10-24-2011 10:52 AM
80 123 ...
tools
    Apparently theres a press release from Verizon that says the Galaxy Nexus is coming. Will post link when it's available. YAY!

Edit: Here's the full press release:

VERIZON WIRELESS INTRODUCES THE GALAXY NEXUS BY SAMSUNG

Features the Latest Version of Android and America’s Fastest and Most Reliable 4G Network

BASKING RIDGE, N.J. – Verizon Wireless today announced that the Galaxy Nexus by Samsung, the world’s first smartphone running on Android™ 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich is coming to Verizon Wireless. The Galaxy Nexus will be available later this year in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online at https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?...token=qpfuYYVI.

Ice Cream Sandwich brings a redesigned user interface with enhanced multitasking, notifications, full Web browsing experience and more. Customers will also be able to enjoy the innovative new features that Ice Cream Sandwich offers, such as Face Unlock which uses facial recognition to unlock the Galaxy Nexus. Customers can take advantage of the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network to access more than 300,000 apps and games from Android Market™ or rent movies and stream them instantly on the 4.65-inch HD Super AMOLED™ display.

Additional features:
    4G LTE – customers can expect fast download speeds of 5 to 12 megabits per second (Mbps) and upload speeds of 2 to 5 Mbps in 4G LTE mobile broadband coverage areas
    Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich
    First smartphone to feature a 4.65-inch HD Super AMOLED™ display (1280 x 720)
    1.2 GHz dual-core processor with 1GB RAM
    5-megapixel autofocus camera with LED flash, zero shutter lag and 1080p full HD video capture
    1.3-megapixel front-facing camera for video chatting
    Near Field Communications (NFC) enabled
    Android Beam allows customers to quickly share Web pages, apps and YouTube™ videos with friends by simply tapping compatible phones together
    Support for Google™ mobile services – Android Market, Gmail™, Google Maps™ 5.0 with 3D maps, Google Earth™, Movie Studio, YouTube™, syncing with Google Calendar™ and a redesigned Google+ app

Customers that purchase the Galaxy Nexus by Samsung smartphone will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan beginning at $39.99 for monthly access and a smartphone data package starting at $30 monthly access for 2 GB of data. For more information on Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?...token=qpfuYYVI.
    droidjosh likes this.
    10-21-2011 05:06 PM
    Could you at least give a source for this claim?
    10-21-2011 05:09 PM
    It's not official until it's official.
    10-21-2011 05:09 PM
    Could you at least give a source for this claim?
    This is my Next and Droid-Life twitter.

Link to BGR who has posted the Press Release from Verizon.

You're welcome.
    10-21-2011 05:10 PM
    VERIZON WIRELESS INTRODUCES THE GALAXY NEXUS BY SAMSUNG

Features the Latest Version of Android and Americas Fastest and Most Reliable 4G Network

BASKING RIDGE, N.J. Verizon Wireless today announced that the Galaxy Nexus by Samsung, the worlds first smartphone running on Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich is coming to Verizon Wireless. The Galaxy Nexus will be available later this year in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online at Cell Phones - Smartphones: Cell Phone Service, Accessories - Verizon Wireless.

Ice Cream Sandwich brings a redesigned user interface with enhanced multitasking, notifications, full Web browsing experience and more. Customers will also be able to enjoy the innovative new features that Ice Cream Sandwich offers, such as Face Unlock which uses facial recognition to unlock the Galaxy Nexus. Customers can take advantage of the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network to access more than 300,000 apps and games from Android Market or rent movies and stream them instantly on the 4.65-inch HD Super AMOLED display.

Additional features:
    4G LTE customers can expect fast download speeds of 5 to 12 megabits per second (Mbps) and upload speeds of 2 to 5 Mbps in 4G LTE mobile broadband coverage areas
    Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich
    First smartphone to feature a 4.65-inch HD Super AMOLED display (1280 x 720)
    1.2 GHz dual-core processor with 1GB RAM
    5-megapixel autofocus camera with LED flash, zero shutter lag and 1080p full HD video capture
    1.3-megapixel front-facing camera for video chatting
    Near Field Communications (NFC) enabled
    Android Beam allows customers to quickly share Web pages, apps and YouTube videos with friends by simply tapping compatible phones together
    Support for Google mobile services Android Market, Gmail, Google Maps 5.0 with 3D maps, Google Earth, Movie Studio, YouTube, syncing with Google Calendar and a redesigned Google+ app

Customers that purchase the Galaxy Nexus by Samsung smartphone will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan beginning at $39.99 for monthly access and a smartphone data package starting at $30 monthly access for 2 GB of data. For more information on Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to Cell Phones - Smartphones: Cell Phone Service, Accessories - Verizon Wireless
    10-21-2011 05:13 PM
    There we go.

Also, specs haven't changed. So okay. Cool.
    10-21-2011 05:15 PM
    I was never worried....
    10-21-2011 05:16 PM
    "This year"....good grief.
    I am so surprised. /sarcasm

Sent from my ADR6400L
    I'm curious to see if there's a change in the battery size to compensate for LTE.
    10-21-2011 05:18 PM
    "later this year." A press release on a Friday?Verizon is doing everything it can not to market this phone.

There's certainly some politics going on with this phone.
    10-21-2011 05:18 PM
    "later this year." A press release on a Friday?Verizon is doing everything it can not to market this phone.

Yeah, it does seem pretty ambiguous. I think it's pretty telling that they announced it so nonchalantly. But you know what, I don't care if they don't care about it; as long as I get my phone!
    10-21-2011 05:20 PM
    "Later this year" doesn't sound like early November.
    10-21-2011 05:29 PM
    Its up on Verizon's site now: Verizon Wireless Introduces The Galaxy Nexus By Samsung
    cdf3 likes this.
    10-21-2011 05:34 PM

This was probably just to shut people up about the phone as you can tell from the lack of real availability and price.

Sent from my ADR6400L
    10-21-2011 05:35 PM
    "Later this year" doesn't sound like early November.
    Just generic PR talk. They aren't going to tell you the date because its not written in stone.

Sent from my ADR6400L
    10-21-2011 05:36 PM
    Man people are complaining when rumors swirl Verizon is not getting it at all...Now it is official and they are complaining it may not be soon enough.

Just be thankful...
    10-21-2011 05:37 PM
    As I said before, I don't think Verizon is going to exactly roll out the red carpet for such a device.

We may get a press release and a few mentions here and there, but that's about it.

No man-on-stilts, no confetti, no fireworks or jet fly-bys.

How does a company like Verizon market a phone such as the Nexus? More importantly, how do you market the Nexus brand? You don't.

"WTF is a Nexus phone?"
    10-21-2011 05:39 PM
    Things I don't like about this: no release date, no pricing, some specs not disclosed- thickness and battery size (let your fellow fandroid dream), and no pictures (would like to know what the back is going to look like). Hopefully we'll see some leaks soon.
    10-21-2011 05:40 PM
    Perhaps Verizon has agreed to leave it up to Samsung to market the Nexus line. I foresee commercials/adds in which the phone is the focus, not the carrier. Or maybe Verizon will get the exclusive, thus the carrier importance becomes moot since they'll be the only one. Either way, this is excellent news!
    10-21-2011 05:41 PM
    At least it's confirmed. Now I have to choose between this and the HTC Rezound. Out-of-the-box pure-ICS Android experience, with a larger screen and OS updates pushed straight from Google, or a 25% faster CPU with higher-resolution cameras?

Life is hard.
    10-21-2011 05:46 PM
    At least it's confirmed. Now I have to choose between this and the HTC Rezound. Out-of-the-box pure-ICS Android experience, with a larger screen and OS updates pushed straight from Google, or a 25% faster CPU with higher-resolution cameras?

Life is hard.
    First world problems suck
    10-21-2011 05:47 PM
    Yes! So pumped! I suspected as much, but it's nice to see it official. On Engadget too - I'm surprised they didn't work in another shot at the Pentile.

Verizon (finally) confirms it will have the Galaxy Nexus -- Engadget
    10-21-2011 05:48 PM
    I think it is great news...I mean hell this just means no more than 2.5months before these puppies will be here. I am excited...granted I do wish they would give a hard date and its still probably going to be in November because who would not want to release a new phone before Christmas shopping season? I am still hoping for an At&t release soon because they have the best connectivity in my area but Verizon is not far behind them I think though there is not LTE here yet and att does at least have HPSA+ here...eithere way soon my poor ol evo will be replaced with one of these pretty things.
    10-21-2011 05:49 PM
80 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD