10-30-2011 01:48 AM
85 1234
tools
    These are all great points. I was trying to figure out what the prevailing opinion on contract prices would be per memory capacity. I think we've seen 16GB internal with predecessor phones for $299. I'd hate to see that the leaked MAP listing was for a 16GB model.

Owning an OG Droid, I don't have a great understanding for the differences between internal vs. SD memory in relation to storing apps, because I've read that even phones with internal memory sub-divide ram for apps, media, and other storage (not to mention rarely all of ##GB are available to the user). With apps taking up more space (especially games), I want to ensure the G-Nex is somewhat future-proof.

As an aside, I just bought a 32GB SD card before they announced the G-Nex, and now I won't be able to use it. Why can't a manufacturer take every component and just max it out (32GB onboard+32GB SD, 8mp camera, 720p non-pentile, state-of-the-art GPU, etc.)? It seems like every phone has at least one compromise, if not more.
    10-22-2011 08:04 AM
    Yeah, without an SD slot I would really prefer that we at least have the option of the 32 GB model. I would also hope that it would cost $299 max.

If for some reason VZW only offers the 16 GB model then I might still buy it, but I will look more closely at the Rezound.

Cloud services are great if you are constantly in an LTE region, not so much otherwise. Just my opinion on it all.
    Look, if you are in a top 50 (maybe even 100) city, you are covered by LTE.

For me, I've got a 4GB card in my Dinc and I'm fine. I use evernote, dropbox, google music/reader, etc. I mainly just use the SD card for photos (which upload via dropbox share pretty regularly anyways).

You'll probably save some cash with the 16GB model.
    10-22-2011 08:15 AM
    The leaked MAP only indicates one model at $299. Dunno if there is any cash to save.

Clove UK is offering the 16GB at ~$800 US for the 16GB model. Regrettably, I think Verizon will offer the 16GB model because they can't recoup the subsidy for the 32GB version, which would probably be ~$100 more retail (perhaps $50-$75 wholesale).

Ugh, I was really hoping for 32GB.
    10-22-2011 08:23 AM
    Regrettably, I think Verizon will offer the 16GB model because they can't recoup the subsidy for the 32GB version
    why would this be? veizon will just pass those costs on to the customer
    10-22-2011 12:14 PM
    Of that I'd have no doubt.

I guess my question then would be whether these leaked MAP listings distinguish between variants of the same model, like a 16GB or 32GB iPhone, for example. I've seen MAP listings for previous products, but I'm not sure I've seen variants listed. If they're listing one product in the MAP, it makes little sense they wouldn't just list the other, unless they were introducing the product outside the window of the published MAP.

I'm hopeful that my line of thinking, which is ram parity with iPhone, is true for G-Nex (16GB @ $199; 32GB @ $299). I know LTE may interfere with that, however.
    10-22-2011 01:16 PM
    If Verizon has two versions it will be hard to have the 16GB at $299. However, if they only carry one version (16GB or 32GB) I think it will be $299. They charged $299 for the bionic recently with only 16GB's of storage. That being said, I don't think they can charge over $299 for a phone, even if it has 32 GB's of storage. Then again, I have been wrong many of times in the past, so nothing would surprise me.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    10-22-2011 01:52 PM
    The 64gb version of the iphone costs $399 so there is a precedence for that price point.
    10-22-2011 01:55 PM
    I'm willing to bet there won't be 2 models. VZW will just have either the 16bg or the 32gb. Based on the amount of storage they are pumping in the recent phones offered I'm inclined to say the 32gb will be the only option.
    10-22-2011 01:56 PM
    I'm willing to bet there won't be 2 models. VZW will just have either the 16bg or the 32gb. Based on the amount of storage they are pumping in the recent phones offered I'm inclined to say the 32gb will be the only option.
    I agree it will be $299.99 with 32gb

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk
    10-22-2011 10:41 PM
    I'm 99% sure there will only be one version for Verizon.
    10-22-2011 11:15 PM
    i really dont see how VZW/Samsung/Google can market a device (on contract subsidy) thats different from the set prices of the iPhone 4S... If they wanted to make a phone that sells, they would price it similarly to their biggest competition, while maximizing specs (etc). Neither Apple nor VZW/Samsung/Google are going to try to compete in the retail price market because they all know the majority of their sales are going to come from people buying phones on contract...

iPhone 4S 32GB - $299

So far, with the MAP system only showing one SKU, i have a big hunch that the installed memory will be 32GB. it just makes more sense to me in terms of competition.
    10-23-2011 12:47 AM
    i really dont see how VZW/Samsung/Google can market a device (on contract subsidy) thats different from the set prices of the iPhone 4S... If they wanted to make a phone that sells, they would price it similarly to their biggest competition, while maximizing specs (etc). Neither Apple nor VZW/Samsung/Google are going to try to compete in the retail price market because they all know the majority of their sales are going to come from people buying phones on contract...

iPhone 4S 32GB - $299

So far, with the MAP system only showing one SKU, i have a big hunch that the installed memory will be 32GB. it just makes more sense to me in terms of competition.
    I'm hoping you guys are right about this. I really want the 32GB version and, the $299 price seems on point with other phones they released even with the Bionic, which has 16GB but, could be expanded up to 32GB.
    10-23-2011 01:09 AM
    While I would like 32gb to be the "standard", I currently have 16gb on my Fascinate & it's had more than enough room for me over the past 14+ months that I've had the phone. I'm more concerned that it doesn't come stock with an sd card slot so you can change it if need be. Oh well, guess we can't it all!

tap'n
    10-23-2011 01:23 AM
    I would be extremely disappointed with the 16GB version, so I'm hoping Verizon prices it similarly to how Apple has the iPhone priced ($300 for 32GB).
    ccjjr59 likes this.
    10-23-2011 01:37 AM
    Remember the iphone 4s is still just a 3g device. I wouldnt bet on a 32gb Lte Nexus for under $399. It would be pretty awesome though.
    Stang68 likes this.
    10-23-2011 04:22 AM
    Remember the iphone 4s is still just a 3g device. I wouldnt bet on a 32gb Lte Nexus for under $399. It would be pretty awesome though.
    I just dont see the difference from a marketing/pricing perspective given the sheer competition that Samsung/Google have undoubtedly come to an agreement with. LTE is definitely a selling point in some cases. For the tablet and mobile broadband market, LTE is more important (i would say). When it comes to the phone, the network connection type pales in comparison to the experience that the customer is wanting in the majority of cases. Furthermore, since VZW has moved to an agnostic tiered data pricing structure, there is little reason to justify a price differential solely on LTE in the case of a smartphone.

VZW's marketing department is more or less up to par in marketing (usually) and they will undoubtedly weigh more on features such as Siri and the simplicity of iOS, Android as a whole along with the android market and widgets, etc... I'm stickin with my guns here and am (educatingly) guessing that VZW will be offering the 32GB version out the gate, with the possibility of the 16GB version later on next year if/when the gnex sells well enough for VZW to make more orders and try to market more to the average joe with the price break of a 16GB SKU
    10-23-2011 05:20 AM
    I don't know. The full price of the Iphone 4 - no matter what capacity - is more than all the smartphones on Verizon. I wouldn't put it past them to offer a 16GB $299.00 phone on contract but, I also think they would offer a 32GB at that price also.

I guess I'm looking at it from a full price standpoint, because that's how I'm buying it.
    10-23-2011 06:22 AM
    Mystery solved. Was listening to the 'thisismynext' podcast. The 32gb version is for the LTE version, while the 16gb version is for the hspa+ version.
    slbailey1 likes this.
    10-23-2011 12:16 PM
    If TIMN is right, excellent (for those of us on Verizon). I guess we can conclude that on other carriers it'll be $199 subsidized whenever they get it. So although I'm a bit disappointed at no SD card, I'm mollified that Verizon will carry the 32GB version. Now Verizon, shut up and take my money!
    10-23-2011 12:44 PM
    I'm sure the carriers have a choice in which they carry. I do not buy its a gsm vs. lte thing.
    10-23-2011 12:45 PM
    I really hope Verizon is getting the 32GB version. More storage for their stuff and an encouragement to use their LTE network even more.
    10-23-2011 02:52 PM
    If Verizon wanted to encourage people to use their LTE network more, then they'd carry the 16GB version and force people to use the cloud for more storage.
    10-23-2011 03:45 PM
    That would make sense if most Android users were geeks.

They aren't, so thats not even remotely logical.
    10-23-2011 04:02 PM
    32gb FTW...I honestly don't care which it is, I just want the phone in my hand. Obviously I would prefer 32gb, but with Google music and other cloud services I don't need that much anymore.
    10-23-2011 06:09 PM
    Did you guys see this picture from p3droid?

You dont get all 16 gb of storage
    10-24-2011 06:47 AM
85 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD