Will Galaxy Nexus have GPS Fixed?

nvelez

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
I used to use my Nexus One's GPS for driving purposes and hand my Galaxy S to the kids in the back. They got a kick out of watching me drive through lakes, rivers, and houses. The best was once when I turned right and it had me driving 2 more blocks straight.
My Nexus S GPS is OK. Not as quick to lock on as my N1 but much better then my Captivate.

Bad GPS is an absolute deal breaker for me. I'm paying full price for the Nexus so it better do everything my Nexus One did and then alot more seeing as its 2 years newer.

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Nexus has more things going for it, GPS wise.

Obviously, it has aGPS for quicker locks.

However, it also has a barometer which (I've read) will allow for quicker GPS locks as well.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
However, it also has a barometer which (I've read) will allow for quicker GPS locks as well.

That's exactly what it's for.

Basically, a GPS lock requires the calculation of 3 different location dimensions (plus time) from satellite vectors (Lat, Long, and altitude). By supplying an independent starting point for altitude, the barometer can greatly speed up the calculation process.

So to answer the OP's question, the Galaxy Nexus should have one of the fastest and most precise GPS results on a phone, although obviously we'll have to see that in practice (and reviews) to know for sure.

yapkuen

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Obviously, it has aGPS for quicker locks.

Please pardon my ignorance; is aGPS a distinguishing point between the Galaxy Nexus and some of the Samsung phones that have been mentioned as having GPS problems? Or was this just mentioned as a baseline that all the Samsung phones should have had?

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Please pardon my ignorance; is aGPS a distinguishing point between the Galaxy Nexus and some of the Samsung phones that have been mentioned as having GPS problems? Or was this just mentioned as a baseline that all the Samsung phones should have had?

It was establishing a baseline for smartphones.

Afterwards, I said However, it also has...

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if its a moto thing or what but my Xoom is fast to lock on and incredibly accurate. It does have a barometer but I don't know if Google navigation uses it. If so, and the GN is going to have similar GPS accuracy I can say for certain you guys will be very pleasantly surprised...

bmoore0909

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I can say that I've had the Samsung Fascinate (SGS I) and now the Samsung Droid Charge. Released about a year apart? BOTH HAVE BAD GPS's. I've had multiples of each.
Both eventually will lock on, but it can take upwards of 10 minutes to do so in GMaps. So I can't even think about using an App that depends on GPS at all if i need a really close lock (unless I wanna wait 10 minutes)..and it sucks. I really hope this isn't an issue anymore.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
To clear this up. the 4 main variants of the SGS and the International SGS were a big flop in GPS (except some of the Epics have a decent one). And then all the other SGS variants just sort of vary. For example, the Infuse (I would consider an SGS variant since it has touchwiz 3.0 and the Hummingbird Processor) has a pretty good GPS and as some have mentioned, the Charge isn't equipped with a very stellar GPS. So yes, like I said again, the SGS line of phones don't have good GPS's but there are some exceptions (Infuse, some Epics, and maybe some of the regional carrier SGS variants).

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Now that's cleared up how about the wifi. The sgs2 was supposedly bad and the GN uses the exact same module. BCM4330.....or we can wait for it to come out and find out...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol