10-31-2011 06:27 PM
209 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Let's get back on topic, folks.

I have been following this device since rumors first surfaced about its existence. Throughout this entire team, this device has been rumored to be a "super phone." That coupled with ICS made this phone purchase a no-brainer.
    The problem is basically your expectations; you bought into the marketing hype.

The GN is simply a showcase for ICS. All along, the missing piece was the feature set of ICS. The GN was never about the hardware; it was about merging tablet features with phone features.
    10-26-2011 11:07 AM
    ^^ This.

Solid device with bleeding edge software is the Nexus motto.

Even when the Nexus One came out, the Incredible came out shortly after with the same specs.
    10-26-2011 11:09 AM
    1) Outdated GPU.

I doubt you would be able to tell. Why do people want a PHONE to run Crysis?

2) Unimpressive CPU (The Rezound is rumored to come with a 1.5 ghz processor)

GHz argument is the same as the Megapixel argument. Quality over Quantity.

3) No Gorilla Glass. Gorilla Glass has been very good to me in the past.

Kleenex has been very good in the past, but I can use Puffs.

4) No microSD card slot.

Last Nexus didn't have an SD slot. Galaxy Tab 10.1 doesn't have it. Xoom is read only. If carriers didn't cap/throttle data, this would not be an issue. This is a valid concern for some.

5) PenTile screen (Why outdated technology?)

Not outdated...316 dpi 720P display. If they could make the pixels any smaller, they would be able to fit RGB stripe, but they have used the most advanced technology available for OLED displays and this is it. Next year they might be able to do RGB stripe. I doubt you will be able to see that this is PenTile. Don't compare Motorola PenTile with Samsung PenTile. Moto sucks, Sammy doesn't. True RGB stripe would be better, but just not technologically possible at this price point.

6) Rumored issues with battery life. I don't think I've seen a single picture taken of the Galaxy Nexus with more than 20% battery life.

Battery has been reported as twice as good as the Bionic
    10-26-2011 11:46 AM
    I don't want this to run too far off topic, but this needs to be addressed since it's a moderator.

Adrynalyne said I was immature for pointing out the idea that vendor agreements do not exist is "laughable." Fair enough, I didn't realize Adrynalyne was unaware about the common practice of vendor agreements. Some people are more sensitive than others. However, Adrynalyne had already said my point "sounded like BS." Was that immature? Was that civil?

FWIW Corning makes an "aluminosilicate glass."

Lastly, what do you mean by "its better to keep me an ally than an enemy when it comes to Android?" I'd love to hear an explanation since it's coming from a moderator.

Thanks
    Really? Ok without taking sides. This is far too personal and off topic. Please....just please....Drop it. OT, I think everyone's concerns are valid...ok most everyone's and need to be truly addressed when the phone comes out. Hell let's start with when Verizon announces the phone....officially.
    10-26-2011 11:58 AM
    ^ I hope you spelt adrenaline wrong in purpose!
    No, I'm just very stupid. Or that's the way Adrynalyne spells his user name. How does this pertain to anything anyway?
    10-26-2011 12:07 PM
    Hell let's start with when Verizon announces the phone....officially.
    Lolwut? They did announce the phone already. We're now waiting for a pre-order and release date. In the absence of news, we're making crap up to say - like "I've got concerns..."
    10-26-2011 12:31 PM
    I don't want a preorder date, I want a launch date. I am hoping it is like the boinic with no preorder, just a availability date. It would also be nice if Costco had a accessory bundle pack too.
    10-26-2011 12:40 PM
    You talking to me? Its a net handle, and its spelled that way to be unique.

Google

94,400 hits, all me.
    Phonetically it's "a dry ina line"
    10-26-2011 12:52 PM
    Phonetically it's "a dry ina line"
    Do you normally pronounce words that doesn't exist phonetically?

I find that fascinating and maybe a little sad.

Anyway, next off topic comment gets deleted. Time to get back on track with whining about the specs.
    10-26-2011 01:14 PM
    Everyone keeps talking about the no sd slot. Has Samsung even confirmed this? On the day of the announcement when they announced the specs several things were missing. 1. They didn't mention who made the processor. Not sure if they normally do mention or not. 2. They didn't mention the camera specs at all. 3. They didn't mention anything about storage what so ever. Not how much internal, or external. So am I missing where Samsung has unveiled these specs? It seems like everyone is going off rumors at this point, and so little about the workings under the hood of this phone has been revealed.
    10-26-2011 01:32 PM
    The specs have been confirmed whether Samsung announced them or not. I trust the people that confirmed them.

I like the angle of playing devil's advocate and hoping for the best, but this is a for sure thing.
    10-26-2011 01:35 PM
    Everyone keeps talking about the no sd slot. Has Samsung even confirmed this? On the day of the announcement when they announced the specs several things were missing. 1. They didn't mention who made the processor. Not sure if they normally do mention or not. 2. They didn't mention the camera specs at all. 3. They didn't mention anything about storage what so ever. Not how much internal, or external. So am I missing where Samsung has unveiled these specs? It seems like everyone is going off rumors at this point, and so little about the workings under the hood of this phone has been revealed.
    Don't know if Samsung has said anything official about it or not, but there have been pictures of the front, back, top, bottom, both sides, battery cover off and battery taken out of the phone. No where is there a slot for a Micro SD card, a place for the sim but not the SD.
    10-26-2011 01:37 PM
    The specs have been confirmed whether Samsung announced them or not. I trust the people that confirmed them.

I like the angle of playing devil's advocate and hoping for the best, but this is a for sure thing.
    I wasn't playing anything. just saying until it's announced by the person building the phone it's all rumor. And why exactly was I just banned?

Don't know if Samsung has said anything official about it or not, but there have been pictures of the front, back, top, bottom, both sides, battery cover off and battery taken out of the phone. No where is there a slot for a Micro SD card, a place for the sim but not the SD.
    I understand your points. So why the secret when it comes to announcing the storage specs of the phone?
    10-26-2011 02:01 PM
    And why exactly was I just banned?
    The forum just crashed. Everyone was banned.
    10-26-2011 02:03 PM
    Yeah I was worried for a minute, wouldn't be the first time I was banned from a forum for no reason LOL.
    10-26-2011 02:04 PM
    I wasn't playing anything. just saying until it's announced by the person building the phone it's all rumor. And why exactly was I just banned?

I understand your points. So why the secret when it comes to announcing the storage specs of the phone?

When it comes to phone specs, its hard to rumor anything when a teardown has been performed. So....

You really think I was the reason you were banned?

I've never abused my power or role here, and rarely have time to moderate anyway.

PS--I was banned too. It was a forum snafu.
    10-26-2011 02:04 PM
    When it comes to phone specs, its hard to rumor anything when a teardown has been performed. So....

I've never abused my power or role here, and rarely have time to moderate anyway.

I was banned too. XD
    10-26-2011 02:06 PM

LOL Hey I made a post then got banned, what conclusions would you have come up with?
    10-26-2011 02:07 PM
    Yeah I was worried for a minute, wouldn't be the first time I was banned from a forum for no reason LOL.
    LOL!! I thought maybe I was spending too much time on here, looking for some nexus news and, they got tired of me.
    ejaymd11, Buck. and pwninobrlan like this.
    10-26-2011 02:08 PM
    I don't see how unless you are buying knockoff garbage with sharp edges on it.
    I own a Glock 30, and the slide would definately scratch glass (GG or not) if it were banging around against it all day.

Of course I wouldn't put my Xoom in the wrong pocket in the first place, but that's just me....
    10-26-2011 02:27 PM
    I own a Glock 30, and the slide would definately scratch glass (GG or not) if it were banging around against it all day.

Of course I wouldn't put my Xoom in the wrong pocket in the first place, but that's just me....
    It won't if the mohs rating is below the glass being used.
    10-26-2011 02:32 PM
    Its the same material as Zagg, but doesn't have that grippy feel, or orange peel look at certain angles. Its smooth just like the glass but no greasy feeling like glass sometimes gets from finger oils.

Ghost Armor Cell Phone Skins and Cases, Laptop Wraps & Screen Protectors | Ghost Armor
    Thanks for the link. The texture of the Zagg product is exactly what would stop me from buying it for this phone.
    10-26-2011 02:33 PM
    Thanks for the link. The texture of the Zagg product is exactly what would stop me from buying it for this phone.
    I hope you like it as much as I do.

You do have to make your own solution though. They give instructions, but its something like warm water in a coffee cup, and 3 drops of dish soap mixed (no bubbles).
    10-26-2011 02:37 PM
    I hope you like it as much as I do.

You do have to make your own solution though. They give instructions, but its something like warm water in a coffee cup, and 3 drops of dish soap mixed (no bubbles).
    I actually like that better, I always ran out of the zagg stuff, especially when I didn't get it right the first time. The orange peal look didn't bother me that much but, if I can get a product of the same quality as the zagg and, not have it, I will.
    10-26-2011 02:49 PM
    My experience with GG on the Incredible isn't the best. It has really tiny scratches everywhere. They're small enough that you can't see them when the screen is on or if you aren't looking for them, so it's fine, and I trust Samsung to use a decent fortified glass in the GN. Doubt I'm gonna buy a screen protector for it.
    10-26-2011 06:33 PM
209 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD