Concerns seem to be building

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
And there are fanboys who haven't even tested the phone. And yet they refuse to hear anything even remotely negative about it...Straight out of late night infomercials (whatever that means).
See, you can't really apply that expression to people that are excited about the upcoming product since it's not even out yet. There is no way of creating the problem since you can't test the product...
But I hear ya.

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
And there are fanboys who haven't even tested the phone. And yet they refuse to hear anything even remotely negative about it...Straight out of late night infomercials (whatever that means).

I've looked up and down this thread and not seen anything out of place or that seems fanboyish. If anything it became strictly a Gorilla Glass debate. If you do not believe what I said in post 2, I am certain you can verify it through research.

What I do see is a couple people getting upset because there is a debate happening and they don't agree with it, be it one side or another. Might I recommend you guys find another thread if it bothers you so?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I want the phone because it's the latest Google device and because it's on Verizon's network. I wouldn't let the details like glass or sd card keep me from the big picture. Unfortunately, there will probably never be a phone that has exactly what anyone wants it to have. You just have to weigh the pros and cons of each new device, and if it's too far from what you need it to be, get a different one.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Corning would be within all legal rights to advertise who uses their products, unless it was some top secret classified information. I don't think iPhone falls under that :D
Apple is notoriously secretive about what they use. If they asked Corning not to market it that would be very easy. It would also be in Corning's best interest to honor the agreement.

xAGx#AC

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
You guys, let's face it. Concern is growing. Samsung and Google just need to flat out cancel this device. It's dead on arrival.

You're absolutely right. This device is a train wreck. Its obviously a joke and the real Nexus Prime is on its way. ;)

Concern is good! All of those who dont want this because it doesnt make them breakfast means there will be more for us who still want it on launch day! :p

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I've looked up and down this thread and not seen anything out of place or that seems fanboyish. If anything it became strictly a Gorilla Glass debate. If you do not believe what I said in post 2, I am certain you can verify it through research.

What I do see is a couple people getting upset because there is a debate happening and they don't agree with it, be it one side or another. Might I recommend you guys find another thread if it bothers you so?

Amen to that!

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Apple is notoriously secretive about what they use. If they asked Corning not to market it that would be very easy. It would also be in Corning's best interest to honor the agreement.

I don't see any benefit to that. Here is why

• Gorilla Glass branding gives people that warm, fuzzy feeling. It only enhances the iPhone name.
  • Who else would they use? Seriously? Corning doesn't have to bow to Apple.

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
You're absolutely right. This device is a train wreck. Its obviously a joke and the real Nexus Prime is on its way. ;)

Concern is good! All of those who dont want this because it doesnt make them breakfast means there will be more for us who still want it on launch day! :p

Haha watch out! :D

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site

• Gorilla Glass branding gives people that warm, fuzzy feeling. It only enhances the iPhone name.

Apple only markets Apple. They're not in the business of promoting other companies. Most people have no idea what Gorilla Glass is and Apple is fine with that.

The idea that Corning would have a problem with that arrangement is laughable. Companies make agreements like that all the time.

revickulous2001

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site

CORNING? GORILLA? GLASS

Corning admits on this page that they don't advertise all products that use Gorilla Glass per requests from certain manufacturers.

Reactions: nemov

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Dragontrail Glass info and video

Do a Google search on Dragontrail glass. There is a lot of info and video demos, some of them comparing it with GGlass. Seems OK to me.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site

I've read conflicting reports about this. Corning says their self not all the products they supply are advertised on manufacture request. And Apple is pretty good at selling their products on how it benefits the owner not specs (ex. 4470 processor! OK what does that actually mean? Nothing. The phone is fast...period...).

I thought I read that ifixit confirmed it but when I checked ifixit they just say "the glass is reported to be gorilla glass" with no references.

I agree with your post of just get a screen protector as that's what I'm planning on doing now. If I later find out its some super glass then I can always take it off.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Dragontrail Glass info and video

Do a Google search on Dragontrail glass. There is a lot of info and video demos, some of them comparing it with GGlass. Seems OK to me.

I've read good things too. However to the best of my knowledge there are no confirmed reports of it being Dragontrail either. Maybe I missed something though...

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Tenifer finish is supposedly near as hard as diamond. And its not that smooth either so you can grip the slide. While I'm not sure if it would have scratch the screen of a none gorilla glass device I wear through leather holsters in no time which are very tough. Just picked up a Wilson Combat holster made from elephant hide, supposedly last a lifetime....it won't....

Here is a good example vs the competition...video at the bottom...

Gorilla Glass Demo [PLUS: How Gorilla Glass Works - Chemically!] - SlashGear

Thanks for the link, to everybody asking if Gorilla Glass makes curved glass the answer is yes. But not having it won't keep me from buying this phone.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

I think me and you are basically on the same page.. we both currently own fascinates.. and we both want galaxy nexus's.. but we are concerned about a few things and simply dont want to get burned.

Which I feel we were kinda burned on the fascinate.. which happens to be the same mfg as the galaxy nexus.

without offending anyone let me state my concerns.. and I know it will take a review or some good leaks to get solid answers on these.. but none the less these are my concerns.

1. Samsungs GPS track record.
2. I have read that Motorola and HTC have stronger radios in their phones.. whats the general concensus on this? I get like -78 dbm on my fascinate at my house.. I think thats pretty good and I have no complaints.. but Im curious if it would be even stronger on a motorola device. Of course software is a big part of the phone and pure ICS is a huge advantage.. but if its got inferior radio/gps hardware then is it really a smart buy?
3. As mentioned before, the lack of GG situation.. would like to see the screen tested for scratch and shatter resistance.. I dont expect it to be bullet proof.. but I wanna see how it holds up (who knows.. could end up being better then GG)

I basically want the best hardware phone I can get.. Im not worried about GPU/CPU so much as im worried about things like the signal strength/gps/call quality (noise cancelling mics)/etc.

I am overall split with how I feel about the Galaxy S1 that I own.. The Galaxy Nexus just seems to good to pass up though.. I guess pretty much Ill just have to wait for the reviews and hopefully the reviewers get into detail about how well it actually functions as a smartphone.. not just how pretty ICS is. Once I know for sure its going to work good for navigation and call quality and screen durability.. I would love to own one.

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Apple only markets Apple. They're not in the business of promoting other companies. Most people have no idea what Gorilla Glass is and Apple is fine with that.

The idea that Corning would have a problem with that arrangement is laughable. Companies make agreements like that all the time.

Well, I am glad you are immature enough to find something I said laughable.

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
I've read conflicting reports about this. Corning says their self not all the products they supply are advertised on manufacture request. And Apple is pretty good at selling their products on how it benefits the owner not specs (ex. 4470 processor! OK what does that actually mean? Nothing. The phone is fast...period...).

I thought I read that ifixit confirmed it but when I checked ifixit they just say "the glass is reported to be gorilla glass" with no references.

I agree with your post of just get a screen protector as that's what I'm planning on doing now. If I later find out its some super glass then I can always take it off.

I wasn't aware they didn't announce all vendors. Good to know :)

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I think me and you are basically on the same page.. we both currently own fascinates.. and we both want galaxy nexus's.. but we are concerned about a few things and simply dont want to get burned.

Which I feel we were kinda burned on the fascinate.. which happens to be the same mfg as the galaxy nexus.

without offending anyone let me state my concerns.. and I know it will take a review or some good leaks to get solid answers on these.. but none the less these are my concerns.

1. Samsungs GPS track record.
2. I have read that Motorola and HTC have stronger radios in their phones.. whats the general concensus on this? I get like -78 dbm on my fascinate at my house.. I think thats pretty good and I have no complaints.. but Im curious if it would be even stronger on a motorola device. Of course software is a big part of the phone and pure ICS is a huge advantage.. but if its got inferior radio/gps hardware then is it really a smart buy?
3. As mentioned before, the lack of GG situation.. would like to see the screen tested for scratch and shatter resistance.. I dont expect it to be bullet proof.. but I wanna see how it holds up (who knows.. could end up being better then GG)

I basically want the best hardware phone I can get.. Im not worried about GPU/CPU so much as im worried about things like the signal strength/gps/call quality (noise cancelling mics)/etc.

I am overall split with how I feel about the Galaxy S1 that I own.. The Galaxy Nexus just seems to good to pass up though.. I guess pretty much Ill just have to wait for the reviews and hopefully the reviewers get into detail about how well it actually functions as a smartphone.. not just how pretty ICS is. Once I know for sure its going to work good for navigation and call quality and screen durability.. I would love to own one.
Why not waiting a few more weeks until the actual reviews show up, and you can try the phone yourself and decide if it's the right for you or not.
If not, that's fine, the new Motorola and HTC phone should be coming around the same time so you'll have lots of options.
No one can answer your questions as we are waiting for the phone, just like you are. Maybe Panda can chime in, since he's been using the phone for a while.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer