Worth leaving Sprint for the G-Nexus ?

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I really want the Galaxy-Nexus, but do I want to leave Sprint for it ? Normally Verizon has poor choice of Android devices, that don't interest me at all, where as Sprint has been the #1 Android carrier in the U.S. lately. This year alone they got the Nexus-S 4G...EVO-3D...Photon 4G...Galaxy S II...

And Verizon got the Thunderbolt :( ...Bionic :( ...Droid # 30 :( or whatever version they on now

I feel the Galaxy-Nexus is like a Galaxy S 2.5, yes it better than the current Galaxy S2 mainly due to the new ICS, and better HD screen, but that's about it, but the Galaxy S3 is said to be out a little earlier like Spring 2012, which will be a HUGE upgrade.

So my options are to leave Sprint now for the Galaxy-Nexus, or stick with Sprint, and maybe get their Galaxy S2, and root and hope for ICS ROM And then I am sure Sprint will get the Galaxy S3 pretty quick too ?

I currently own a rooted Nexus-S 4G, like the phone, but really want something with a larger AMOLED screen, and a bit thinner.

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I'd stick with Sprint and nab the GSII. It's a sweet phone. And this is coming from someone who is grandfathered into unlimited data on VZW. I love VZW's coverage and network, but if you switch you're putting yourself into tiered data and will have to spend more money.

VZW getting this device is an anomaly. If my wife/family weren't on VZW, I would definitely consider a network switch.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
My advice is not to choose a network on the basis of a phone. My experience is that Verizon's network has always been much better than all other networks, both where I live and work as well as when I travel. Now, with 4G LTE, it is all the more attractive. With the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, you would have not only a great device but also the best network. There will be better phones on Verizon next Spring also. Verizon tends to be a little behind other carriers WRT cutting edge phones, but for me the quality of the network and customer service is much more important.

Thanks, Robrecht

cggeek911

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't leave just for a phone. There are too many variables that go into play besides the actual device. Network coverage in your area and cost are the main ones to consider. If you have good coverage in your area with Sprint, just get the SGSII or wait until a worthy successor comes along. I jumped to Sprint simply for a phone and that wasn't the smartest decision on my part. :)

Asterdroid

Fanboi
May 10, 2011
Visit site
I'd stick with Sprint and nab the GSII. It's a sweet phone. And this is coming from someone who is grandfathered into unlimited data on VZW. I love VZW's coverage and network, but if you switch you're putting yourself into tiered data and will have to spend more money.

VZW getting this device is an anomaly. If my wife/family weren't on VZW, I would definitely consider a network switch.

This. Main reason I'm getting the Nexus is I'm already in way too deep with VZW.

anon(120)

Dec 9, 2008
Visit site
I will be leaving Sprint for it, but, mostly because it's a better deal for me. I just bought the Epic 4G Touch last month (and I love it, ZERO complaints about it). But, I'm moving to an area that has zero Sprint coverage, so I can't stick with them. VZW is the best option for me, and the GN is the best phone on VZW, so, it's a pretty simple decision for me.

I agree with you though. VZW seems to get the short end of the stick when it comes to Android phones. I hope they're bucking that trend with the Galaxy Nexus.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
There's still a possibility that Sprint will be getting it, I'd wager they'd be the last one to get it if true, but still possible.

anon(120)

Dec 9, 2008
Visit site
Question is, would it be WiMAX or LTE?

I would say LTE. It's already been announced by Sprint that they're dumping WiMAX in favor of LTE. It would only make sense for them (if they did get a Nexus device) to put it on LTE, since WiMAX is being replaced. Their LTE rollout will take some time, but, I don't think they'd put a high profile devices like a Nexus on a wireless technology that's approaching end of life. Dual LTE/WiMAX though? Maybe.

adambomb6

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm leaving sprint for the Nexus because of the network...once I see what all the details of the phone are when it is officially announced.

I find the sprint network to be terrible. I've had sprint for 11 years and this is my last year. I'll pay a minimum of $10/month more on verizon. It's worth it to me. When sprint gets their 4g LTE act together I may go back in 2 years. I currently have an Evo that I really like. I'm switching because of the network. I'm waiting for the nexus because I'm ready to move to a pure google phone.

I gave up my $30/mo sero plan on sprint to get the first android phone (HTC Hero), and my bill more than doubled but it was worth it.
I then bought an Evo off contract because I wanted 4g and a large screen.
Now I'm going to give up my unlimited data (but with a sucky 4g network how good is that anyway) and pay a bit more for verizon. It is without question worth it to me.

You make the call for yourself.

nucubs

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I'd love to stay with Sprint due to unlimited data, but my experiences with the network here in Chicago have been terrible. I'm not getting close to 3G speeds and call reception has been pretty bad, as well. I gave the E4GT serious consideration, but there are too many reports of people having major signal/radio issues with Sprint. Supposedly Samsung and Sprint are working on it, but I'm not going to rely on a potential fix. Sprint just isn't worth it for me.

I'm jumping to Verizon for the Galaxy Nexus once it's available.

wstevens

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I've been with Sprint since 2002, and always been pretty satisfied with their service. I currently use a Nexus S 4G and plan on sticking with the Nexus line of phones.

Part of me wants to switch to Verizon for the Galaxy Nexus. However, I would be paying about $10-$30 more per month for less features. In the case of my family plan, we would go from 1500 anytime minutes to 1400 anytime minutes. We would lose unlimited calling to any mobile phone and be limited to only unlimited calling to other Verizon phones. Nights would start at 9:00 PM instead of 7:00 PM. Data would be limited to 2GB per line rather than unlimited. We would also lose the ability to take advantage of Sprint's Google Voice integration which my wife and I both use.

The advantages of the switch would be Verizon's larger network (which I can roam on to for free right now) and Verizon's LTE, as well as the Galaxy Nexus. But, most of the people we call are with Sprint or T-Mobile, so they're all free calls. We would lose that and have to keep better track of our anytime minutes. We would also have to keep an eye on data usage. Considering that I haven't really had any problems with Sprint in the past, and I would be paying more for less features, it's hard to justify a switch for the Galaxy Nexus.

My hope is that Sprint will get the Galaxy Nexus in Q2 once they start deploying LTE. I see this as a great flagship device for their upcoming LTE deployment. In the meantime, I'll have to enjoy ICS on my Nexus S 4G. Hopefully we'll see that soon after the Galaxy Nexus launch.

Reactions: giograves

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I'd love to stay with Sprint due to unlimited data, but my experiences with the network here in Chicago have been terrible. I'm not getting close to 3G speeds and call reception has been pretty bad, as well. I gave the E4GT serious consideration, but there are too many reports of people having major signal/radio issues with Sprint. Supposedly Samsung and Sprint are working on it, but I'm not going to rely on a potential fix. Sprint just isn't worth it for me.

I'm jumping to Verizon for the Galaxy Nexus once it's available.

Yes I am in the Chicago_burbs too, and 3G speeds just plain out blow around here this year. Like 100k/sec at best on 3G :( Can't even watch YouTube clips without major buffering and pausing every 30seconds, and loading a standard news website takes way too long. Thank God for WiFi, but when I am out and about it is terrible.

And the south suburbs where my Parents and Sister live in Orland Park is a freaking dead zone for Sprint, almost zero connection down there, and it's no small hick town, there are like 50,000 residents there, would think Sprint would pout up a couple of towers ?

MikeNY

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Wow seems to be a few people in the same boat as me. I have been with Sprint for 13 years and at this point can no longer take their crap service especially when my wife's phone (bionic) always has full bars no matter where we are and the Speedtest is usually 5-10 times better than mine. I have an HTC EVO which is my 1st Android (had Blackberry for many years) and I love it. I need a new phone for 1 because I can't fit any damn apps, just not enough memory and of course I love new technology but even if there was no Nexus I need to get to Verizon for the network.

I already have an account because the Bionic is technically mine but she uses it so I will get rid of Sprint, pay the ETF happily and add a 2nd line to my Verizon, the question is which phone. It seems to be the Galaxy Nexus for me but if the HTC Vigor also came with Ice Cream Sandwhich I am curious if people would get that? As far as I see ICS seems to be the draw to this phone, of course no bloat and getting updates right away is great as well.

If I stay with Sprint then I would get the Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch and be happy but I am done with Sprint I can't take the crap service any more and it is a shame because they do get cool Android phones.

Any thoughts? If HTC Vigor had ICS would people consider it over the Nexus?

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Nope. Never change networks for a phone. Pick the network first, then the phone. My Nexus S will be getting ICS, and plenty of new phones will be coming. Verizon wasn't even confirmed last night, though its pretty obvious the Nexus is going there, nor was Sprint not confirmed. For all we know a Sprint version might be coming in January.

nucubs

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Yes I am in the Chicago_burbs too, and 3G speeds just plain out blow around here this year. Like 100k/sec at best on 3G :( Can't even watch YouTube clips without major buffering and pausing every 30seconds, and loading a standard news website takes way too long. Thank God for WiFi, but when I am out and about it is terrible.

And the south suburbs where my Parents and Sister live in Orland Park is a freaking dead zone for Sprint, almost zero connection down there, and it's no small hick town, there are like 50,000 residents there, would think Sprint would pout up a couple of towers ?

My average download speed is slightly better, but I know people with worse averages around here, especially downtown. It's just not a fun experience. There are a lot of unsatisfied people on the Sprint forums and there's no real optimism about short-term network improvement, both for speed and reliability.

Once I read PCMag.com's wireless network review of Chicago, I knew I'd be going to Verizon. I just thought it would be for the SGSII before Verizon passed on it.

The Fastest Mobile Networks 2011 - Chicago, IL | PCMag.com

Seven2k

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Question is, would it be WiMAX or LTE?

Sorry guys but look at this

Sprint expects to launch CDMA-LTE devices by mid-2012, with approximately 15 devices coming throughout the year ? including handsets, tablets and data cards. Additionally, CDMA-WiMAX 4G devices, like the award-winning HTC EVOTM 4G, Samsung EpicTM 4G Touch and Nexus STM 4G, will continue to be sold throughout 2012.

Im guessing 2013