Do most current Nexus owners run Cyanogen?

Stock or Cyanogen Mod

• Total voters

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I know this is an opinionated subject, and I realize that a Cyanogen mod wont be out for ICS right away, but I wanted to know if current Nexus users typically run it, or just leave there vanilla device stock? I've never run Cyanogen, but I believe it's intention is to mimic vanilla android on non-nexus devices. I guess the question is, does Cyanogen clean up any of the stock code so that it might even run faster/smoother with better battery life, or does it get no better than stock Nexus?

kvlt

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I know this is an opinionated subject, and I realize that a Cyanogen mod wont be out for ICS right away, but I wanted to know if current Nexus users typically run it, or just leave there vanilla device stock? I've never run Cyanogen, but I believe it's intention is to mimic vanilla android on non-nexus devices. I guess the question is, does Cyanogen clean up any of the stock code so that it might even run faster/smoother with better battery life, or does it get no better than stock Nexus?

It really depends on what optimizations they bring to ICS. I love CM personally, but i think im going to try and go the stock route this time around. My Nexus S(currently running the ICS sdk port :p) has been running on Cyanogen for a bit and its definitely one of the best roms out there for any device.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I've never run Cyanogen, but I believe it's intention is to mimic vanilla android on non-nexus devices. I guess the question is, does Cyanogen clean up any of the stock code so that it might even run faster/smoother with better battery life, or does it get no better than stock Nexus?

Cyanogenmod is not a pure stock experience. It has its own mods. I'm sure there are people with Nexus phones that run it.

sushiglobster

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
I've always wondered, is Cynogen and it's mods actually better than the stock experience or is the stock experience considered the absolute best it can get?

I have an OG droid and it uses the stock OS as it's a "Google Experience phone" but I've run Peter Alfonso's Bugless Beast ROM and GPA roms....and currently I'm running Cynogen7. The stock experience feels much more sluggish compared to these ROMs.

So....are ROMs still the way to go over a stock experience you think?

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Cyanogen brings stock android + mods. So basically you can run the Nexus stock, but Cyanogen gives you stock along with more customizations.

th0r615

god of thunder.
Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
CM was basically the only ROM that touched my Nexus One. I tried other ROMs but nothing came close to CM IMO. Its nothing huge, it was just the little things that made it so nice.

xAGx#AC

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
The stock ICS experience looks pretty smooth already....im not sure Cyanogen will be needed for speed improvements alone, it might not make a large improvement in that area, but if it does I will for sure looking at flashing it. Im interested to see what custom settings and such they implement though.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site

There are definite kernel optimizations going on. I personally run CM7 on my Thunderbolt because Every Sense ROM I've run just isn't as good overall. I love my HTC device, the dev's are awesome and top-notch, just can't take the bloat anymore. Why can't I use more than 2GB of my 8GB internal storage! Its just ridiculous and I got tired of it. Very happy to see a nexus device come to a carrier I'm on.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Stock Rom on a Nexus is the only way I will go. Custom roms always seem to have more bugs.

True. A lot of the time there is an inverse correlation between how modified a ROM is compared to stock and how stable it is. But if you wait long enough, the bugs get ironed out.

And work on the next version of Cyanogen will be started the minute the source code is released for ICS. I can't wait to see what they will do with Android 4.0.

Sent from my Google Nexus S

Mr. Poppalopolis

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I have an Incredible, and have run at least one stock AOSP rom, a few Sense roms, MIUI, CM6 and CM7. I have to say that CM is comparable to stock AOSP in terms of performance on the Inc, but to me has a lot more useful features. I'm sure I'll try out several roms for the GN, especially whenever Cyanogen comes out with an ICS release. My advice is to do a NAND backup and try anything that sounds promising.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I did run CM7 for a long time on my Nexus S 4G and still do on my Nook Color. But I've become and big fan of Peter Alfonso's GPA/Bugless Beast ROM since he started for the NS4G.

CM7 has lots of great features and a good community but Peter's stuff is just fast so it's my daily driver now.

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Im gonna see what CM9 has to offer. If it's better than stock, then ill run it. If it's nothing special, i'll just keep my phone rooted stock.

djwyman

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I like cm for the little things like the notification Widgets and I like the T-Mobile theme Chooser so I can change the colors on stuff ...like right now its mimicing ics kinda

D.J.

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Cyanogen is a good rom but aosp and stock roms are gonna be a bit more snappy but less feature rich and probably more stable without all of those experimental tweaks. It comes down to what you want your device to do. Personally I prefer a more stable snappy aosp rom over cm7 but that's just me.

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois