So heres the deal....I have the original Droid X, and I have had it since July 15th 2010. I am pretty satisfied with this phone, however as most of you know there are certain phones that make you drool so to speak, and you find yourself wanting to upgrade early. Obviously many phones have come out in the time that I have had my Droid X and I haven't even thought twice about any of them until I got a glimpse of this puppy.

I don't know why but this phone is really making me want to switch ASAP as soon as it is out. However, my upgrade isn't until March 2012, which seems like an ETERNITY considering I'm so excited about this phone I can hardly wait for it to come in in Nov....let alone March. So the question is has anyone ever successfully switched their upgrade date to an earlier date if it was within a few months. I know that verizon was sending out random emails for early upgrade grants in a push for customers to get the Bionic. I have been a customer with Verizon for many, many years and have never even considered attempting anything like this. I do NOT think I am "entitled" or think I deserve any "special treatment", but I have randomly come across situations where people get early upgrades by calling CS repeatedly until they get a nice rep, threatening to switch carriers, etc. Any helpful tips or information is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys
    10-25-2011 02:35 PM
    So heres the deal....I have the original Droid X, and I have had it since July 15th 2010. I am pretty satisfied with this phone, however as most of you know there are certain phones that make you drool so to speak, and you find yourself wanting to upgrade early. Obviously many phones have come out in the time that I have had my Droid X and I haven't even thought twice about any of them until I got a glimpse of this puppy.

I don't know why but this phone is really making me want to switch ASAP as soon as it is out. However, my upgrade isn't until March 2012, which seems like an ETERNITY considering I'm so excited about this phone I can hardly wait for it to come in in Nov....let alone March. So the question is has anyone ever successfully switched their upgrade date to an earlier date if it was within a few months. I know that verizon was sending out random emails for early upgrade grants in a push for customers to get the Bionic. I have been a customer with Verizon for many, many years and have never even considered attempting anything like this. I do NOT think I am "entitled" or think I deserve any "special treatment", but I have randomly come across situations where people get early upgrades by calling CS repeatedly until they get a nice rep, threatening to switch carriers, etc. Any helpful tips or information is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys
    You may just ask. I mean I got something in the mail regarding my wife's number back in June telling me that she could upgrade early so we got her the Revolution and her original upgrade wasn't until January.
    10-25-2011 02:40 PM
    Another quick question...which would be better...calling? or going into a store and schmoozing?
    10-25-2011 02:55 PM
    Another quick question...which would be better...calling? or going into a store and schmoozing?
    Personally I've always had better results by calling. When going to a store the reps always seem to have to call in anyway because they don't have authority to make special deals, exceptions etc.

Also, the quality of reps can vary by grand canyon sizes. We have a store that it 20 miles west of us and it is filled with the most useless and stupid reps I have ever seen. A friend of mine had his family switching to VZW from TMO and they went to that store. He asked me about it (after he had been there) and I gave him my opinion. He then told me he felt the same way, they walked out without signing up.

I referred them to another store about 40 miles east of us. That store has highly knowledgeable reps who are eager to please and have the know how to get things done. They went there and switch over to Verizon and came away happy. So service will vary HUGELY from store to store but if you want service call Verizon customer service.
    10-25-2011 03:12 PM
    I'd call
    10-25-2011 03:15 PM

I'm not exactly sure why.. but I'm only 11 months into my plan and I'm already eligible for upgrade.

my secondary line supposedly wasnt available yet (11 months in also), but I was able to upgrade that line to the HTC Rhyme.

I noticed on the invoice they added a $20 fee for "early upgrade" for that line, I called and got a very nice rep on the phone, he gave me a $20 credit on my account to offset that charge.

So maybe you can just call and ask to pay $20 dollars for an early upgrade fee?

if you would like ill take a picture of my invoice to show you this.

edit: and as far as my upgrade.. I used it and got an iphone 4.. returned it within 24 hours and paid the 35 dollar restocking fee.. Mine line is still eligible for upgrade and Ive confirmed it through various methods. I have a rep calling me at the end of the week and I might possibly place a Razr pre-order with him.

Although its amazingly hard to pass up on a phone like the Galaxy Nexus.. I'm pretty sure this is the exact phone (in concept atleast) that a vast majority of us have been waiting for.
    10-25-2011 06:08 PM
    Call customer service they will upgrade early with a $20 fee. Ask about that as the cs reps aren't always forth coming with that info. ask nicely and then ask to speak to a superviser and explain you'd like the new phone to utilize 4g and you're a long time customer. I've done the above in the past and have gotten an early upgrade.
    10-25-2011 06:55 PM
    I'm in the same position with my Droid X and I plan on calling the day the phone is released. I think it'll be pointless to call until the phone is actually available, i.e., I don't think it's as likely that I'll get my upgrade date moved if I'm not going to buy a new phone immediately (not as much incentive for the rep).
    10-25-2011 07:35 PM
    I'm in the same position with my Droid X and I plan on calling the day the phone is released. I think it'll be pointless to call until the phone is actually available, i.e., I don't think it's as likely that I'll get my upgrade date moved if I'm not going to buy a new phone immediately (not as much incentive for the rep).
    Yeah, that's a good point. You'd probably be more likely to get it if they know they'll be getting commission for the sale of the phone.
    10-25-2011 08:03 PM
    If march is the time that your actual contract expires, then you should be eligible for an early upgrade 4 months prior if it's a 2 year contract, 2 months if it's a 1 year

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    10-25-2011 08:38 PM
    For people who got the Droid X when it came out, March is the 20th month. The two years are up in July.
    10-25-2011 08:42 PM
    Wow guys thanks for the helpful responses.

Do the reps get a commission for selling a phone if they have someone on the line ready to buy one though?? If this is true I definitely am confident in being able to upgrade. Ironically enough I went to a Wal-Mart and bought my Droid X (1 of 3) while most people in the city were lining up at Verizon stores, so I did get very lucky to snag a Droid X on launch day- no rebates just the contract price straight up. I'm not sure how a purchase over the phone would work or if they would just refer you to the online purchase. Either way I just want the green light to upgrade and I might search the city like I did last time. If not though, this $20 secret door option sounds good too. Anyone else had any experience with this?? To the OP, if you're not too busy I suppose I wouldn't mind seeing that image.
    10-25-2011 09:35 PM
    If you're buying for the contract price before your upgrade date, you're going to have to talk to someone. If you try the website, it will only show you the retail price.
    10-25-2011 10:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD