10-27-2011 11:05 AM
67 123
tools
    Can't get here soon enough!
    10-26-2011 02:03 PM
    hell just give us a direct buy option from google on 11/3 and pre-order with Verizon then or 11/10 and all will be fine with me.
    I would love that option.
    10-26-2011 02:11 PM
    I had already made up my mind on the Razr.. but now it realisticly looks like we wont even have a good grasp on a release date for the nexus for atleast another 2 weeks.. I highly doubt their will be no pre-order aswell.. I have no patience and my upgrade is burning to be used.. this completely seals the deal and cant wait for my Razr!

on a sidenote: is the Razr (dead forum on here, seems to be hated by the mods etc) so disliked because of the locked bootloader?

I get the impression if it wasnt a locked bootloader.. people would be defending it like their firstborn a la the nexus.
    10-26-2011 02:16 PM
    I would love that option.
    I think it would make perfect sense. Get ICS out, give Verizon time to move some Razrs and people that really want the phone can buy it, and those patient souls that say just wait will still have theres soon after the pre-order Its a win win in my book
    10-26-2011 02:19 PM
    I had already made up my mind on the Razr.. but now it realisticly looks like we wont even have a good grasp on a release date for the nexus for atleast another 2 weeks.. I highly doubt their will be no pre-order aswell.. I have no patience and my upgrade is burning to be used.. this completely seals the deal and cant wait for my Razr!

on a sidenote: is the Razr (dead forum on here, seems to be hated by the mods etc) so disliked because of the locked bootloader?

I get the impression if it wasnt a locked bootloader.. people would be defending it like their firstborn a la the nexus.

Razr vs. Nexus

Omap 4430 vs. 4460
    qHD vs. WXGA
    sealed battery vs. removable battery
    Locked vs. unlocked
    Blur vs. pure aosp
    Gingerbread vs. ICS
    Slower updates vs. Faster updates
    no NFC vs. NFC

Thats just pros. There are cons too, but thats why you see the dislike.
    10-26-2011 02:20 PM
    I had already made up my mind on the Razr.. but now it realisticly looks like we wont even have a good grasp on a release date for the nexus for atleast another 2 weeks.. I highly doubt their will be no pre-order aswell.. I have no patience and my upgrade is burning to be used.. this completely seals the deal and cant wait for my Razr!.
    I think that's pretty much a baseless claim. I would expect we'll have a better grasp of the Nexus release within a week or so. They've made a press release already....they aren't going to wait a month to even let us know a date. Pre-orders typically aren't what VZW does - it's very rare to see them do it. Enjoy your RAZR.
    10-26-2011 02:25 PM
    Razr vs. Nexus

Omap 4430 vs. 4460
    qHD vs. WXGA
    Locked vs. unlocked
    Blur vs. pure aosp
    Gingerbread vs. ICS
    no NFC vs. NFC

True.. but their are other aspects to a phone.. and neither are perfect.

This community is built of mostly devs and people trying to find solutions to issues for their phones problems.. but for the average Joe.. Signal Strength, Durability, GPS, Call Quality etc.. all outweigh the specs listed above.. and I am pretty certain the motorola has the advantage.

I do believe (and wish it did) tho, that if this phones single difference was the unlocked bootloader.. that it would have a much warmer audience around here.
    10-26-2011 02:26 PM
    I think that's pretty much a baseless claim. I would expect we'll have a better grasp of the Nexus release within a week or so. They've made a press release already....they aren't going to wait a month to even let us know a date. Pre-orders typically aren't what VZW does - it's very rare to see them do it. Enjoy your RAZR.
    At this point nothing would surprise me. Getting information about this phone has been like pulling teeth. Even the press release on Friday was weird. "Later this year..." What was the point of that? They could have said "coming soon" by stating "later this year" VZW was sowing the seeds of doubt.

The power button broke on my OG Droid yesterday so the waiting is becoming a very annoying process. I was eligible for an upgrade in July. The GS2 never came. The prime was rumored to arrive in October and here were are a few days from November and I have a broken power button and the Galaxy Nexus is coming "later this year."
    10-26-2011 02:28 PM
    Razr vs. Nexus

Omap 4430 vs. 4460
    qHD vs. WXGA
    Locked vs. unlocked
    Blur vs. pure aosp
    Gingerbread vs. ICS
    no NFC vs. NFC

Andynalyne, I could have sworn I saw you over in the thunderbolt forums claiming that aosp was boring. What gives, is it ICS?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    10-26-2011 02:31 PM
    True.. but their are other aspects to a phone.. and neither are perfect.

This community is built of mostly devs and people trying to find solutions to issues for their phones problems.. but for the average Joe.. Signal Strength, Durability, GPS, Call Quality etc.. all outweigh the specs listed above.. and I am pretty certain the motorola has the advantage.

I do believe (and wish it did) tho, that if this phones single difference was the unlocked bootloader.. that it would have a much warmer audience around here.
    I'm not saying there arent other differences, and/or cons to each. I am just saying thats what people in general see between the two.
    10-26-2011 02:34 PM

LOL!!! I have no patience either and, hate waiting but, I will. I know if I order the Razr I will just return it - just like I did the Bionic - when I start seeing the real hands-on reviews of the GN on Youtube.

When I heard of the Nexus Prime, I knew it would be between it and, the Iphone 5. There was no Iphone 5 and, I was disappointed with the 4S. The Google phone is what I've wanted all along.
    10-26-2011 02:35 PM
    Andynalyne, I could have sworn I saw you over in the thunderbolt forums claiming that aosp was boring. What gives, is it ICS?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    ICS brings the game to a whole new level.

I am very, very excited.

...and no, you didn't misquote me. But from the presentation I saw, ICS will be far from boring.
    10-26-2011 02:35 PM
    I find it strange that Verizon would possibly drop all three of these on the 10th? If thats for sure the Razr, I feel like the other two dates for the Nexus and Rezound cant be releases. I really dont want a GN delay
    10-26-2011 02:54 PM
    Razr vs. Nexus

Omap 4430 vs. 4460
    qHD vs. WXGA
    Locked vs. unlocked
    Blur vs. pure aosp
    Gingerbread vs. ICS
    no NFC vs. NFC

Wasn't the RAZR confirmed to have the 4460 as well? And you can also argue that the RAZR has the better AMOLED screen
    10-26-2011 03:30 PM
    Wasn't the RAZR confirmed to have the 4460 as well? And you can also argue that the RAZR has the better AMOLED screen
    How would you argue that exactly? Prettiness, or a bit less for battery life? Can you have a pretty display if your battery is dead?

http://pentileblog.com/tag/battery-life/

qHD vs. WXGA
    RGB vs. Pentile.

Pretty sure the WXGA completely makes up for the difference in pixel density, Pentile vs RGB.. That and Pentile is known for considerable battery savings vs RGB. I would have thought that would be a priority for Moto, being the battery cannot be extended, nor changed, plus being LTE. Guess not.

Also--Motorola has it listed on their dev site as 4430.
    MOTODEV > Products > DROID RAZR™ by Motorola, XT912
    10-26-2011 03:40 PM
    I still think that it's possible, that Verizon may ship this phone out on those rumored dates. It's possible we could see a pre-order go up on Nov. 3rd and a full release on Nov. 10, since these are the most rumored dates.

It is still my belief that Verizon will not treat the GN like their other Droid phones. I don't expect them to give the GN the red carpet treatment nor give it the marketing campaign that most Droids receive.

As I've said before, the mass public, I.E. the majority of Verizon's customers, have no idea what a Nexus phone is. My friend for example, has no desire for the GN even though I've told him all the pros about it. He wants the RAZR because it's a Droid and it's sooooo thin among other things. I feel that this will be the majority of people out there. I don't see the GN hurting or affecting RAZR sells if they launch at the same time. I highly doubt it.

So may the GN not ship by the 10th of Nov? Sure. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. Either way it's not because RAZR sells and the GN getting in the way. I think it's important to step outside of the Nexus bubble here, and consider that we techy-Nexus users are very small on the scale compared to those who would purchase the RAZR, a product that will be marketed to the masses.
    pwninobrlan and Jeff43 like this.
    10-26-2011 03:46 PM
    I am not expecting Verizon to really push the GN either. Think about it. If it is true that updates are provided by Google not Verizon, then they can't set a date to Stop sending out updates because this will be done by Google. If the phone is really unlocked as we think, then Verizon may loose some control over it. If the phone is really free or Vz apps then they can't get usage charges from some of the apps and perhaps some customers will not want it anyway....so I just think they will release it, sell what they sell, and then start working on their custom interface so that their other phones under complete control can run a their version of ICS.

GN may make a good Black Friday showing.
    10-26-2011 04:05 PM
    How would you argue that exactly? Prettiness, or a bit less for battery life? Can you have a pretty display if your battery is dead?

Battery Life | PenTile Blog

qHD vs. WXGA
    RGB vs. Pentile.

Pretty sure the WXGA completely makes up for the difference in pixel density, Pentile vs RGB.. That and Pentile is known for considerable battery savings vs RGB. I would have thought that would be a priority for Moto, being the battery cannot be extended, nor changed, plus being LTE. Guess not.

Also--Motorola has it listed on their dev site as 4430.
    MOTODEV > Products > DROID RAZR by Motorola, XT912
    I see that the MotoDev site was updated, it originally had it listed as the 4460.

All these claims mean nothing...neither of these devices or have been tested. Maybe the RAZR has great battery life so Moto opted for the upgraded screen. Maybe the Nexus had a crap battery so they went Pentile. The Super AMOLED Advance could blow away the Nexus's screen, we don't really know.

Moto was bashed for using a Pentile screen in previous devices to conserve battery life. Now they will get bashed for using a nicer screen which uses more batter? Lose/lose?
    10-26-2011 04:06 PM
    Moto was bashed by those who don't know the difference between pentile tech, and those crappy mesh looking screens they used. Hence, they blamed Pentile.

The screen door effect was not because of pentile.

SGS phones were Pentile. I never saw a screen door effect. They were also lower resolution than qHD.
    10-26-2011 04:07 PM
    Maybe the Nexus had a crap battery so they went Pentile.
    Galaxy Nexus couldn't "downgrade" to 720x1280 HD screen. The RGB Super Amoled HD technology simply isn't available today.
    If anything, they are the first to successfully produce HD 720 Super Amoled display in a 4.65" device ever.
    We all know that Super Amoled screens are by far the most beautiful panel on the market, with the contrast ratio far higher than comparable TN and IPS panels with the deepest blacks (not even emitting, hence the battery saver).

So if anything going for HD Pentile Super Amoled is besides the obvious battery saving feature, the absolute highest quality screen possible within 4.65" form factor and still preserving Super Amoled technology.
    10-26-2011 04:16 PM

Moto was bashed for using a Pentile screen in previous devices to conserve battery life. Now they will get bashed for using a nicer screen which uses more batter? Lose/lose?
    People...for ONE LAST TIME. MOTO PENTILE SCREENS USE A WHITE SUBPIXEL. That is the problem with their Pentile technology - not the fact that it includes the word "Pentile."

The forthcoming Nexus screen will have a RGBG subpixel arrangement and not a RGBW subpixel arrangement. The difference cannot be emphasized enough - it's a completely different screen.
    10-26-2011 04:20 PM
    People...for ONE LAST TIME. MOTO PENTILE SCREENS USE A WHITE SUBPIXEL. That is the problem with their Pentile technology - not the fact that it includes the word "Pentile."

The forthcoming Nexus screen will have a RGBG subpixel arrangement and not a RGBW subpixel arrangement. The difference cannot be emphasized enough - it's a completely different screen.
    but does it have electrolytes?
    10-26-2011 04:26 PM

Never did I mention the screens being the same. For the times I've used any Moto device the screen never bothered me, wasn't as "beautiful" as the SG2 screen, but got the job done. Different people prefer different types of screens and comparing phones that haven't even been released yet is impossible.

I have no preference to either of these phones...once released I will go into Verizon and compare both side by side and see which I buy.
    10-26-2011 04:32 PM
    For the times I've used any Moto device the screen never bothered me, wasn't as "beautiful" as the SG2 screen, but got the job done.
    Fair enough. I rather have something I want to look at, instead of gets the job done though.

For instance, I look at my wife, and see something beautiful. I look at my hand, and see something that will get the job done.
    10-26-2011 04:38 PM
    VZW has a tendency to "release" some phones only online. Will the GN be the next?
    This will give Moto and HTC less competition in the store.
    10-26-2011 04:41 PM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD