Perplexed: Why did Verizon Choose to carry this phone?

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
What bloat was on the OG Droid? And they marketed the hell out of that phone.

There may have been no bloat on the og Droid but it was Verizon branded. The whole Droid line is Verizon branded, when you hear Droid you think Verizon, the nexus does not do this for Verizon. This does not mean that Verizon will not promote the device, but it is far from a foregone conclusion.

ejaymd11

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
There may have been no bloat on the og Droid but it was Verizon branded. The whole Droid line is Verizon branded, when you hear Droid you think Verizon, the nexus does not do this for Verizon. This does not mean that Verizon will not promote the device, but it is far from a foregone conclusion.

And this is why marketing is more important, and probably why Verizon has it exclusive in the beginning. When they are done and it hits other carriers the Galaxy Nexus and Verizon will go hand in hand. Also you dont get exclusive dibs on a product to not market it.

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
And this is why marketing is more important, and probably why Verizon has it exclusive in the beginning. When they are done and it hits other carriers the Galaxy Nexus and Verizon will go hand in hand. Also you dont get exclusive dibs on a product to not market it.

We don't know anything about exclusivity though. It could launch on all carriers

loganthomas51

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Do clueless newbies really pay these exorbitant prices for the Verizon bloatware services. For instance, the NFL app. After paying 30 bones a month for 2 GB data would I really pay another 10 bones to use the NFL app and use up all my data on the first Sunday streaming RedZone. You don't have to be tech savvy to see that is a crazy idea. Does the NFL pay them just to place the app on the device.

Because we do not have the same carrier or we may buy something you don't want we are "clueless newbies"? The premium version of the NFL mobile app is free on 4g phones too FYI. And if I was to buy it what is the difference in people paying $400 for NFL Sunday ticket on Direct TV (which millions of people do). Just because you don't want something I do doesn't make me a "clueless newbie." Most of us have unlimited data with a 4g phone which means we don't pay for RedZone or NFL mobile but still enjoy it.

Also while I am on a tangent; I think that the premise that Verizon wont market it because there is no bloat is ridiculous. Verizon is a service provider not bloatware provider/supplier. The do make money on bloat but not nearly the amount they make on Voice/Data/Text. They would love to "market" that they have the first ICS phone. Lets just wait until the phone has at least been confirmed for a week before we assume they aren't marketing it. They have yet to market the Razr either, which we know will happen.

tluv00

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Big Red will market the hell out of this device. Don't you worry. LTE (they just activated another 22+ in the past few days), exclusive 1st launch and the only Android device of it's kind......they are probably making sure it's patent lawsuit free before going all "marketing orgy" with it. Give it a week and you will be sick of all the advertising.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Do clueless newbies really pay these exorbitant prices for the Verizon bloatware services. For instance, the NFL app. After paying 30 bones a month for 2 GB data would I really pay another 10 bones to use the NFL app and use up all my data on the first Sunday streaming RedZone. You don't have to be tech savvy to see that is a crazy idea. Does the NFL pay them just to place the app on the device.

No, actually, Verizon paid the NFL twice what Sprint was paying them to get that app.

NorCalStorm

Oct 31, 2009
www.twitter.com
I will buy one. And sell another 5 with my mouth and demostrations. I wil brag about the phone every chance I get. I will make sure its successful so I get to enjoy the many Nexus devices to come on VZW.

Akuma

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
People say Verizon is in the business of making money, and that they have a responsibility to the share holders... Jerry from AC says it all the time. I am sorry to burst everyones bubble but that statement holds true for all carriers. I'm always amazed while listening to the podcast how nobody ever mentions that simple fact.
Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I don't know why Verizon decided to carry it, nor do I care. I was one of those that said it would never come to Verizon as a vanilla Nexus device, and I was wrong (eating my words). But, I'm glad I was wrong. I'll buy this phone out of contract and love having it on the best network out there.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Im just glad its official now .The only other thing I need to know is the day vwz makes it available to order.Rumor has it as Nov 10th I know

sent via TaPaTaLk

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I am thinking the Razr will come out first. And then like 3 weeks later the Nexus.

I bet right around November 17 which is the new date being thrown around now.

I also think Verizon exclusive on this phone will be very short lived. Couple of weeks at most. If Verizon has an exclusive they would be shouting it out that they will be the only carrier with it.

Just my two cents

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
I also think Verizon exclusive on this phone will be very short lived. Couple of weeks at most. If Verizon has an exclusive they would be shouting it out that they will be the only carrier with it.

I don't see why Samsung would be in a hurry to launch this phone on other carriers. The differences between the Galaxy S II and the Nexus aren't large enough. The GS2 will eventually be updated to ICS. When that happens what's the point in having both phones available? It doesn't make sense for the average phone user.

I'm well aware the tech-heads on other carriers want the phone, but we're in the minority.

superlawyer15

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
People say Verizon is in the business of making money, and that they have a responsibility to the share holders... Jerry from AC says it all the time. I am sorry to burst everyones bubble but that statement holds true for all carriers. I'm always amazed while listening to the podcast how nobody ever mentions that simple fact.
Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

making money and their responsibility to their shareholders doesn't always go hand in hand

there are many situations where a firm has to make a decision that stops them from making as much money as possible, but in the end that decisions was better for their shareholders

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay