011 04:17 PM
    People really need to stop freaking out. As so many have said, it wouldn't be a Nexus if it was loaded down with bloat. The only thing that may be different is possibly Google Wallet. AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile are all together with the ISIS project so that's they only reason I could see them possibly not wanting Google Wallet to be advertised or on the phone out of the box, but I can't see any other objection Verizon would have with this phone.
    10-19-2011 04:23 PM
    With three weeks till Nov. 10th (the most recent alleged date it goes on sale), I'm guessing we will have an official Verizon announcement a week or two before it goes on sale. After all, pre-orders for the Droid Razr start on the Oct 27th if I'm not mistaken. So maybe Verizon is just building up extra hype for the Razr since it is more marketable to the general public like some folks have already commented on. Verizon could easily market the Nexus as the first ICS phone to drive sales - granted that will likely be meaningless to the average person and confuse them. As for the threat of possible Verizon bloat being put on the Nexus? They did just announce a feature in ICS that lets the user disable unwanted apps (assuming Verizon lets it fly). Even if this worst case scenario happens, couldn't those of us who buy the Nexus go to Google as say "Give me some GasX - I'm bloated!!" Then BAM - clean unadulterated ICS sans VZW bloat.

Personally not being able to get rid of Twitter would be more annoying to me than VZW bloatware, but that's just my opinion.
    10-19-2011 05:04 PM
    What part of "Nexus" are you constant complainers not understand?
    10-19-2011 05:24 PM
    I think it's kind of funny and sad that everyone is so afraid of Verizon F-ing up this phone.

Here's my take:

Verizon is the largest mobile phone network in the US, at least I think it is. Anyways, their target audience is the mass-general public. Us techies....us gadget gurus and forum posters here are an extremely small percentage compared to the general public. We are VERY small.

What I'm saying is, how does a large company like Verizon market a "developer phone" to the mass public? No bloatware, no skins, the NEXUS brand which I bet if you ask people at a local mall here in the US the majority of people would have no idea what a NEXUS phone is. So the simple answer to massively market a NEXUS phone on Verizon is, you don't.

The Nexus phone will be in the background a kind of black sheep that Verizon knows they can't make a whole lot of money off of because of no bloatware....no skins....no BS. It's there, we acknowledge it, and if you know what's up (like us) then good for you, buy the Nexus then.

You guys need to think and consider the fact that this Nexus phone is not as marketable to US general public as a Droid branded phone.

I'm sure we will see a PR release about this phone and maybe a few mentions here, but I don't expect to see a marketing campaign for this phone that rivals the Droid phones.
    I think you nailed it. The general public doesn't have any idea about the Nexus phones. Every time I've had one, people will ask, what is that? is that a droid? it's the same way they always confuse my Xoom for a Ipad.
    sushiglobster likes this.
    10-19-2011 05:41 PM
    OP

So are you insinuating that VZW will be the first carrier to load bloatware on a Nexus device? First carrier to lockdown a Nexus device?

I really think you are making a much to do over nothing. Kinda "Chicken Little" if you ask me.
    Name the other vzw.smart.phones that are bloatware free with unlocked.bootloaders. I think it is a reasonable concern....in fact I will be amazed if this phone is totally unlocked or bloatware free.

I'm not complaining. I'm concerned.

I WILL be complaining to vzw if u guyz are right. Why should I have to void my warranty to get rid of bloatware when nexus doesn't have any? I wont be the only one.
    10-19-2011 05:43 PM
    What part of "Nexus" are you constant complainers not understand?
    I understand what Nexus means, and I'm not even complaining...not about Nexus or Verizon. I'm just saying that I don't believe that Verizon is going to let a true Nexus (bloat free vanilla) device on it's network. Just like the Nexus 1 (even though everyone thought the N1 was coming to Verizon), you're going to see it go to another carrier. Verizon wont give up the bloat. There's no business incentive for them to do it.
    10-19-2011 06:16 PM
    People really need to stop freaking out. As so many have said, it wouldn't be a Nexus if it was loaded down with bloat. The only thing that may be different is possibly Google Wallet. AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile are all together with the ISIS project so that's they only reason I could see them possibly not wanting Google Wallet to be advertised or on the phone out of the box, but I can't see any other objection Verizon would have with this phone.
    Lacking Google Wallet would be enough reason for me to leave. I really want Google wallet, and I'm not impressed with ISIS so far. If they simply don't want it marketed I can understand that, but if they bar it from being used...tough luck for VZW then.
    10-19-2011 06:20 PM
    Here's my take:

I think your assumption is wrong. The Nexus One wasn't originally intended to be just a developer device, it was supposed to help empower normal consumers to be able to buy one phone first and then shop around for the best deal. The carriers (most especially Verizon) told them to go to hell, and Google had to scramble to get the phone sold at all. The result was a huge mess that had no marketing and mostly only sold to developers (and of course I/O attendees that year got one for free).

The Nexus S seems to have been intended more as a niche product, and if you recall it was announced with a lot less fanfare. But this time around the Galaxy Nexus is clearly intended as a mass market phone. It's meant to sell on all the carriers (much like the Galaxy series of phones), it has an new OS that is meant to show broad appeal to more casual users, and it's being marketed as a device that makes people enchanted and more awesome.

This is NOT intended to be a mere developer phone.

I seriously doubt this. Verizon explicitly turned down the hottest selling family of Android phones (the GS2) saying they had something coming that would better compete against the new iPhone. Nothing in Verizon's previous actions, nor Google or Samsung's handling of this phone suggests a niche, black-sheep sort of developer-only phone is in store. This is supposed to be a break-out device. Hence why I expect Verizon to want to play hardball over it.
    10-19-2011 06:31 PM
    And not to burst any bubbles, but from the official Samsung Facebook thread: "Samsung Janel: My mistake, no U.S. carrier has been determined yet. Stay tuned for updates."

Do you guys the importance of a reversal like this? If the phone wasn't important then they would just ignore a comment like this, even if it's earlier than intended. Some rep on Facebook having to reverse herself for confirming a phone that's already been seen means that the companies are on high alert over the state of their negotiations, and almost certainly means that Verizon is playing hardball over something (i.e. threatening to delay or otherwise screw with the release timeline).

Obviously we can't know what for sure, and I've already shared by concerns above.
    10-19-2011 06:37 PM
    IIRC, ICS has the ability to easily remove apps - so even if Verizon decided to add apps, owners can simply remove them.

-KLH
    10-19-2011 06:38 PM
    IIRC, ICS has the ability to easily remove apps - so even if Verizon decided to add apps, owners can simply remove them.

-KLH
    Sort of - it allows you to mute the apps, not uninstall them. But you're right that it's more a concern about whether Verizon would bar owners from doing things, or installing apps or services they don't like.
    10-19-2011 06:40 PM
    I definitely fall on the side of Verizon not putting bloat on this for three reasons. Those that believe there is a chance of bloat believe it because it is "a feeling" or because someone in the know might have a feeling. I have yet to hear from anyone that this will have bloat. I follow P3droid, Kellex, and others. Two, when a dump of all the files from the Verizon's Nexus came out the only thing on it was Verizon disabling tethering. Let's please take a wait and see attitude. Rumors get taken as fact a lot on forums. Three, I honestly believe Google is the bigger dog here. They can release the phone on all the other US carriers, not to mention worldwide. Although Verizon is the biggest US carrier they are not the only game in town. I also believe Google still wants to keep the Nexus pure. My 2 cents.
    10-19-2011 06:55 PM
    Well this is certainly disheartening...
    Is Verizon getting the Galaxy Nexus?

Mind you these are the same people who released the system dump for ICS (for those of you know who know of P3Droid and TBH), so they obviously have connections.
    10-19-2011 07:03 PM
    i see two issues floating around here.

1) VZW wont get it: if you guys think VZW passed on the SGS2, one of the worlds best selling phones, to NOT have the Nexy, you crazy!!

2) they will Verizonify the phone: you know what i wouldnt put it past them! in all my years with my "smartphone hobby" i have seen VZW make the absolute worst decisions in regards to phone releases.i mean things that just dont make any sense whatsoever. so, i wouldnt put it past them to try to cook up some cockamamie crap to pull for the release of this one.

personally i think it is all gravy baby! we will get what we want!!!
    ottscay likes this.
    10-19-2011 07:06 PM
    And not to burst any bubbles, but from the official Samsung Facebook thread: "Samsung Janel: My mistake, no U.S. carrier has been determined yet. Stay tuned for updates."

Do you guys the importance of a reversal like this? If the phone wasn't important then they would just ignore a comment like this, even if it's earlier than intended. Some rep on Facebook having to reverse herself for confirming a phone that's already been seen means that the companies are on high alert over the state of their negotiations, and almost certainly means that Verizon is playing hardball over something (i.e. threatening to delay or otherwise screw with the release timeline).

Obviously we can't know what for sure, and I've already shared by concerns above.
    As I said on the actual post on the blog, the rep from Samsung probably had to backtrack because the carriers usually want to be the ones to actually announce a phone that they are going to release.
    10-19-2011 07:06 PM
    i see two issues floating around here.

1) VZW wont get it: if you guys think VZW passed on the SGS2, one of the worlds best selling phones, to NOT have the Nexy, you crazy!!

2) they will Verizonify the phone: you know what i wouldnt put it past them! in all my years with my "smartphone hobby" i have seen VZW make the absolute worst decisions in regards to phone releases.i mean things that just dont make any sense whatsoever. so, i wouldnt put it past them to try to cook up some cockamamie crap to pull for the release of this one.

personally i think it is all gravy baby! we will get what we want!!!
    Thank you, this was basically my entire point in a nutshell - I was just hoping that more people would chime in to encourage Verizon to make the right choice here.
    10-19-2011 07:15 PM
    As I said on the actual post on the blog, the rep from Samsung probably had to backtrack because the carriers usually want to be the ones to actually announce a phone that they are going to release.
    I guess that's where we'll have to agree to disagree. The material used in last nights event had a Verizon-branded phone in it - clearly when they planned the even they were expecting to be able to announce it. Clearly the reps know it. And in a normal world Verizon would have been at least mentioned in last nights launch event (have you ever seen an unpacked-style even where the carriers weren't named?). They were certainly all over the Motorola RAZR event.

And if the phone were truly unimportant (i.e. just a developers phone) Verizon/Samsung would not have cared enough to make a correction. No, something is up. And P3Droid has confirmed that something is up, as has the VZW insider on Phandroid. No one has said what is up, but given Verizon's history I think it's fair to have suspicions.
    10-19-2011 07:20 PM
    It wouldn't make much sense for Verizon to not want this phone on their network either. Verizon has just as much to lose as Google and Samsung would if the deal were to fall through.

This phone is huge for everyone. I'd be thoroughly surprised to not see it hit Verizon in November considering the whole "Verizon Wireless" branding on the promo video and such.

I think we all need to take a chill pill and relax. Verizon won't decimate the Nexus brand with bloatware either. This thing will literally print money for all three companies, so it makes no sense for one to back out. At all.
    Keep in mind that no other carrier is the biggest and has best 4G LTE network. Verizon will have other models, because the manufactures will want their products running on their network to gain custom base. Until AT&T catches up, there's only Sprint. And their coverage is worse than AT&T.
    10-19-2011 07:41 PM
    First off remember this just a ordinary android phone. It will not get the marketing push like the Droid branded phones. The Droid branded phones are vzw top tier phone. Also this just a plain ol stock android phone it will not sell very well. Every day bloaks want flashband piez not plain and borrowing. Ordinary folks could give a ratz azz about unloacked boot loaders. I think vzw wanted this branded as a Droid phone and google / Sammy said no. If you don't like how vzw runs there business model then leave there's no one holding u back just walk away. Vzw has never been kind to developer community so speak with tour wallet. Because when u leave 3 more people sign up.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    greydarrah likes this.
    10-19-2011 07:44 PM
    Not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but looks like Samsung is confirming Verizon out of the gate.
    https://www.facebook.com/SamsungMobi...50317622831786
    Where does it say that?
    10-19-2011 07:51 PM
    I would be very pissed if this does not come to VZW. But at least there is a backup plan in the RAZR. But first choice is still the Galaxy Nexus.
    10-19-2011 07:57 PM
    Where does it say that?
    It doesn't anymore, they had to walk it back. It's on a thread on their Facebook page.
    10-19-2011 07:57 PM
    First off remember this just a ordinary android phone. It will not get the marketing push like the Droid branded phones. The Droid branded phones are vzw top tier phone. Also this just a plain ol stock android phone it will not sell very well. Every day bloaks want flashband piez not plain and borrowing.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    i would have agreed with you before i saw ICS. i think the days of skinned Android are over, thank god!! not to say that skins didnt advance the Android platform by making a rather dull GUI sparkle or what have you. Mamufacturers are going to have to come up with something else to diferentiate their warez cuz ICS is the shiz i tell you.
    10-19-2011 07:59 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD