Will Galaxy Nexus have GPS Fixed?

jamor

Banned
Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Samsung has bad rep with GPS as many know.

HTC GPS is absolutely amazing for me.

Will the Samsung Galaxy Nexus have the GPS fix?

borgey401

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I don't think anybody will be able to answer the OPs question since nobody except tester have used the device as a daily driver yet. I am sure GPS will be fine, Samsung has come a long way with their devices since they started. Not too sure but I don't think I have heard any issues about the SGS2 having GPS issues like the SGS did. Anyway again not too sure if the issue was hardware or software related but this device will be AOSP and all the other devices that had issues were TouchWiz so maybe this will come into play also. I wouldn't worry about it Google and Samsung have put a lot into this device. After all this device is pretty much the holy grail of Android!!!! Everybody who's into Android wants a Nexus and if they tell you otherwise they're lying!

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I believe Samsung fixed a GPS issue they had with the SGS with the SGII. If it doesn't work right I'll return the thing but I'm nearly positive this will not be an issue. I couldn't imagine Google to allow a piece of junk to roll out...

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Why does everyone give Samsung a bad rep about the GPS? As far as I know, the only Samsung phones that had GPS issues (aside from the defective SGS2 units) were the SGS and family (except for half of the Epics).

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
its a legit question.

galaxy S had terrible GPS.. and the software updates didnt fully fix the issues.

not everyone has already upgraded from a galaxy S or knows the entire history of samsungs GPS improvements since then, or whether or not they even have made any changes.

I for one was curious as to whether or not they improved it by now.. so this thread was useful for me.

Minacious

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
An impossible question to answer, since no one can predict the future, nor does anyone know if that future will be a device with GPS issues.

A more appropriate question would have been, "Do you think there's a chance the Galaxy Nexus could be plagued with the same GPS issues some Samsung devices had in the past?"

mlb2305

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
The GPS on my Charge sucks. My DX was dead nuts accurate. If the GPS is accurate on the Nexus it is my next phone.....if not I will be going for the RAZR.

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
On my Infuse 4G GPS works just fine, on SGS2 International version works perfectly fine. I'm not sure what issue you were talking about, but I think Samsung has been making their products pretty damn perfect if you ask me.
On the other hand my HTC Thunderbolt had some ridiculous issues with Froyo + GPS, way more than any issue I've seen on any Samsung phone.

scottmporter

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I had a Samsung Droid Charge for two weeks in late August -- I would launch Runkeeper, enable GPS and then start running -- the GPS lock would take anywhere from 2-4 minutes. On my current Bionic I launch Runkeeper, get taken to the enable GPS screen and by the time I check the box and go back to Runkeeper the GPS has locked on and is ready to go.

I hope to get the Galaxy Nexus on launch day -- I hope that it doesn't have the GPS issues that the Charge had.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
It really seems like Samsung has a bad rep with GPS. You heard things like:
I'm gonna get the SGS2 but I hope it doesn't have a bad GPS like the SGS!
And look what we have here, we got a perfectly functioning GPS on it.

Yet you don't hear things like:
I'm gonna get the HTC Holiday but I hope it doesn't have a bad GPS like the Inspire!
And the Holiday will most likely have good GPS as bad GPSes aren't much of a common problem for high end phones.

The point is that I wouldn't base my judgement of a phone off the older version because, well, that's why they make a newer version in the first place: to improve on issues that the last generation had.

Jdm4292

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
It really seems like Samsung has a bad rep with GPS. You heard things like:
I'm gonna get the SGS2 but I hope it doesn't have a bad GPS like the SGS!
And look what we have here, we got a perfectly functioning GPS on it.

Yet you don't hear things like:
I'm gonna get the HTC Holiday but I hope it doesn't have a bad GPS like the Inspire!
And the Holiday will most likely have good GPS as bad GPSes aren't much of a common problem for high end phones.

The point is that I wouldn't base my judgement of a phone off the older version because, well, that's why they make a newer version in the first place: to improve on issues that the last generation had.

A well stated point. Perhaps so conclusive, this thread can be closed. As much as I rely on GPS for mountain biking, Google latitude and other events, it really doesn't do us any good guessing. We'll just have to wait until somewhere someone posts a video or a review of the GPS, likely not until the device is announced.

Sent from my ADR6400L

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance