Will this phone be stripped of bloat?

russ2387

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I know that nexus will be a vanilla android phone. Does anyone know if it will be filled up with bloatware? Or will that be bare vanilla too?

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I believe it will be "bloat" free in the sense that there won't be 3rd party applications pre-installed, just stock ICS applications, like every other Nexus device.

VZW wasn't allowed to bloat up the iPhone and I don't believe Google will let them bloat up the Galaxy Nexus.
Other may, and probably will, disagree with me on that statement but there is nothing I've seen indicating otherwise, so in my opinion no need to worry that until there is.

Just my two cents, for the little it's worth. Like most of the questions in these forums right now, we'll have answers soon enough.

somnambulator

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
if the GN follows in the philosophy of all previous Nexus' then it will be ICS and ICS only. google phones have been designed to showcase exactly what the phone/adroid can do and to show what the stock/default setup looks like. allowing VZW to bloat it up would be counter to the entire purpose of the google phone.

but as they saw in stock trader commercials...past performance does not indicate future returns.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
While it probably will be free of bloat, it doesn't matter. Google announced that with Ice Cream Sandwich, you can remove ANY application, even the google ones.

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
While it probably will be free of bloat, it doesn't matter. Google announced that with Ice Cream Sandwich, you can remove ANY application, even the google ones.

This, although, from what I understand, it doesn't actually completely remove pre-installed applications, it simply blocks them from running, and makes them disappear out of your app drawer (until you re-enable them, if you so choose).

I'm curious to see how the carriers and other phone manufacturers react to this, though. Seems like it'd kinda get them mad, but at the same time, they'd never drop Android phones, as the OS has just gotten too popular to do that. I wonder if certain manufacturers will find ways to block this feature from working on certain apps?

BrianTufo

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
This, although, from what I understand, it doesn't actually completely remove pre-installed applications, it simply blocks them from running, and makes them disappear out of your app drawer (until you re-enable them, if you so choose).

I'm curious to see how the carriers and other phone manufacturers react to this, though. Seems like it'd kinda get them mad, but at the same time, they'd never drop Android phones, as the OS has just gotten too popular to do that. I wonder if certain manufacturers will find ways to block this feature from working on certain apps?

Yeah I am glad they implemented that and I bet they strictly did this because of the ridiculous carriers putting loads of crap onto devices.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance