10-23-2011 09:48 PM
28 12
tools
    I don't always keep up well, but... (maybe that says it all right there )

I think I understand that, up to this point at least, the Nexus line has never had what we like to call bloatware on it. However, now that VZW is carrying it for the first time, don't you think it will?

I mean, in the past, things like VZW Apps, Blockbuster, Backup Assistant, Rock Band, Stocks, VCast Media Manager, VZ Navigator, Vcast Music, Vcast Tones and Verizon Video have been considered by most to be "bloatware". Does anyone actually think these things will not be on the Nexus?

-Frank
    10-22-2011 11:07 AM
    I don't think it'll have bloatware; Google, in the past, has done well to keep carriers from bloating up the Nexus phones, so I don't see why that would change with the Galaxy Nexus. My best guess is, Verizon simply won't hype up the release of the phone (especially since they have the Droid Razr to hype up, which comes out fairly close to the Nexus), being that it's bloat-free.

Besides, even if it does, for some reason, get bloatware, supposedly, ICS (or at least the Galaxy Nexus) will offer the ability to "freeze" apps you don't want on the phone.
    10-22-2011 11:12 AM
    I don't always keep up well, but... (maybe that says it all right there )

I think I understand that, up to this point at least, the Nexus line has never had what we like to call bloatware on it. However, now that VZW is carrying it for the first time, don't you think it will?

I mean, in the past, things like VZW Apps, Blockbuster, Backup Assistant, Rock Band, Stocks, VCast Media Manager, VZ Navigator, Vcast Music, Vcast Tones and Verizon Video have been considered by most to be "bloatware". Does anyone actually think these things will not be on the Nexus?

-Frank
    If it has bloatware, it's not a nexus.
    10-22-2011 11:17 AM
    I am fine with the bloat as long as I can remove it like anything else.
    10-22-2011 11:50 AM
    I am fine with the bloat as long as I can remove it like anything else.
    Most bloat can't be removed unless rooted. I want to finally be able to have a phone bloat free, without having to root.
    I want to be able to root by choice, rather than by necessity.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
    10-22-2011 11:55 AM
    Most bloat can't be removed unless rooted. I want to finally be able to have a phone bloat free, without having to root.

not true anymore with ics, while it can't be completely removed it can be disabled so that it does not run in the background and will not appear in the app tray
    cdf3 likes this.
    10-22-2011 12:09 PM
    ... My best guess is, Verizon simply won't hype up the release of the phone (especially since they have the Droid Razr to hype up, which comes out fairly close to the Nexus), being that it's bloat-free. ...
    And the fact that Verizon's pre-promotion of the Nexus has been so underwhelming so far (eg, Fri pm PR), is perhaps an indication that it will not be loaded up with V-bloat. I suspect Verizon wanted to do this but ultimately gave in to Google.
    10-22-2011 12:10 PM
    Yeah, I forgot what thread had it, but someone received an email from a contact in Verizon and they said it was coming to them but that it would receive close to the amount of marketing that the RAZR would. That tells me that it likely won't have any of Verizon's usual mess on it. Plus as someone mentioned, ICS would allow us to uninstall it and prevent it from running in the background.
    10-22-2011 12:15 PM
    Here you go:
    Friends,

I know that I am not a regular here, but I'm a moderator on Android Forums, so at least I have some street creds there. I would like to share a note I received a vzw employee he/she sent me to allay our concerns about the rumors of the GN not coming to VZW.

Steven,

I just wanted to check in, solely because of all the negativity surrounding the possible release/cancellation of the Verizon version of SGN.

I talked with 4 different (Verizon) people today,(information deleted) and all say that Verizon is DEFINITELY getting this device in "early November". I can't say if it's the 3rd or the 10th, because I honestly don't know, but I haven't been told that the date of the 3rd has changed. That could go either way. But it will DEFINITELY hit stores early November. (Information deleted) Spoke to a recent tester of the device, and he/she says that there is NO PROBLEM with 4G connectivity, and he's not sure where that rumor came from.

You're not going to see anything resembling the push that RAZR is going to get with marketing, but it will be in stores. Early November.

Hope that helps.

Steven note: My words are in italics, to protect the source.
    10-22-2011 12:28 PM
    This is already being discussed in a number of threads here, but the bottom line is that no one is going to be able to tell you anything outside of desires and speculation until somebody buys one.
    mysterygirl likes this.
    10-22-2011 12:35 PM
    Its very hard for me to believe that VZW makes enough money off bloatware to make it worth pissing off soo many people
    10-22-2011 01:07 PM
    Its very hard for me to believe that VZW makes enough money off bloatware to make it worth pissing off soo many people
    My guess is most people are unaware of bloat so VZW isn't concerned about pissing anyone off.
    10-22-2011 01:27 PM
    My guess is most people are unaware of bloat so VZW isn't concerned about pissing anyone off.
    my mom who doesnt know the difference between apples and googles noticed them and is constantly asking me how to delete them
    10-22-2011 01:29 PM
    my mom who doesnt know the difference between apples and googles noticed them and is constantly asking me how to delete them
    I think noticing bloatware (saying, what is this crap, I didn't install it), and getting angry about it are two different things. Then again, a vocal minority of people buying the nexus, are buying it because of stock google. So while the average person doesn't care, I don't think google would allow a nexus phone to have bloatware.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    10-22-2011 01:43 PM
    There not allowed too. Just like with the iPhone.
    10-22-2011 01:55 PM

If they leave ICS untouched, there will be an option to disable the app. It stays in rom, but is hidden.
    Sprint and AT&T have had this option for a little while already. I don't think I've seen it in a VZW phone yet though.
    10-22-2011 01:58 PM
    It's even harder for me to believe that you will ever see a VZW phone without a VCast or VZNavigator subscription option buiilt-in. I dunno if the iPhone's have this or not. Maybe not?

-Frank
    10-22-2011 03:33 PM
    It's been so long ago since I rooted and slapped a custom ROM on my 0G Droid, but IIRC, wasn't the 0G Droid nearly - if not completely - free of Verizon bloatware?

It was super marketed by Verizon, and it wasn't even a Nexus phone. This would lead me to think that the Galaxy Nexus would contain very little, if any, bloatware.
    10-22-2011 11:57 PM
    Folks, go read up on how Nexus devices work. Verizon isn't allowed to TOUCH the ROM. Updates are issued directly from Google, and not from Verizon or Samsung. If Google does not want bloat on this device (which they don't, otherwise it wouldn't be a Nexus), then it will NOT have bloat.
    pwninobrlan and Stang68 like this.
    10-23-2011 12:36 AM
    If there is bloat on this phone, there will be so much dev work that they will put out tons of debloated custom roms. If not we will still have lots of custom roms and kernels which will make a super phone even better. No worries.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    10-23-2011 12:38 AM
    It's even harder for me to believe that you will ever see a VZW phone without a VCast or VZNavigator subscription option buiilt-in. I dunno if the iPhone's have this or not. Maybe not?

-Frank
    The Iphone 4 has no bloat on it. You have to download it if you want it. The only Verizon app I wanted and downloaded was the My Verizon app to look at my account. I have no doubt the GN will be the same way. The only thing I want from Verizon is the data widget.
    10-23-2011 12:54 AM
    Most people aren't bothered by the bloatware, at least your average consumer isn't. They consider it to be just another app on their device since phones come stock with so many apps already preloaded. And really, in this day & age, with so many custom roms floating around, bloat shouldn't be a concern for anyone else. Even if you don't root your phone, most major launchers give you the option of hiding any & all bloat you don't want on your phone. To tell you the truth, I'm surprised that people still bring it up.

tap'n
    10-23-2011 01:06 AM
    I just hope they dont bloat the face of the device with an ugly "Verizon Wireless" logo
    Stang68 and soccerfon711 like this.
    10-23-2011 01:08 AM
    I agree with you there!

tap'n
    10-23-2011 01:14 AM
    I just hope they dont bloat the face of the device with an ugly "Verizon Wireless" logo
    I agree 200 percent.
    10-23-2011 01:30 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD