Verizon customers: What phone will you be switching from?

hyperdude

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
If the Nexus launches on Nov. 17th, I will have had my OG Droid for exactly 99 weeks :p
89 for me :)

Of course I'll likely have to wait until a couple days after launch to get it - when I can go home and pick it up from VZW there as I don't like the Verizon reseller on campus lol
And I can be glad my brother (who got a D2 for Christmas) wants to get the GN once his upgrade rolls around. Getting people hooked on pure Android one at a time :p

bakerbert

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Droid Charge.

Don't get me wrong I love this phone, not the speed of the updates, but the phone is great.

A Nexus on Verizon is just something i can't pass up.

kath00

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a BB 9930 .... I will have to play a lot with it first though, and read lots of forum posts before I fully commit. Just not sure of the notifications on ICS.

You will love it! Huge leap in technology and it's all intuitive...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Akuma

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I will be giving my Incredible to my girlfriend and grabbing a Galaxy Nexus

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Manny83

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Upgrading from an OG Droid. I remember waiting for it to be rooted before buying it almost 2 years ago.

This will be a huge upgrade for me: 8x the RAM, 2x stock CPU speed, 2x the cores, like 32x the app storage capacity (262MB vs 8GB?), 2x the cameras, a whole inch of screen size larger, thinner, lighter, and more Google-experience'er! Can't wait!

hyperdude

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Upgrading from an OG Droid. I remember waiting for it to be rooted before buying it almost 2 years ago.

This will be a huge upgrade for me: 8x the RAM, 2x stock CPU speed, 2x the cores, like 32x the app storage capacity (262MB vs 8GB?), 2x the cameras, a whole inch of screen size larger, thinner, lighter, and more Google-experience'er! Can't wait!
8x the RAM - 256MB vs 1GB is 4x. But running Gingerbread it feels like 128MB so lol
32x app storage capacity - Why would the GN only be able to access 8GB of the 16/32GB internal for apps?
More Google-experience'er - The OG IS Google Experience, just with a dash of Verizon apps pre-loaded lol.

I'm so glad I waited on upgrading for the last year (actually used my mom's upgrade to get the OG - my line has been upgradable since October '10), kept wishing a Nexus would land on Verizon and for once that wish has been granted :)

Manny83

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, I mean 4x the ram. As far as storage for apps, wouldn't the GN be set up with an 8GB partition for internal storage and 24GB for "external" storage? In any case, I'm really excited about this phone. I will find some use for my OG tank.

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
By the time we Incredible owners wait out our full two years, the Nexus might be really cheap (1 cent sales on Amazon, Buy One Get One). I'm can upgrade in February; might wait until May.

TJH

mobile_phreak

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Droid X. Thought I was an early adopter, but after seeing people upgrading after a few months with the Thunderbolt...Hell. Maybe the Thunderbolt was just a letdown?

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a BB 9930 .... I will have to play a lot with it first though, and read lots of forum posts before I fully commit. Just not sure of the notifications on ICS.

I was a loyal Blackberry tour owner and it was great at the time but I could never get it to render a web page well. Picked up a DROIDX and never looked back. You'll love it!

Guillerm?dico

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Wow. I'm surprised u lasted so long with that.
Yes, my old HTC G1 "Dream" has served me well. As a long time TMO customer, I received it by express mail on the first day the G1 became available. However, with my Motorola Xoom running Android 3.2 (Honeycomb), I've seen what I've been missing stuck at Android 1.6 for 2 years. :(

I'm looking forward to having Adobe Flash on my Galaxy Nexus, among the many other features that Android has added between versions 1.6 and 4.0 ICS, not to mention the phone-specific features that make the GNex a very special device. :D

borgey401

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I was a loyal Blackberry tour owner and it was great at the time but I could never get it to render a web page well. Picked up a DROIDX and never looked back. You'll love it!

Haha, wait until you get a taste of real stock Android. You'll never want to pick up a crappy Motorola Blur infested device again! I for one can't stand the direction Motorola has gone software wise since the original Motorola DROID.

borgey401

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site

I can promise you that there is no better notification system then Android. Wait, does BB even have notifications? LOL. If you really are a fan of RIM then you might have a hard time liking Android. RIM is totally different. I do think Android is far superior to RIM though, so you're due for an upgrade :)

Back on topic though my list of devices has been HTC G1>DROID Eris>Motorola DROID> Motorola DROID X> Motorola DROID 2> HTC DROID Incredible> Motorola DROID Bionic> HTC Thunderbolt and I own a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1. The GNex will be replacing my Thunderbolt since that was such a letdown. I swear if it was not for the development community then the Thunderbolt would barely even be usable as an everyday driver.

Makes me cringe to think the amount of money I have spent on crappy Motorola devices. I swear I will never again buy one though unless they come out with a Vanilla Android device that can be unlocked. Until then Moto can kick rocks.

Last edited:

gsampl4

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I have never posted to these forums but have followed them since about April. That’s when I found out we had an upgrade Nov. 22nd of this year. I am planning on upgrading from an HTC Eris which has not been bad but it was my first Android phone coming from Windows Mobile 6.5. I did not really do much homework on it other than I knew at the time there was not a real windows phone I could move into, Apple phones where not my style since they were always a closed system, and back then I knew Google phones were gaining in popularity. Did not even know they were called android phones at the time. I walked into the VZW store.. browsed around and found one of similar size and in a decent price range ($149 at the time if I remember) and ended up with the HTC Eris. I should have known at the time coming from a IT background that I should have done my homework a lot better. I guess it like telling people yeah.. you can get a laptop for less than 299 but it will perform like it’s 299.. LOL just like the HTC Eris. This time around it’s been different. I have read everything I can about all of the new phones so hopefully this will be a great big update for me. To be honest keeping up with phones, hardware specs, features, etc is more challenging and fun than keeping up with all the changes in the PC world.

Blitzdroid

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
HTC Eris was a bit slow. Even if you don't do any homework this time. Any android phone in verizon store has atleast a 1gig processor so any phone should be fast now.
Can't go wrong with any android phone... except for pantech

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I have never posted to these forums but have followed them since about April. That?s when I found out we had an upgrade Nov. 22nd of this year. I am planning on upgrading from an HTC Eris which has not been bad but it was my first Android phone coming from Windows Mobile 6.5. I did not really do much homework on it other than I knew at the time there was not a real windows phone I could move into, Apple phones where not my style since they were always a closed system, and back then I knew Google phones were gaining in popularity. Did not even know they were called android phones at the time. I walked into the VZW store.. browsed around and found one of similar size and in a decent price range ($149 at the time if I remember) and ended up with the HTC Eris. I should have known at the time coming from a IT background that I should have done my homework a lot better. I guess it like telling people yeah.. you can get a laptop for less than 299 but it will perform like it?s 299.. LOL just like the HTC Eris. This time around it?s been different. I have read everything I can about all of the new phones so hopefully this will be a great big update for me. To be honest keeping up with phones, hardware specs, features, etc is more challenging and fun than keeping up with all the changes in the PC world.

Touching just about any phone after the eris would have been a huge upgrade! Just Kidding. I had sprint and used the Hero. Loved that phone. Just gave it away. Even though its old and "slow" it still beats the crap out of any dumb phone. Moderate overclocking and its very capable device. I gave it to a student with smartphone envy. I figured it would be nice because there are plenty of great features still supported on the device. GPS navigation can come in quite handy for someone who will be going from place to place for a year while they finish up their clinical clerkships (like I did with the phone and she does now). Its voice search on a 2 year old device is still better than Siri's Beta piece of crap. Its 3G is faster than any other cdma rev.A phone I have used to date (4G LTE is the bomb). I just finished rooting a co-worker's Metro LG Optimus M today. Reminded me plenty of the Hero. It does have 1 big advantage though... a GPU. Bit of nostalgia as I worked on the older style phone with a small screen and slower processor.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar