Worth leaving Sprint for the G-Nexus ?

Iceman0803

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I really want the Galaxy-Nexus, but do I want to leave Sprint for it ? Normally Verizon has poor choice of Android devices, that don't interest me at all, where as Sprint has been the #1 Android carrier in the U.S. lately. This year alone they got the Nexus-S 4G...EVO-3D...Photon 4G...Galaxy S II...

And Verizon got the Thunderbolt :( ...Bionic :( ...Droid # 30 :( or whatever version they on now

I feel the Galaxy-Nexus is like a Galaxy S 2.5, yes it better than the current Galaxy S2 mainly due to the new ICS, and better HD screen, but that's about it, but the Galaxy S3 is said to be out a little earlier like Spring 2012, which will be a HUGE upgrade.

So my options are to leave Sprint now for the Galaxy-Nexus, or stick with Sprint, and maybe get their Galaxy S2, and root and hope for ICS ROM And then I am sure Sprint will get the Galaxy S3 pretty quick too ?

I currently own a rooted Nexus-S 4G, like the phone, but really want something with a larger AMOLED screen, and a bit thinner.

I'm already a VZW customer so I can't speak to whether or not it would be worth it for you to switch carriers just for the Galaxy Nexus. In my opinion, that's something only you can decide.

As for the device itself, a lot of people are talking about how the specs aren't as good as they should be, or that Device X is coming and it's going to be better than the Galaxy Nexus, etc. etc. What detractors seem to forget is that, at the end of the day, this is a Google experience device. That means no bloat, no skins, and no carrier interference from an updates standpoint. Just pure ICS, the way Google intended. That, to me, is huge. This iteration of the Nexus will be the best Android device until the next Nexus comes along (in my opinion).

alex737

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm also considering leaving Sprint for Big Red and the Nexus. It makes me mad that I use to be able to upgrade every year, 15 year Sprint customer, and in the middle of my 2 year contract they change. The customer service has gotten a lot worse too. Sprint does seem to have the best hardware though.

But, I am leaning towards leaving. I am sick of waiting for the carriers to release upgrades. I know it takes a while, but last November I got a Epic 4g and was told "any day now". Is Gingerbread out for the Epic 4g yet??? The Epic 4g was a "Flagship" phone that was supported for about 30 days. F Samsung. Great product, but horrible support. I sold my Epic in Jan and got a Evo. Got a Nexus S 4g last month from a friend. I will only get Google direct phones from here on out. The widgets are nice, but not worth the wait. Think it is time to part ways with Sprint. 4 years with Nextel and 15 with Sprint. Hello Big Red!

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm also considering leaving Sprint for Big Red and the Nexus. It makes me mad that I use to be able to upgrade every year, 15 year Sprint customer, and in the middle of my 2 year contract they change. The customer service has gotten a lot worse too. Sprint does seem to have the best hardware though.

But, I am leaning towards leaving. I am sick of waiting for the carriers to release upgrades. I know it takes a while, but last November I got a Epic 4g and was told "any day now". Is Gingerbread out for the Epic 4g yet??? The Epic 4g was a "Flagship" phone that was supported for about 30 days. F Samsung. Great product, but horrible support. I sold my Epic in Jan and got a Evo. Got a Nexus S 4g last month from a friend. I will only get Google direct phones from here on out. The widgets are nice, but not worth the wait. Think it is time to part ways with Sprint. 4 years with Nextel and 15 with Sprint. Hello Big Red!

You are the first person I have heard say Sprint customer service is getting worse. You had a bad experience, because it has gotten much better and received top marks lately. Verizon customer service is not all that great either. Go with the best carrier for you, because Sprint will very likely be getting the Nexus also

borgey401

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
You are the first person I have heard say Sprint customer service is getting worse. You had a bad experience, because it has gotten much better and received top marks lately. Verizon customer service is not all that great either. Go with the best carrier for you, because Sprint will very likely be getting the Nexus also

Verizon has the best customer service out of all of them. I have had pretty much every carrier except AT&T so I actually can't speak about them. Verizon by far has handled every situation that I've called about in a good manner. Every time I have had a hardware issue that could not be fixed a new device was overnighted to me for free. Verizon without a doubt has awesome customer service and I personally think that nobody can come close to them. Now, as far as hardware that's offered goes, they absolutely SUCK. I must admit that I am very let down by the hardware that Verizon has offered over the past year. It just bugs me that we've got stuck with some crappy phones that they try to market at cutting edge tech. I really wish we could just buy a phone and pick the carrier we'd like to use like they do in Europe. That would make so much more sense to me.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Verizon has the best customer service out of all of them. I have had pretty much every carrier except AT&T so I actually can't speak about them. Verizon by far has handled every situation that I've called about in a good manner. Every time I have had a hardware issue that could not be fixed a new device was overnighted to me for free. Verizon without a doubt has awesome customer service and I personally think that nobody can come close to them. Now, as far as hardware that's offered goes, they absolutely SUCK. I must admit that I am very let down by the hardware that Verizon has offered over the past year. It just bugs me that we've got stuck with some crappy phones that they try to market at cutting edge tech. I really wish we could just buy a phone and pick the carrier we'd like to use like they do in Europe. That would make so much more sense to me.

Having the best customer service in wireless is kind of like having the best house in Compton, lol. Everyone I know that has Verizon hates the customer service, but it is all dependent on who helps you. Sprint was even with them in the last report I had read from one of the big names. I don't remember if it was consumer reports, or whatnot, but it was one of the well known places.

OhioG

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Verizon has been pretty nazi like ever since they have gotten the iPhone. They havent been treating their long time customers as well either

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
1. add up UNLIMITED Voice, Data, and Texts and Verizon is much more expensive than $10/month vs. Sprint. IMO nobody can touch Sprint's value for the money.
2. Sprint and Verizon share CDMA towers. personally i've been all over the country and never had a service issue with Sprint where a Verizon customer didn't have the same issue.
3. i'll take the $$$$$$ savings and send it to my mutual fund every month - not to those bastards at Verizon. the rich get richer because they don't piss away money every month. "beware of small leaks - they can sink a ship."

good luck all.

Reactions: crzycrkr

cheburashka

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
NO it is definatelly NOT worth it. Espetially now that Verizon doesnt have unlimited data. WHY would anyone pay them more to get less?? I dont know what your usage is like so its up to you. Even though my usage is pretty low i wouldnt jump because i just dont like the concept of being limited ...and paying more for it.

Btw, just because there is a newer and better phone coming out it doesnt mean yur current one is suddenly a pos (unless it really is a pos). There is no reason why we cant wait a couple of months untill it comes to Sprint. Im perfectly content rocking my Epic 4g with a custom rom and a launcher. it has no problems at all! Rock solid.

Last edited:

djwyman

May 12, 2011
Visit site
well I am planning on making the switch to either verizon or at&t next month from sprint...and I won't lie part of it has to do with this phone but the other(bigger part) is that data is s slow here and there is only a small part of my city that has wimax towers...I am honestly leaning more closley to At&t though because of the fact that they have an option you can ad to have all mobile phone calls be free unlike verizon but verizon is still in the running because of this phone...that being said if At&t gets this phone as well next month then verizon is not in the running for me.

vaportrail

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I am probably going to leave Sprint due to the terrible speed, it can't even stream music from google music without buffering. The 4G LTE is calling me :p. If somehow they get their act together I'd consider going back but I'm pretty convinced I'll be dumping them and getting the Nexus with Verizon.

I don't use more than 2 GB of data every month anyways since it's on wifi at home and I use Google Voice for texting, so I don't need to give them money for texts.

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

It makes sense that all the carriers would get this phone sooner or later.

I am little surprised though we are seeing this so early for Sprint. (this is just a package slip and could easily be a fake)

If its real, does that mean there is a CDMA version only? Will Sprint carry the LTE phone and the LTE part be doormant until their LTE services are up and running?

Lots of questions come up now with this new information.

If all this is true and this document is real then I am thinking the Verizon exclusive will not be for long at all. Maybe a month or so if that.

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Crossing fingers, but it looks like Sprint might betting the Galaxy-Nexus soon :) They make a good point, saying "We wrote about this on the night the Galaxy Nexus was unveiled because it just doesn?t seem right. Sprint and Google have been in bed together for awhile now. Sprint is allowing Google to use their network to experiment on. With Google Voice and Google Wallet, the nation?s third largest carrier is letting the Big G beta test with their customers"

Sprint Galaxy Nexus tipped in leaked purchase order | Android and Me

Thanks to a leaked purchase order obtained by Brief Mobile, it looks like a Sprint Nexus may be coming sooner than later.

nucubs

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I was hoping some of you could help me figure out a hypothetical situation. If AT&T and Verizon release the phone around the same time, which carrier would you recommend I go with? I already know I'm leaving Sprint. Here in Chicago, AT&T's download speeds are 4-5x faster than Verizon LTE. Yes, LTE here in Chicago is pretty amazing, but if I can get DSL speeds on my phone, I'd be pretty happy. I don't think I really need 15-30 mbps. And considering LTE's reputation for eating battery, I'd probably spend most of the time on 3G if I went with Verizon, anyways. The other factor is that I'm in a family plan with others who want the iPhone 4S, which would certainly not perform as well on Verizon's network.

If you were in my position, would you go with AT&T?

Also, can someone explain to me why PCMag.com got better stream success rates on Verizon's 3G than on AT&T in Chicago? What could cause that? I know the difference isn't big, but I'm curious what other factors to consider. Is the connection just not as reliable?

The Fastest Mobile Networks 2011 - Chicago, IL | PCMag.com

Thanks.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
You might wanna give up on Sprint before they get it. Based on the fact that Sprints unlimited plan is currently killing them, at the monent. I can't attest to it personally, but reports are making the rounds, that the influx of iPhone 4S owners are crippling their WiMax network speeds, is seemingly throttling users access. I'm not big on adding to the old rumor mill but, BriefMobile, reports that an internal shipping invoice for Sprints variant of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus(it's listed as Nexus Prime) was discovered that had a request for promo. materials w/ a scheduled shipping date out for those materials listed as 10/17/11. It's likely a fraudulent doc., but who knows? .

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
You might wanna give up on Sprint before they get it. Based on the fact that Sprints unlimited plan is currently killing them, at the monent. I can't attest to it personally, but reports are making the rounds, that the influx of iPhone 4S owners are crippling their WiMax network speeds, is seemingly throttling users access. I'm not big on adding to the old rumor mill but, BriefMobile, reports that an internal shipping invoice for Sprints variant of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus(it's listed as Nexus Prime) was discovered that had a request for promo. materials w/ a scheduled shipping date out for those materials listed as 10/17/11. It's likely a fraudulent doc., but who knows? .

Sprint is only killing unlimited HOTSPOT plans, not smartphone plans. Also, the iPhone 4S has no 4G radio (still has 3G only) so it has no effect on the Wimax towers.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone 4S is not on their wimax network.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Sprint is only killing unlimited HOTSPOT plans, not smartphone plans. Also, the iPhone 4S has no 4G radio (still has 3G only) so it has no effect on the Wimax towers.

The iPhone 4S is not on their wimax network.

Absolutely, right guys, I'm fully aware of the info. I'm not sure what's up w/ me today, yet another brain fart, on my part. That's #2 on the day for me, better quit posting b4 I make #3. Say goodnight, Gracie........Goodnight, Gracie.:p

Article link: Sprint, Apple said to be cooking up iPhone 4S 3G speed fix | Apple Talk - CNET News

murdermitten

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Also, can someone explain to me why PCMag.com got better stream success rates on Verizon's 3G than on AT&T in Chicago? What could cause that? I know the difference isn't big, but I'm curious what other factors to consider. Is the connection just not as reliable?

AT&T is absolutely terrible within city limits.

Also, laughing at people mentioning the galaxy s 3.

It's going to be the same deal next year when it's released in Europe early in the year and takes an extra 6 months to release subsidized here.

Otherwise, enjoy paying $1k for an unlocked lte gs3.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
1. add up UNLIMITED Voice, Data, and Texts and Verizon is much more expensive than $10/month vs. Sprint. IMO nobody can touch Sprint's value for the money.
2. Sprint and Verizon share CDMA towers. personally i've been all over the country and never had a service issue with Sprint where a Verizon customer didn't have the same issue.
3. i'll take the $$$$$$ savings and send it to my mutual fund every month - not to those bastards at Verizon. the rich get richer because they don't piss away money every month. "beware of small leaks - they can sink a ship."

good luck all.

Plus Sprint gives free roaming in the U.S. (for calls and free data roaming up to 300 MB I think).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan