16 or 32 GB Onboard Memory?

brinox

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
Remember the iphone 4s is still just a 3g device. I wouldnt bet on a 32gb Lte Nexus for under $399. It would be pretty awesome though.

I just dont see the difference from a marketing/pricing perspective given the sheer competition that Samsung/Google have undoubtedly come to an agreement with. LTE is definitely a selling point in some cases. For the tablet and mobile broadband market, LTE is more important (i would say). When it comes to the phone, the network connection type pales in comparison to the experience that the customer is wanting in the majority of cases. Furthermore, since VZW has moved to an agnostic tiered data pricing structure, there is little reason to justify a price differential solely on LTE in the case of a smartphone.

VZW's marketing department is more or less up to par in marketing (usually) and they will undoubtedly weigh more on features such as Siri and the simplicity of iOS, Android as a whole along with the android market and widgets, etc... I'm stickin with my guns here and am (educatingly) guessing that VZW will be offering the 32GB version out the gate, with the possibility of the 16GB version later on next year if/when the gnex sells well enough for VZW to make more orders and try to market more to the average joe with the price break of a 16GB SKU :cool:

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Remember the iphone 4s is still just a 3g device. I wouldnt bet on a 32gb Lte Nexus for under $399. It would be pretty awesome though.

I don't know. The full price of the Iphone 4 - no matter what capacity - is more than all the smartphones on Verizon. I wouldn't put it past them to offer a 16GB $299.00 phone on contract but, I also think they would offer a 32GB at that price also.

I guess I'm looking at it from a full price standpoint, because that's how I'm buying it.

mrholzapfel

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Mystery solved. Was listening to the 'thisismynext' podcast. The 32gb version is for the LTE version, while the 16gb version is for the hspa+ version.

jimbosi

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
If TIMN is right, excellent (for those of us on Verizon). I guess we can conclude that on other carriers it'll be $199 subsidized whenever they get it. So although I'm a bit disappointed at no SD card, I'm mollified that Verizon will carry the 32GB version. Now Verizon, shut up and take my money!

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I really hope Verizon is getting the 32GB version. More storage for their stuff and an encouragement to use their LTE network even more.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
If Verizon wanted to encourage people to use their LTE network more, then they'd carry the 16GB version and force people to use the cloud for more storage.

allan1313

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
32gb FTW...I honestly don't care which it is, I just want the phone in my hand. Obviously I would prefer 32gb, but with Google music and other cloud services I don't need that much anymore.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
If Verizon wanted to encourage people to use their LTE network more, then they'd carry the 16GB version and force people to use the cloud for more storage.

And then Verizon would have to deal with those who were mad because they got charged extra for going over 2GB for anyone on the tiered plans.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I've got 16GB on board on my Vibrant and I never really fill it up and I haven't used a microSD in a year. It really comes down to what you plan on doing. The majority of my space is stuff like CM7 Nightlies and Nandroids, all things that end up either being deleted or backed up on my laptop. I keep a "little" music on there, usually around 1 gig and I use Google Listen for Podcasts so those are always rotating out at about 500MB's or so. Right now I have about 3 gigs open and I have a ton of stuff I need to delete/move off.

If you plan on being really media heavy like watching movies and recording in 1080p, then spring for the 32GB version. I'll probably go for the 32GB version simply because applications seem to be getting bigger, and Bigger, and BIGGER! :-$

I really think that from a performance standpoint, Google did us a favor by leaving the microSD off of this thing. Things always seem to be more smooth on my devices that don't have microSD, including the crummy iFone 3Gs I had for a little while too. Not my cup of tea, but the device was quick. I definitely think that there is a hangup with swap just by the mere presence of removable memory. That observation is completely anecdotal on part, however.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
The slowest part of most computing platforms(servers, large mainframes, PC's and I suspect phones) is Input/output to physical device storage. This is why Pc's with more ram can run faster and better because they are able to load more into it at once. So response time will most likely improve when apps and data are NOT on an SD card. I am hoping for a 32GB model but will settle for 16 if that's all I can get.

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I expect this to be the case no matter how much we supposedly get. I would probably get the 16gb one for less money, now that I use google music I dont see the need for 32gb, in fact I think I only use 1/2 of the 32 now and most of that is music I could delete.

I am trying to get Google music set up and ready to go just in case 16Gb is all we get. I am a little late requesting an invite from Google though, does anyone have a invite they don't need? Thanks in advance, I will finally be able to get rid of itunes.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk