11-03-2011 01:02 AM
56 123
tools
    Obviously, it has aGPS for quicker locks.
    Please pardon my ignorance; is aGPS a distinguishing point between the Galaxy Nexus and some of the Samsung phones that have been mentioned as having GPS problems? Or was this just mentioned as a baseline that all the Samsung phones should have had?
    10-27-2011 06:40 PM
    When did it break?
    10-27-2011 06:48 PM
    Please pardon my ignorance; is aGPS a distinguishing point between the Galaxy Nexus and some of the Samsung phones that have been mentioned as having GPS problems? Or was this just mentioned as a baseline that all the Samsung phones should have had?

It was establishing a baseline for smartphones.

Afterwards, I said However, it also has...
    10-27-2011 06:54 PM
    It was establishing a baseline for smartphones.

Afterwards, I said However, it also has...
    Makes sense, and that's what I thought you meant (it would seem like madness for something like the Samsung Galaxy S line to not have aGPS).
    10-27-2011 07:11 PM
    Yes it would, but it wasn't that long ago that smartphones didn't have aGPS. Initially, my Omnia didn't.
    10-27-2011 07:13 PM
    I don't know if its a moto thing or what but my Xoom is fast to lock on and incredibly accurate. It does have a barometer but I don't know if Google navigation uses it. If so, and the GN is going to have similar GPS accuracy I can say for certain you guys will be very pleasantly surprised...
    10-28-2011 04:21 PM
    Will the Samsung Galaxy Nexus have the GPS fix?
    Is there a problem with Nexus's GPS that you're aware of?
    I thought so.
    10-28-2011 08:27 PM
    Is there a problem with Nexus's GPS that you're aware of?
    I thought so.
    No, it might be the fact that he still has doubt about Samsung's GPS after the SGS GPS debacle (it's just one generation of a line, come on, get over it).
    10-28-2011 08:51 PM
    No, it might be the fact that he still has doubt about Samsung's GPS after the SGS GPS debacle (it's just one generation of a line, come on, get over it).
    In the meantime, SGS2, Infuse and pretty much all Samsung phones I've tried had a perfect GPS lock...
    10-28-2011 08:53 PM
    In the meantime, SGS2, Infuse and pretty much all Samsung phones I've tried had a perfect GPS lock...
    That's what I said, the SGS was pretty much the only Samsung phones with GPS problems...
    10-29-2011 01:12 PM
    That's what I said, the SGS was pretty much the only Samsung phones with GPS problems...
    a few people have posted that their Samsung Charge gets horrible GPS locks.
    10-29-2011 01:15 PM
    a few people have posted that their Samsung Charge gets horrible GPS locks.
    Just wait and see I guess.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk
    10-29-2011 01:38 PM
    I can say that I've had the Samsung Fascinate (SGS I) and now the Samsung Droid Charge. Released about a year apart? BOTH HAVE BAD GPS's. I've had multiples of each.
    Both eventually will lock on, but it can take upwards of 10 minutes to do so in GMaps. So I can't even think about using an App that depends on GPS at all if i need a really close lock (unless I wanna wait 10 minutes)..and it sucks. I really hope this isn't an issue anymore.
    10-29-2011 10:11 PM
    To clear this up. the 4 main variants of the SGS and the International SGS were a big flop in GPS (except some of the Epics have a decent one). And then all the other SGS variants just sort of vary. For example, the Infuse (I would consider an SGS variant since it has touchwiz 3.0 and the Hummingbird Processor) has a pretty good GPS and as some have mentioned, the Charge isn't equipped with a very stellar GPS. So yes, like I said again, the SGS line of phones don't have good GPS's but there are some exceptions (Infuse, some Epics, and maybe some of the regional carrier SGS variants).
    10-30-2011 06:21 PM
    Now that's cleared up how about the wifi. The sgs2 was supposedly bad and the GN uses the exact same module. BCM4330.....or we can wait for it to come out and find out...
    10-30-2011 06:38 PM
    Now that's cleared up how about the wifi. The sgs2 was supposedly bad and the GN uses the exact same module. BCM4330.....or we can wait for it to come out and find out...
    That, I can agree with. Most samsung phones don't have a good Wifi module.
    Edit: Excuse me, let me rephrase that. Most Samsung phones don't have a good Wifi module COMPARED to other smartphones. The Wifi range is still fairly good but other smartphone manufacturers have managed to have crazy Wifi range with their modules. So by all means, Samsung's wifi module isn't really gimped, just gimped when compared to others (not sure if that makes sense haha).
    10-30-2011 07:21 PM
    That, I can agree with. Most samsung phones don't have a good Wifi module.
    Edit: Excuse me, let me rephrase that. Most Samsung phones don't have a good Wifi module COMPARED to other smartphones. The Wifi range is still fairly good but other smartphone manufacturers have managed to have crazy Wifi range with their modules. So by all means, Samsung's wifi module isn't really gimped, just gimped when compared to others (not sure if that makes sense haha).
    I agree. Samsung is going to use that single band module again...oh well....my moto xoom on the other hand I have to turn wifi off when I leave the house or it keeps trying to connect to my router when I'm sitting around the corner waiting for the car to warm up....probably 150-200 yards NOT line of sight...lol
    10-30-2011 07:29 PM
    Samsung has ALWAYS had a GPS issue. I had an omnia I910 windows mobile 6 phone and the GPS is useless... I was in Italy alot lol (just kidding, but my gps always put me there)

Don't forget its got a barameter (sp?) So maybe Google had a reason for putting it on there.
    10-30-2011 07:48 PM
    Samsung has ALWAYS had a GPS issue. I had an omnia I910 windows mobile 6 phone and the GPS is useless... I was in Italy alot lol (just kidding, but my gps always put me there)

Don't forget its got a barameter (sp?) So maybe Google had a reason for putting it on there.
    what about the recent Samsung phones? namely the S2?

AFAIK, there isn't any issue with S2's GPS function
    10-30-2011 08:18 PM
    what about the recent Samsung phones? namely the S2?

AFAIK, there isn't any issue with S2's GPS function
    Not at all. I have both SG2 and Infuse. ZERO GPS Issues.
    No need to panic.
    10-30-2011 09:54 PM

Again, stop with the doubts. This is like the opposite of Apple's distortion field...
    10-30-2011 11:55 PM
    Seriously people, the GPS issues aren't like a disease, they don't spread from phone to phone.
    10-30-2011 11:58 PM
    I've also heard Samsung has absolutely horrible GPS.

Will probably avoid this phone because it most likely won't be fixed.
    11-01-2011 10:27 AM
    I heard that Toyota's were junk when they first hit the USA. I don't understand why so many people buy them.
    11-01-2011 10:31 AM
    Based on my own personal experience, I think the OP asks a valid question. I went through so many Fascinate's trying to get one that had working GPS, that I finally gave up. I travel approximately 50% of the time and there's nothing more frustrating than opening up Google Nav and watching the blinking GPS icon flash for 5-10 minutes. Sometimes it locked instantly, but the majority of the time it didn't. We all have different needs, but my top 2 are GPS and a decent speaker phone. That said, my Thunderbolt wasn't any better, so it's not fair to say it's a Samsung problem. Then there's those who say it was a non issue for them; which led me to try more exchanges thinking maybe I got a bad one. After 4 of them I gave up. This is an incredibly long read, but I think this article partially explains what happened:

How Google controls Android: digging deep into the Skyhook filings | The Verge

If you can't get through it, at least scroll down to the Samsung section.

Because this phone is running ICS, and Google is Samsung's customer, I'd be surprised if the Galaxy Nexus was released with GPS problems. Nav and maps are a core product of Google's. I'm certain GPS will be stellar. The real answer will be in this forum once it ships.

I was also excited to see that the Galaxy S II Epic locked quickly and accurately.
    11-01-2011 11:13 AM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD