I am going to buy the Galaxy Nexus for sure and I want to get it early, but it seems like Verizon will be the first to get it. I've never had Verizon data plan before so I was wondering if it is true that tethering through your phone requires you to install a verizon app and pay for it even though Nexus comes with the tethering function?

Any Verizon customer want to help me out here?

Thanks.
    10-23-2011 03:04 PM
    I'm rooted and have used pdanet with no consequence. I don't tether very much though.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    10-23-2011 03:11 PM
    don't pay to tether..

you paid for data, use it the way you want to use it

just root and install 1 of the many apps that allow you to tether for free
    10-23-2011 03:22 PM
    If you want to do it the right way you have to pay $20 for 2GB of tethering data. Not sure if you need a Verizon app or use the built in tethering option in ICS, I guess we'll find out when the launch gets closer.

Now if you want to root and do it that way you can, just be warned they can tell if your doing it and its really easy for them to see. Not saying you'll get caught but if Verizon really wanted to, they could catch you and bill you for that data.

Pick your poison.
    10-23-2011 04:28 PM
    That sucks, I am with T-Mobile and using a Nexus one, I've been tethering for a long time and they didn't seem to have any problem with it. Maybe I should wait until T-Mobile's version then. Thanks for all the info.
    10-23-2011 06:49 PM
    That sucks, I am with T-Mobile and using a Nexus one, I've been tethering for a long time and they didn't seem to have any problem with it. Maybe I should wait until T-Mobile's version then. Thanks for all the info.
    I'm fairly sure the HSPA version they showed had AWS bands so an unlocked GSM version should be fine on T mobile if they don't have their own yet. That would be a bit expensive though.
    10-23-2011 08:42 PM
    I bet they have a problem with it, they just don't see it as a wide spread issue. Trust me, if they ever decided to crack down on it, they'd sure as hell do the same thing as Verizon.
    10-23-2011 09:14 PM
    If you want to do it the right way you have to pay $20 for 2GB of tethering data.
    Actually, the lowest Verizon "w/tethering" data plan is $50/mo for 4GB of total data. No discrimination on how it is used.

-Frank

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk
    10-23-2011 11:18 PM
    Actually, the lowest Verizon "w/tethering" data plan is $50/mo for 4GB of total data. No discrimination on how it is used.

-Frank

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk
    Which makes it so awesome that the guy at the store told me I would have to get a second $30/2gb plan. Good thing I was just looking. But I knew better...I should've confronted him on that! It's stupid. I wonder how many customers he's screwed out of $10/month with that little trick.
    10-24-2011 08:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD