Worth leaving Sprint for the G-Nexus ?

Gratificulous

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I really want the Galaxy-Nexus, but do I want to leave Sprint for it ? Normally Verizon has poor choice of Android devices, that don't interest me at all, where as Sprint has been the #1 Android carrier in the U.S. lately. This year alone they got the Nexus-S 4G...EVO-3D...Photon 4G...Galaxy S II...

And Verizon got the Thunderbolt :( ...Bionic :( ...Droid # 30 :( or whatever version they on now

I feel the Galaxy-Nexus is like a Galaxy S 2.5, yes it better than the current Galaxy S2 mainly due to the new ICS, and better HD screen, but that's about it, but the Galaxy S3 is said to be out a little earlier like Spring 2012, which will be a HUGE upgrade.

So my options are to leave Sprint now for the Galaxy-Nexus, or stick with Sprint, and maybe get their Galaxy S2, and root and hope for ICS ROM And then I am sure Sprint will get the Galaxy S3 pretty quick too ?

I currently own a rooted Nexus-S 4G, like the phone, but really want something with a larger AMOLED screen, and a bit thinner.

Hold off man.

While Verizon's network is awesome and the GNex is going to rule; you are going to be looking at tiered data. Also, Sprint's network is coming along.

I would go with the G2. With the popularity of that device, once ICS source is released I wouldn't doubt there will be ROM's available fairly quickly.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Sorry guys but look at this

Sprint expects to launch CDMA-LTE devices by mid-2012, with approximately 15 devices coming throughout the year ? including handsets, tablets and data cards. Additionally, CDMA-WiMAX 4G devices, like the award-winning HTC EVOTM 4G, Samsung EpicTM 4G Touch and Nexus STM 4G, will continue to be sold throughout 2012.

Im guessing 2013

Question is, would Sprint still sell the Galaxy Nexus with LTE now and tell customers they will get 4G later?

Reactions: crzycrkr

lembowski

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I had Sprint for my personal line for 9 years, my work line was with Verizon. Based on the data speeds and Sprint loosing a roaming agreement for an area I frequent; I made the decision to move my personal line to Verizon and pay the Sprint ETF to make sure I got in while VZW still had the Unlimited plans to grandfather. Best decision I have made in mobile for a long time. List of items better with VZW:

• Customer Service
  • 3G speeds
  • 4G speeds
  • Voice network

And with my work discount I'm only paying $6 more per month for a plan equal in specs.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I had Sprint for my personal line for 9 years, my work line was with Verizon. Based on the data speeds and Sprint loosing a roaming agreement for an area I frequent; I made the decision to move my personal line to Verizon and pay the Sprint ETF to make sure I got in while VZW still had the Unlimited plans to grandfather. Best decision I have made in mobile for a long time. List of items better with VZW:

• Customer Service
  • 3G speeds
  • 4G speeds
  • Voice network

And with my work discount I'm only paying $6 more per month for a plan equal in specs.

All where you live. I've been with Sprint for 12 years, have lived on both coasts and Illinois, and have never had a single issue. Customer service is very hit or miss with all companies, but Sprints has become much better, earning them high marks recently. And Sprints data is still completely unlimited. Verizons "unlimited" was never truly so. It still all comes down to choosing the network best for you, and then buying a phone. There's always something better on the horizon. By Christmas we'll be looking at leaks for a phone to put the Nexus to shame when it comes to hardware.

lembowski

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
All where you live. I've been with Sprint for 12 years, have lived on both coasts and Illinois, and have never had a single issue. Customer service is very hit or miss with all companies, but Sprints has become much better, earning them high marks recently. And Sprints data is still completely unlimited. Verizons "unlimited" was never truly so. It still all comes down to choosing the network best for you, and then buying a phone. There's always something better on the horizon. By Christmas we'll be looking at leaks for a phone to put the Nexus to shame when it comes to hardware.

Very true, I don't think I insinuated anything other than YMMV. But based on my location in the US?s 8th largest city and not having 4G at all, loosing roaming agreements that they had on VZW?s network, and abysmal 3G speeds in-general it was quite easy to make my move.

Have I been places where Sprint?s 3G and 4G were fast? Yes I have, but now with VZW I realize that I just thought they were fast because I didn?t know better.

RickInHouston

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm leaning toward leaving Sprint for AT&T. Sounds like there is going to be an AT&T phone that is thinner (no 4g radio and/or smaller battery) than the Verizon version.

I don't use 4g on my Nexus all that often. I guess I could move to Verizon and keep 4g radios off until when they are needed, but when is that?

ratchetjaw#AC

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
Sprints 4g speeds are a joke, especially if your inside. I switched my main line to Verizon and lost my unlimited data and could care less. At 10 buck/gb over, isnt much. What could is unlimited data if you get no service. Of course depends on location but Verizon LTE is everywhere i go :)

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I think we wont see the Nexus on Sprint until next year. Probably middle of January.

I am also willing to bet that the Nexus we see on Sprint wont be the same Nexus we see now. Most likely will have some bumped up specs.

Reactions: crzycrkr

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I left Sprint, well, for just being Sprint and never looked back. In my area and my experience I had nothing but problems with Sprint's network. It's been a while, and maybe it's improved, but I've been with VZW for years now and nothing has persuaded me to leave.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I really want the Galaxy-Nexus, but do I want to leave Sprint for it ? Normally Verizon has poor choice of Android devices, that don't interest me at all, where as Sprint has been the #1 Android carrier in the U.S. lately. This year alone they got the Nexus-S 4G...EVO-3D...Photon 4G...Galaxy S II...

And Verizon got the Thunderbolt :( ...Bionic :( ...Droid # 30 :( or whatever version they on now

I feel the Galaxy-Nexus is like a Galaxy S 2.5, yes it better than the current Galaxy S2 mainly due to the new ICS, and better HD screen, but that's about it, but the Galaxy S3 is said to be out a little earlier like Spring 2012, which will be a HUGE upgrade.

So my options are to leave Sprint now for the Galaxy-Nexus, or stick with Sprint, and maybe get their Galaxy S2, and root and hope for ICS ROM And then I am sure Sprint will get the Galaxy S3 pretty quick too ?

I currently own a rooted Nexus-S 4G, like the phone, but really want something with a larger AMOLED screen, and a bit thinner.

No, it will eventually get to the other carriers, including Sprint.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I think we wont see the Nexus on Sprint until next year. Probably middle of January.

I am also willing to bet that the Nexus we see on Sprint wont be the same Nexus we see now. Most likely will have some bumped up specs.

That's what I was thinking. That they would release the Galaxy Nexus on Sprint with LTE on board, just not activated and then once they have their LTE network up, they would push out an update to activate the LTE radio.

giograves

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
The question is will the GN even be relevant by time it hits Sprint? Seriously if LTE isn't ready until mid next year, exactly how many better phones will be out by then?

Ok, pure Google experience, no Rom flashing required, true. But this freaking stings as a 10 year Sprint vet.

In nyc phone service is good but data is a joke most of the time. Overutilized towers in a dense city maybe?

Anyway, because I don't have to think about data usage, or even phone minutes since I only call mobiles, switching to VZW is going to be dumb. Also, Am I the only person who prefers telenav over Google nav and refuses to pay for it when I get it free on Sprint?

I think someone had the best solution which was get the galaxy 2, and flash ICS when its available. Cuz you can bet Samsung will take their sweet time. Just hope 4g and gps are reliable in the rom.

- Sent from my HTC eVo with Tapatalk

firelightx

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

Okay. I come before you now stating up front that I am in fact a Verizon salesman, so you can take this with a grain of salt, but here we go:

First of all, network:
$80 a month for unlimited data on a crappy 4G network that Sprint has admitted they're no longer actively building out
$90 a month for 2GB of data on a much, much faster 4G connection that has much more reliable coverage around the country

At Verizon we throw around the line "96% of our customers have never gone over 2GB of data in a month" Of course, 96% of Verizon customers don't visit websites like this, so again, grain of salt.

Anyway, that sales pitch out of the way, let me speak a bit honestly.

EVO 3D vs Thunderbolt? EVO wins.
Bionic/X2/Droid 3 vs Photon? Between the reviews I've seen and the constant customer complaints I get at work, Photon wins in my book. Of course I just feel that anyone who buys Motorola anymore is asking for a headache, but that's neither here nor there.
Droid Charge vs GSII? Easily the GSII.

There isn't a matchup of same-manufacturer phones that Verizon beats Sprint in. Sprint flat out has the better phones. I'd go so far as to say Sprint has a -reputation- for having the best lineup, and my following of the market supports that for at least the past two years, with the original Droid the only outlier.

I'd say, by my estimates, you're right about the Nexus basically being a GS2.5. So the question's gonna come down to how much you like Sprint. How important a faster 4G connection is to you. Because rooting the GS2 and putting ICS on it is likely less than a couple months away from being an option.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Okay. I come before you now stating up front that I am in fact a Verizon salesman, so you can take this with a grain of salt, but here we go:

First of all, network:
$80 a month for unlimited data on a crappy 4G network that Sprint has admitted they're no longer actively building out
$90 a month for 2GB of data on a much, much faster 4G connection that has much more reliable coverage around the country

At Verizon we throw around the line "96% of our customers have never gone over 2GB of data in a month" Of course, 96% of Verizon customers don't visit websites like this, so again, grain of salt.

Anyway, that sales pitch out of the way, let me speak a bit honestly.

EVO 3D vs Thunderbolt? EVO wins.
Bionic/X2/Droid 3 vs Photon? Between the reviews I've seen and the constant customer complaints I get at work, Photon wins in my book. Of course I just feel that anyone who buys Motorola anymore is asking for a headache, but that's neither here nor there.
Droid Charge vs GSII? Easily the GSII.

There isn't a matchup of same-manufacturer phones that Verizon beats Sprint in. Sprint flat out has the better phones. I'd go so far as to say Sprint has a -reputation- for having the best lineup, and my following of the market supports that for at least the past two years, with the original Droid the only outlier.

I'd say, by my estimates, you're right about the Nexus basically being a GS2.5. So the question's gonna come down to how much you like Sprint. How important a faster 4G connection is to you. Because rooting the GS2 and putting ICS on it is likely less than a couple months away from being an option.

Also to Zorachus, if you're having trouble wondering if you're able to use less than 2GB of data in a month, consider how often you are on wi-fi, it makes a huge difference.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49