An open letter to Verizon on the Galaxy Nexus

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Dear Verizon,

I first joined your network out of a lack of choice. At the time I lived in a small, sparsely populated state, and your network was quite literally the only game in town. A couple years ago I started paying you even more money when I got my first smartphone, a Blackberry Storm. The Storm wasn't everything I'd hoped; with poor browsing and app support your data plan seemed like a silly expense, but I stuck with you through it. When the Droid X came out, I finally got a phone that actually made use of all that bandwidth I'd been paying for. I've watched with excitement as you rolled out your shiny new 4G network, and I'm excited about moving up to a 4G smartphone. Yet despite your huge lead with your network, I'm closer to leaving than ever before.

You see, your absence last night was noticed. Maybe it was understandable - I've heard there is some strain between you and the Nexus team over marketing, and this was after all an international event, so maybe an announcement would have been out of place. But I've also heard more ominous rumors. Leaks that you don't like parts of the Nexus. Perhaps how open or unbloated the OS is. Or that it gives consumers a choice between ecosystems you don't like (e.g. Google Wallet). So let me give you some friendly advice:

Don't meddle with this phone.

Really, just don't. Don't try to force them to lock it down so developers can't use it. Don't try to limit my choice as a consumer about who's market I buy my apps from, how I SMS, or what sort of digital wallet I use. This isn't an idle threat - I'm close enough to the end of my contract that the price isn't prohibitive to buy myself out of it. If you insist on deciding "for me" who's services I select, then I will simply select another carrier's services.

Don't get me wrong, I know you are insecure. Numerous times your CEO has talked about how you don't want to be just a "dumb pipe" company. Like any company you want to pad your margins by layering in other services you can charge for. And I fully encourage you to do so. But you need to do it by creating compelling services that I chose to use over what's available, not by locking out competing services. The former is pro-consumer, and shows you believe you can compete head-on in a healthy market of competition. The latter suggests you feel you cannot compete, but that you will leverage your position as the gate-holder to a network to force your customers to use your services.

The choice really is up to you. I want nothing more than an open Nexus phone on your 4G network. By retaining me you would have the chance to demonstrate that Verizon's service offerings are worth using and/or paying for. If you decide that I should only be allowed to access your services, then there will be zero chance I will ever use them, because I will be on another carrier.

So please, stop whatever "negotiations" are going on with this phone. Announce it and offer it in its original and intended state as soon as possible. And look at it as a chance to win people over, not as a way that you could lose people to other ecosystems. Because if you insist upon looking at it that way, you WILL lose people to other ecosystems.

Sincerely,

-Scott

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
The phones in the demo videos had VZW branding on them, what you see in those videos IS the VZW version and we're way to late in the game for them to change that.

It's not a Nexus device is it's anything but a Pure Google Experience...
Nexus devices are unlocked and bloatware free. I don't see this one being any different just because of VZW.

Reactions: MetalPhoenix79

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
The phones in the demo videos had VZW branding on them, what you see in those videos IS the VZW version and we're way to late in the game for them to change that.

Nexus devices are unlocked and bloatware free. I don't see this one being any different just because of VZW.

Really ? All the demo videos I watched did not show any Verizon carrier logo or anything like that, and from what I have read, yes the Galaxy-Nexus is indeed a "pure" vanilla device, with no carrier apps/bloatware.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Alas, but adding bloatware or removing an app doesn't take weeks or months the way other changes do. Several reliable community people have indicated that there are some shenanigans going on behind the scenes right now, and I just think consumers ought to remind Verizon that it does matter to us.

That sounds nice, but the word "Nexus" doesn't appear in any law book. It's just a brand - and that brand can be slapped on anything if Google and Verizon agree to it. It shouldn't be different (that's my point, in fact), but again it sounds like Verizon has been reconsidering, and I think it behooves us to let them know they shouldn't.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
OP

So are you insinuating that VZW will be the first carrier to load bloatware on a Nexus device? First carrier to lockdown a Nexus device?

I really think you are making a much to do over nothing. Kinda "Chicken Little" if you ask me.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
So are you insinuating that VZW will be the first carrier to load bloatware on a Nexus device? First carrier to lockdown a Nexus device?

I really think you are making a much to do over nothing. Kinda "Chicken Little" if you ask me.

I hope you're right.

Outside of P3Droid indicating something was up (but not yet panic-worthy) on Twitter and the admittedly sketchy rumor over at NFC Rumors, a Verizon insider that leaked stuff to Phandroid also said things were very tense between Verizon and Google/Samsung over this phone right now. So it's not like I'm making it up - and if it turns out everything is alright, then I'll be delighted to be wrong about my concern.

Last edited:

revickulous2001

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
OP

The photo that shows "Verizon Wireless" in the notification bar already shows that the "pure Google experience" has been tampered with. Clearly, VZW has at least splashed their logo around the place.

Hopefully, that's the extent of the damage (or that was just there for the marketing during the event). But nothing with VZW surprises me. If any carrier out there would pollute Nexus, it's Verizon.

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Could the "Verizon Wireless" in the notification bar be a carrier indicator and not "branding" per se?

Good point, my Nexus-S 4G does show the name "Sprint" in the pull down notification bar, and I am rooted with AdFree. Never really noticed it before.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully, that's the extent of the damage (or that was just there for the marketing during the event). But nothing with VZW surprises me. If any carrier out there would pollute Nexus, it's Verizon.

That's how I feel too (obviously). I don't personally really care about the branding on the back, but it just reinforces my larger concern that Verizon may be trying to strong-arm this. After all, Samsung and Google have a lot to lose if Verizon decides not to carry it.

Blitzdroid

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I think verizin haven't announce galaxy nexus yet because they just announce razr. Go to verizon website and razr is promoted and advertised. Verizon has always been big on advertising the motorola droid series.

The nexus might only get a pr statement a week before release and that's it.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I agree that the Verizon in the notification just may mean that's the carrier it's on. If that's all there is, along with the 4G LTE symbol on the back, that's not a big deal to me.

The Motorola Xoom is pure Google so, I don't see why they wouldn't allow the GN to be. They have plenty of other phones with their branding on it.

SuperTongue

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
It wouldn't make much sense for Verizon to not want this phone on their network either. Verizon has just as much to lose as Google and Samsung would if the deal were to fall through.

This phone is huge for everyone. I'd be thoroughly surprised to not see it hit Verizon in November considering the whole "Verizon Wireless" branding on the promo video and such.

I think we all need to take a chill pill and relax. Verizon won't decimate the Nexus brand with bloatware either. This thing will literally print money for all three companies, so it makes no sense for one to back out. At all.

Reactions: MetalPhoenix79

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I believe that everyone has the right to make their ideas known on these forums. While I read quite a few I choose to respond to only a few and to be OP on even fewer.

The OP has the right to his opinion as stated in the opener here but the logic is such a total outlier that it seems to be approaching paranoia. I've read his comments in other threads and in each one he keeps putting out the idea that VZW is actively scheming and plotting to thwart this phone and even the very idea of a "Nexus" device and will possibly not even carry the phone, but if they do, they may be adding their bloatware to it or at least some of it.

I think a number of things about VZW based on the time I've been with them (only two years) and some of it isn't pretty. But what is being put out in here is just weird - and not in a good way!

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I've read his comments in other threads and in each one he keeps putting out the idea that VZW is actively scheming and plotting to thwart this phone and even the very idea of a "Nexus" device and will possibly not even carry the phone, but if they do, they may be adding their bloatware to it or at least some of it.

I'm sorry, but you clearly have not read my comments in other threads very closely. I have never once suggested that Verizon won't carry the phone. I've actively supported the idea that the phone is coming to Verizon since the news was leaked here on AC months ago (Phil has an excellent trackrecord). In September I noted several times that Verizon actually seemed to want to position the Galaxy Nexus against the iPhone 4S, and was even anticipating perhaps a bigger marketing push by them (although their presence at the RAZR launch might suggest that phone is their bigger priority).

All I was doing here was noting that several people with good track records (and a couple of sites with less than good track records) have indicated that Verizon isn't thrilled with how things have gone down, and may be negotiating to try and Verizon-ize the phone a bit more. I've always said they were rumors, but some of them are from people with good track records. If it is true, by the time we find out it really would be too late, so I thought it would be worth a discussion now so people could share their support for a true Nexus/Google experience on the Verizon version.

I'm not sure why you think it's bizarre - it's not like any of it is new; Verizon has been doing this sort of thing for years, on pretty much every smartphone they've shipped outside of the iPhone. It's not some sort of crazy conspiracy theory, it's just a way of life at Verizon. Nor am I trying to rain on the ICS parade - I think this is the largest and best overhaul of their operating system (maybe any mobile OS) yet. I'm just not confident that Verizon can leave well enough alone.

But hopefully they will. Some sort of consumer awareness would help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana