10-26-2011 02:23 PM
52 123
tools
    What does this even have to do with the Nexus?
    10-23-2011 08:00 PM
    plus, if you don't want to use VVM from verizon, there are more options which don't require porting your number to google voice. I've been using YouMail and I love it. It's also 100% free.
    10-23-2011 08:11 PM
    plus, if you don't want to use VVM from verizon, there are more options which don't require porting your number to google voice. I've been using YouMail and I love it. It's also 100% free.
    That's misleading. You don't have to port your number to Google Voice in order to use it. All my voicemails go directly to Google Voice, and I never give out my Google Voice number. Everyone calls me at my regular cell phone number.
    10-23-2011 08:24 PM
    That's misleading. You don't have to port your number to Google Voice in order to use it. All my voicemails go directly to Google Voice, and I never give out my Google Voice number. Everyone calls me at my regular cell phone number.
    I had major issues with google voice and sprint. I think they have fixed them, but I don't think I will be using them again, my solution is simple and works great. When I had sprint, I had an airave and when I ported my number over to Google Voice, I couldn't receive calls anymore when my phone was connected to my airave. I believe that is fixed for people who have it, but it was just such a hassel for me. YouMail works great and takes seconds to setup.
    10-24-2011 05:12 AM
    Then maybe it's time you leave VZW? Ohh yes that's right you're stuck on ya moms family plan...... hahahaha.......... i kid i kid
    How dare you!?!? I'm stuck on my sister's plan.
    I pay $50 a month and don't have any want for VVM or anything else that costs extra...maybe road side assistance. With me, Verizon has been awesome and extremely flexable but it's the principle...also as a newly former vZw employee, I know that they're working on reducing some of those extra fees.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    10-24-2011 08:32 AM
    Man; why are you guys jumping does the OP's throat? Who are you defending? Google or Verizon? Yes Google Voice is simple enough but that's not his point and he isn't dissing Google Voice, he's stating that it should be an option and not a requirement if you want a good VVM without paying.
    10-24-2011 09:22 AM
    People always want something for free. The others offered a simple option that even a child could do but sounds like the OP is just looking for an excuse to complain about Verizon and Android. If you're not willing to deal with simple workarounds, then android probably isn't the best option.
    Hosehead likes this.
    10-24-2011 09:52 AM
    I don't understand how this thread belongs in the Galaxy Nexus group.
    10-24-2011 10:30 AM
    I don't understand how this thread belongs in the Galaxy Nexus group.
    Especially when the Galaxy Nexus will not have the Verizon Visual Voicemail app. It is supposed to have VVM built in.
    10-24-2011 11:43 AM
    I still don't understand the problem. It's not like you have to dial a separate number to access your voicemails, and you also don't have to hand out a second number for anyone to dial. You set up Google Voice once and then from that point forward it is completely transparent.

This is simply complaining just to complain.
    furthermore, setting it up is basically going through a set of preprogrammed steps, all of which are either automated, or tell you exactly what to do and what to expect. If you have not even bothered to read up on google voice voicemail integration and how it works and is setup, then your complaint is even more baseless...

And again, you only need to do it once, EVER. I have re-rommed my droid incredible with an AOSP based ROM and have yet to redo the Google Voice voicemail setup process more than once. Unless you specifically change how your voicemail is setup at the carrier level, or you change your number, etc, then there is only one time that you have to setup Google Voice voicemail.

If that is too much of a pain, then you need to do your homework on what devices your coveted $3.00 a month visual voicemail app will work on. As far as I can tell, its not able to be determined whether or not VZW's VVM service will work on the gnex at this moment.

So cool your jets already - do your homework on the many options that have already been discussed in this thread/forum because you are already endowed with time until we get more information AND a release date for the gnex
    10-24-2011 11:49 AM
    Wow, the whole lot of you jumping on the OP is pretty pathetic. And shame on the moderator for piling on too. Nice job *rolls eyes*. The OP is basically saying that the VVM on Android/Verizon is not ideal. And it's not. You all sound as bad as the iSheep over on MacRumors.

After having had several Verizon Android devices and now the iPhone 4 on Verizon, VVM on Android is not up to par. It's not a part of the OS and native dialer app and it's not free, as it is on the iPhone. VVM is part of iOS and it's just another tab in my dialer, and it's free. With Android, VVM is a separate app, and it's not free. Or you can have it forwarded to GV which is free, but again you have to go to a separate app for your voicemail. Not ideal and it would be nice if in ICS they implemented VVM similarly to how it is in iOS.

Instead of jumping on the OP, don't read the thread if you don't like the topic.
    10-24-2011 11:59 AM
    Wow, the whole lot of you jumping on the OP is pretty pathetic. And shame on the moderator for piling on too. Nice job *rolls eyes*. The OP is basically saying that the VVM on Android/Verizon is not ideal. And it's not. You all sound as bad as the iSheep over on MacRumors.

After having had several Verizon Android devices and now the iPhone 4 on Verizon, VVM on Android is not up to par. It's not a part of the OS and native dialer app and it's not free, as it is on the iPhone. VVM is part of iOS and it's just another tab in my dialer, and it's free. With Android, VVM is a separate app, and it's not free. Or you can have it forwarded to GV which is free, but again you have to go to a separate app for your voicemail. Not ideal and it would be nice if in ICS they implemented VVM similarly to how it is in iOS.

Instead of jumping on the OP, don't read the thread if you don't like the topic.
    It is... We've been trying to say that!

Visual voicemail - Unwrapping Android Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 (photos) - CNET Reviews

What is unknown is whether VZW will try to charge for it. I personally don't think they will, its not their app and its not their service. And for this device to be pure google, they won't remove it (I don't think they can, its built in too deep into the phone app)
    10-24-2011 12:09 PM
    It is... We've been trying to say that!

Visual voicemail - Unwrapping Android Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 (photos) - CNET Reviews

What is unknown is whether VZW will try to charge for it. I personally don't think they will, its not their app and its not their service. And for this device to be pure google, they won't remove it (I don't think they can, its built in too deep into the phone app)
    Well that's great that Google is changing that aspect. But knowing Verizon, they will charge for it. The iPhone was an exception only because they finally realized they needed it more than Apple needed them. Although surprising that Verizon would allow an un-bloated Nexus device, I think they would have the leverage to charge to actually use the VVM feature if you want it, or just have you use the standard dial in for it if you don't want to pay to play.

My post was more directed at the individuals on the first page or so, berating the OP and suggesting GV was what he should either accept or shut up.
    10-24-2011 12:22 PM
    Well that's great that Google is changing that aspect. But knowing Verizon, they will charge for it. The iPhone was an exception only because they finally realized they needed it more than Apple needed them. Although surprising that Verizon would allow an un-bloated Nexus device, I think they would have the leverage to charge to actually use the VVM feature if you want it, or just have you use the standard dial in for it if you don't want to pay to play.

My post was more directed at the individuals on the first page or so, berating the OP and suggesting GV was what he should either accept or shut up.
    I agree with you... I personally didn't like Google Voice. Its not the only option either. I have faith that verizon will not charge for this. I use an app from the market that is free and not a service provided by Verizon and haven't been charged for using it.
    10-24-2011 12:41 PM
    I can't believe this thread actually has 39 posts to it. Stop the madness !

<wait, I just contributed to it>
    10-25-2011 08:22 PM
    VVM for VZW sucks anyway, even if it was free! it has nowhere near the features. you dont have to port, change, forward, anything to get Voice to handle your voicemail. im not sure why you would ever want VZW to handle your VM. why tie your VM to a carrier? Voice is agnostic, you can take it anywhere on any carrier. that in and of itself is reason to use voice. good day.
    10-25-2011 09:27 PM
    I think VVM will be just what the OP wanted ,now that it's integrated into ICS.
    10-25-2011 09:34 PM
    I think VVM will be just what the OP wanted ,now that it's integrated into ICS.
    no doubt it will but, it is Voice they are integrating with! so whether you like the "difficult " method of setting up Voice or not that is what the back end will be for ICS VVM.
    10-25-2011 09:39 PM
    I second the free Youmail voicemail...been useing it for years and love the personalized greeting by each caller's name with the female British accent.
    10-26-2011 09:40 AM
    Back when I used Youmail, I was playing with the Psychiatric hotline greeting and forgot to turn it off.

First, I got some funny voicemails.

Second, my friends and family were calling my phone just to have THEIR friends listen to it
    10-26-2011 10:21 AM
    Back when I used Youmail, I was playing with the Psychiatric hotline greeting and forgot to turn it off.

First, I got some funny voicemails.

Second, my friends and family were calling my phone just to have THEIR friends listen to it
    lol, im going to try that... I'll use it for my family.
    10-26-2011 10:29 AM
    My bad, mental health hotline.

Here is a sample.

10-26-2011 10:35 AM
    My bad, mental health hotline.

Here is a sample.

found it... its a popular one. Didn't even know about the custom greetings until now.
    10-26-2011 10:40 AM
    I dint get enough voice mails to give a flying Bacawk
    10-26-2011 10:48 AM
    I also find Google Voice fun and easy to use, and I'm even considering giving out my GV number instead of my cell number so I can have better filtering options through GV. I'm waiting, honestly, for Google to start charging for GV.

Also, the GV transcriptions are often hilarious
    10-26-2011 12:57 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD