10-25-2011 11:28 AM
61 123
tools
    Question is, would Sprint still sell the Galaxy Nexus with LTE now and tell customers they will get 4G later?
    They did that with the EVO.

Good point.
    crzycrkr likes this.
    10-19-2011 02:35 PM
    I had Sprint for my personal line for 9 years, my work line was with Verizon. Based on the data speeds and Sprint loosing a roaming agreement for an area I frequent; I made the decision to move my personal line to Verizon and pay the Sprint ETF to make sure I got in while VZW still had the Unlimited plans to grandfather. Best decision I have made in mobile for a long time. List of items better with VZW:

• Customer Service
    • 3G speeds
    • 4G speeds
    • Voice network

And with my work discount I'm only paying $6 more per month for a plan equal in specs.
    All where you live. I've been with Sprint for 12 years, have lived on both coasts and Illinois, and have never had a single issue. Customer service is very hit or miss with all companies, but Sprints has become much better, earning them high marks recently. And Sprints data is still completely unlimited. Verizons "unlimited" was never truly so. It still all comes down to choosing the network best for you, and then buying a phone. There's always something better on the horizon. By Christmas we'll be looking at leaks for a phone to put the Nexus to shame when it comes to hardware.
    10-19-2011 02:38 PM
    All where you live. I've been with Sprint for 12 years, have lived on both coasts and Illinois, and have never had a single issue. Customer service is very hit or miss with all companies, but Sprints has become much better, earning them high marks recently. And Sprints data is still completely unlimited. Verizons "unlimited" was never truly so. It still all comes down to choosing the network best for you, and then buying a phone. There's always something better on the horizon. By Christmas we'll be looking at leaks for a phone to put the Nexus to shame when it comes to hardware.
    Very true, I don't think I insinuated anything other than YMMV. But based on my location in the USs 8th largest city and not having 4G at all, loosing roaming agreements that they had on VZWs network, and abysmal 3G speeds in-general it was quite easy to make my move.

Have I been places where Sprints 3G and 4G were fast? Yes I have, but now with VZW I realize that I just thought they were fast because I didnt know better.
    10-19-2011 02:50 PM
    I'm leaning toward leaving Sprint for AT&T. Sounds like there is going to be an AT&T phone that is thinner (no 4g radio and/or smaller battery) than the Verizon version.

I don't use 4g on my Nexus all that often. I guess I could move to Verizon and keep 4g radios off until when they are needed, but when is that?
    10-19-2011 03:10 PM
    Sprints 4g speeds are a joke, especially if your inside. I switched my main line to Verizon and lost my unlimited data and could care less. At 10 buck/gb over, isnt much. What could is unlimited data if you get no service. Of course depends on location but Verizon LTE is everywhere i go
    10-19-2011 03:34 PM
    I think we wont see the Nexus on Sprint until next year. Probably middle of January.

I am also willing to bet that the Nexus we see on Sprint wont be the same Nexus we see now. Most likely will have some bumped up specs.
    crzycrkr likes this.
    10-19-2011 03:34 PM
    I left Sprint, well, for just being Sprint and never looked back. In my area and my experience I had nothing but problems with Sprint's network. It's been a while, and maybe it's improved, but I've been with VZW for years now and nothing has persuaded me to leave.
    10-19-2011 04:13 PM
    http://www.androidcentral.com/samsun...-7-us-carriers

Definetly a good sign this phone will make it to other carriers. I remember the same page was setup for the SII.
    Lucki and crzycrkr like this.
    10-19-2011 07:18 PM
    If this is not released on all major carriers GOOGLE, just crapped the bed. Hasn't thier marketing department learned anything from Apples mistakes?
    Lucki and crzycrkr like this.
    10-19-2011 07:45 PM
    I really want the Galaxy-Nexus, but do I want to leave Sprint for it ? Normally Verizon has poor choice of Android devices, that don't interest me at all, where as Sprint has been the #1 Android carrier in the U.S. lately. This year alone they got the Nexus-S 4G...EVO-3D...Photon 4G...Galaxy S II...

And Verizon got the Thunderbolt ...Bionic ...Droid # 30 or whatever version they on now

I feel the Galaxy-Nexus is like a Galaxy S 2.5, yes it better than the current Galaxy S2 mainly due to the new ICS, and better HD screen, but that's about it, but the Galaxy S3 is said to be out a little earlier like Spring 2012, which will be a HUGE upgrade.

So my options are to leave Sprint now for the Galaxy-Nexus, or stick with Sprint, and maybe get their Galaxy S2, and root and hope for ICS ROM And then I am sure Sprint will get the Galaxy S3 pretty quick too ?

I currently own a rooted Nexus-S 4G, like the phone, but really want something with a larger AMOLED screen, and a bit thinner.
    No, it will eventually get to the other carriers, including Sprint.
    10-20-2011 12:39 AM
    I think we wont see the Nexus on Sprint until next year. Probably middle of January.

I am also willing to bet that the Nexus we see on Sprint wont be the same Nexus we see now. Most likely will have some bumped up specs.
    That's what I was thinking. That they would release the Galaxy Nexus on Sprint with LTE on board, just not activated and then once they have their LTE network up, they would push out an update to activate the LTE radio.
    10-20-2011 12:40 AM
    The question is will the GN even be relevant by time it hits Sprint? Seriously if LTE isn't ready until mid next year, exactly how many better phones will be out by then?

Ok, pure Google experience, no Rom flashing required, true. But this freaking stings as a 10 year Sprint vet.

In nyc phone service is good but data is a joke most of the time. Overutilized towers in a dense city maybe?

Anyway, because I don't have to think about data usage, or even phone minutes since I only call mobiles, switching to VZW is going to be dumb. Also, Am I the only person who prefers telenav over Google nav and refuses to pay for it when I get it free on Sprint?

I think someone had the best solution which was get the galaxy 2, and flash ICS when its available. Cuz you can bet Samsung will take their sweet time. Just hope 4g and gps are reliable in the rom.

- Sent from my HTC eVo with Tapatalk
    10-20-2011 01:07 AM
    I really want the Galaxy-Nexus, but do I want to leave Sprint for it ? Normally Verizon has poor choice of Android devices, that don't interest me at all, where as Sprint has been the #1 Android carrier in the U.S. lately. This year alone they got the Nexus-S 4G...EVO-3D...Photon 4G...Galaxy S II...

And Verizon got the Thunderbolt ...Bionic ...Droid # 30 or whatever version they on now
    Okay. I come before you now stating up front that I am in fact a Verizon salesman, so you can take this with a grain of salt, but here we go:

First of all, network:
    $80 a month for unlimited data on a crappy 4G network that Sprint has admitted they're no longer actively building out
    $90 a month for 2GB of data on a much, much faster 4G connection that has much more reliable coverage around the country

At Verizon we throw around the line "96% of our customers have never gone over 2GB of data in a month" Of course, 96% of Verizon customers don't visit websites like this, so again, grain of salt.

Anyway, that sales pitch out of the way, let me speak a bit honestly.

EVO 3D vs Thunderbolt? EVO wins.
    Bionic/X2/Droid 3 vs Photon? Between the reviews I've seen and the constant customer complaints I get at work, Photon wins in my book. Of course I just feel that anyone who buys Motorola anymore is asking for a headache, but that's neither here nor there.
    Droid Charge vs GSII? Easily the GSII.

There isn't a matchup of same-manufacturer phones that Verizon beats Sprint in. Sprint flat out has the better phones. I'd go so far as to say Sprint has a -reputation- for having the best lineup, and my following of the market supports that for at least the past two years, with the original Droid the only outlier.

I'd say, by my estimates, you're right about the Nexus basically being a GS2.5. So the question's gonna come down to how much you like Sprint. How important a faster 4G connection is to you. Because rooting the GS2 and putting ICS on it is likely less than a couple months away from being an option.
    10-20-2011 01:42 AM
    Okay. I come before you now stating up front that I am in fact a Verizon salesman, so you can take this with a grain of salt, but here we go:

First of all, network:
    $80 a month for unlimited data on a crappy 4G network that Sprint has admitted they're no longer actively building out
    $90 a month for 2GB of data on a much, much faster 4G connection that has much more reliable coverage around the country

At Verizon we throw around the line "96% of our customers have never gone over 2GB of data in a month" Of course, 96% of Verizon customers don't visit websites like this, so again, grain of salt.

Anyway, that sales pitch out of the way, let me speak a bit honestly.

EVO 3D vs Thunderbolt? EVO wins.
    Bionic/X2/Droid 3 vs Photon? Between the reviews I've seen and the constant customer complaints I get at work, Photon wins in my book. Of course I just feel that anyone who buys Motorola anymore is asking for a headache, but that's neither here nor there.
    Droid Charge vs GSII? Easily the GSII.

There isn't a matchup of same-manufacturer phones that Verizon beats Sprint in. Sprint flat out has the better phones. I'd go so far as to say Sprint has a -reputation- for having the best lineup, and my following of the market supports that for at least the past two years, with the original Droid the only outlier.

I'd say, by my estimates, you're right about the Nexus basically being a GS2.5. So the question's gonna come down to how much you like Sprint. How important a faster 4G connection is to you. Because rooting the GS2 and putting ICS on it is likely less than a couple months away from being an option.
    Also to Zorachus, if you're having trouble wondering if you're able to use less than 2GB of data in a month, consider how often you are on wi-fi, it makes a huge difference.
    10-20-2011 03:12 AM
    @firelightx, you're the first sales rep I know that knows what they are talking about Kudos to you!
    10-20-2011 03:13 AM

I feel the Galaxy-Nexus is like a Galaxy S 2.5, yes it better than the current Galaxy S2 mainly due to the new ICS, and better HD screen, but that's about it, but the Galaxy S3 is said to be out a little earlier like Spring 2012, which will be a HUGE upgrade.

So my options are to leave Sprint now for the Galaxy-Nexus, or stick with Sprint, and maybe get their Galaxy S2, and root and hope for ICS ROM And then I am sure Sprint will get the Galaxy S3 pretty quick too ?

I currently own a rooted Nexus-S 4G, like the phone, but really want something with a larger AMOLED screen, and a bit thinner.
    I'm already a VZW customer so I can't speak to whether or not it would be worth it for you to switch carriers just for the Galaxy Nexus. In my opinion, that's something only you can decide.

As for the device itself, a lot of people are talking about how the specs aren't as good as they should be, or that Device X is coming and it's going to be better than the Galaxy Nexus, etc. etc. What detractors seem to forget is that, at the end of the day, this is a Google experience device. That means no bloat, no skins, and no carrier interference from an updates standpoint. Just pure ICS, the way Google intended. That, to me, is huge. This iteration of the Nexus will be the best Android device until the next Nexus comes along (in my opinion).
    10-20-2011 04:18 AM
    I'm also considering leaving Sprint for Big Red and the Nexus. It makes me mad that I use to be able to upgrade every year, 15 year Sprint customer, and in the middle of my 2 year contract they change. The customer service has gotten a lot worse too. Sprint does seem to have the best hardware though.

But, I am leaning towards leaving. I am sick of waiting for the carriers to release upgrades. I know it takes a while, but last November I got a Epic 4g and was told "any day now". Is Gingerbread out for the Epic 4g yet??? The Epic 4g was a "Flagship" phone that was supported for about 30 days. F Samsung. Great product, but horrible support. I sold my Epic in Jan and got a Evo. Got a Nexus S 4g last month from a friend. I will only get Google direct phones from here on out. The widgets are nice, but not worth the wait. Think it is time to part ways with Sprint. 4 years with Nextel and 15 with Sprint. Hello Big Red!
    10-20-2011 02:23 PM
    I'm also considering leaving Sprint for Big Red and the Nexus. It makes me mad that I use to be able to upgrade every year, 15 year Sprint customer, and in the middle of my 2 year contract they change. The customer service has gotten a lot worse too. Sprint does seem to have the best hardware though.

But, I am leaning towards leaving. I am sick of waiting for the carriers to release upgrades. I know it takes a while, but last November I got a Epic 4g and was told "any day now". Is Gingerbread out for the Epic 4g yet??? The Epic 4g was a "Flagship" phone that was supported for about 30 days. F Samsung. Great product, but horrible support. I sold my Epic in Jan and got a Evo. Got a Nexus S 4g last month from a friend. I will only get Google direct phones from here on out. The widgets are nice, but not worth the wait. Think it is time to part ways with Sprint. 4 years with Nextel and 15 with Sprint. Hello Big Red!
    You are the first person I have heard say Sprint customer service is getting worse. You had a bad experience, because it has gotten much better and received top marks lately. Verizon customer service is not all that great either. Go with the best carrier for you, because Sprint will very likely be getting the Nexus also
    10-20-2011 02:31 PM
    You are the first person I have heard say Sprint customer service is getting worse. You had a bad experience, because it has gotten much better and received top marks lately. Verizon customer service is not all that great either. Go with the best carrier for you, because Sprint will very likely be getting the Nexus also
    Verizon has the best customer service out of all of them. I have had pretty much every carrier except AT&T so I actually can't speak about them. Verizon by far has handled every situation that I've called about in a good manner. Every time I have had a hardware issue that could not be fixed a new device was overnighted to me for free. Verizon without a doubt has awesome customer service and I personally think that nobody can come close to them. Now, as far as hardware that's offered goes, they absolutely SUCK. I must admit that I am very let down by the hardware that Verizon has offered over the past year. It just bugs me that we've got stuck with some crappy phones that they try to market at cutting edge tech. I really wish we could just buy a phone and pick the carrier we'd like to use like they do in Europe. That would make so much more sense to me.
    10-20-2011 02:47 PM
    Verizon has the best customer service out of all of them. I have had pretty much every carrier except AT&T so I actually can't speak about them. Verizon by far has handled every situation that I've called about in a good manner. Every time I have had a hardware issue that could not be fixed a new device was overnighted to me for free. Verizon without a doubt has awesome customer service and I personally think that nobody can come close to them. Now, as far as hardware that's offered goes, they absolutely SUCK. I must admit that I am very let down by the hardware that Verizon has offered over the past year. It just bugs me that we've got stuck with some crappy phones that they try to market at cutting edge tech. I really wish we could just buy a phone and pick the carrier we'd like to use like they do in Europe. That would make so much more sense to me.
    Having the best customer service in wireless is kind of like having the best house in Compton, lol. Everyone I know that has Verizon hates the customer service, but it is all dependent on who helps you. Sprint was even with them in the last report I had read from one of the big names. I don't remember if it was consumer reports, or whatnot, but it was one of the well known places.
    10-20-2011 03:06 PM
    Verizon has been pretty nazi like ever since they have gotten the iPhone. They havent been treating their long time customers as well either
    10-20-2011 04:11 PM
    1. add up UNLIMITED Voice, Data, and Texts and Verizon is much more expensive than $10/month vs. Sprint. IMO nobody can touch Sprint's value for the money.
    2. Sprint and Verizon share CDMA towers. personally i've been all over the country and never had a service issue with Sprint where a Verizon customer didn't have the same issue.
    3. i'll take the $$$$$$ savings and send it to my mutual fund every month - not to those bastards at Verizon. the rich get richer because they don't **** away money every month. "beware of small leaks - they can sink a ship."

good luck all.
    crzycrkr likes this.
    10-20-2011 06:51 PM
    NO it is definatelly NOT worth it. Espetially now that Verizon doesnt have unlimited data. WHY would anyone pay them more to get less?? I dont know what your usage is like so its up to you. Even though my usage is pretty low i wouldnt jump because i just dont like the concept of being limited ...and paying more for it.

Btw, just because there is a newer and better phone coming out it doesnt mean yur current one is suddenly a pos (unless it really is a pos). There is no reason why we cant wait a couple of months untill it comes to Sprint. Im perfectly content rocking my Epic 4g with a custom rom and a launcher. it has no problems at all! Rock solid.
    10-20-2011 07:19 PM
    well I am planning on making the switch to either verizon or at&t next month from sprint...and I won't lie part of it has to do with this phone but the other(bigger part) is that data is s slow here and there is only a small part of my city that has wimax towers...I am honestly leaning more closley to At&t though because of the fact that they have an option you can ad to have all mobile phone calls be free unlike verizon but verizon is still in the running because of this phone...that being said if At&t gets this phone as well next month then verizon is not in the running for me.
    10-20-2011 11:06 PM
    I am probably going to leave Sprint due to the terrible speed, it can't even stream music from google music without buffering. The 4G LTE is calling me :P. If somehow they get their act together I'd consider going back but I'm pretty convinced I'll be dumping them and getting the Nexus with Verizon.

I don't use more than 2 GB of data every month anyways since it's on wifi at home and I use Google Voice for texting, so I don't need to give them money for texts.
    10-21-2011 03:16 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD