Droid RAZR Shipping by 11/10 -- Good sign for Nexus

JarodL

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Looks like the 11/10 date is true for the RAZR, hopefully the 11/10 date shown in those leaks holds for the Nexus.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Not sure how this is a good sign for the Nexus. The only date link that I've seen is the MAP that had the Nexus and Rezound on the 10th. Did I miss something?

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Nexus is still in testing. Rezound has been out of testing for almost a week.

I can see Nov. 10th for Rezound, but for Nexus?

I really doubt it.

Preorder at best.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
So far, what we've seen for Nov. 10 is the RAZR (via official release from Verizon), the Rezound (leaked MAP), and the Nexus (leaked MAP). I'm not liking the chances of the Nexus coming on the 3rd/10th.

alee

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
So far, what we've seen for Nov. 10 is the RAZR (via official release from Verizon), the Rezound (leaked MAP), and the Nexus (leaked MAP). I'm not liking the chances of the Nexus coming on the 3rd/10th.
I'm with you here. From a marketing perspective, with the pre-order date of the RAZR announced, it would be in their best interest to get as much traction on the RAZR as possible prior to releasing the Nexus for pre-order, or they'll cannibalize sales from each other.

Sounds like a 10th pre-order date to me.

jafels

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Im not sure why it matters if the phones cannbilize sales from one another. Verizon is only interested that you buy a phone (plan) not which phone you end up with......they win either way. Sure they win a little more if you buy the bloated phone but the contract is the real prize.

anon(525422)

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Im not sure why it matters if the phones cannbilize sales from one another. Verizon is only interested that you buy a phone (plan) not which phone you end up with......they win either way. Sure they win a little more if you buy the bloated phone but the contract is the real prize.
I doubt the issue would be the actual phone sales cannibalizing each other, so much as having two marketing campaigns cannibalizing each other. Running two marketing campaigns concurrently doesn't reduce the cost but does reduce effectiveness due to overlap/saturation of the target audience.

As you say, the contract is the real prize, so the marketing is as much (or more) about VZW brand awareness as the phone. Better to run the campaigns independently over different time frames in order to keep your brand in the forefront of people's minds over a longer period... rather than blowing everything together in one week, overloading them, then going completely silent.

So sadly I agree that this probably means the Nexus is slated for late November release. But heck, stranger things have happened, and I'd be perfectly happy if they want to drop it on 11/10 with the RAZR. :)

alee

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Verizon still has to buy and warehouse unsold phones (read about "carry costs" on unsold inventory).

The goal is to get as close to 100% sell-through on your inventory. If someone wants a phone that you don't have in your warehouse, it says you bought too much of 1 phone and not the other. If someone buys a phone and returns it in 14 days, you have reduced your inventory of each phone by 1 (one can't be sold as new, and you have to give up another phone in your inventory).

If the RAZR is out first, I would be very surprised if Verizon didn't let the early adopters ride out their 14 days before welcoming the Galaxy Nexus sales.

I see three inventory management risk scenarios Verizon faces:

1. Risk of too many returns/trades on the RAZR by releasing 2 premium phones within days of each other
2. Risk of having ordered too many RAZRs and sitting on a huge inventory that remains unsold
3. Risk of insufficient inventory of GN phones requiring more market time on the RAZR to reduce backorders on the GN

It all depends on what the forecasted and actual sales look like. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a warehouse full of GNs waiting to be put into inventory but on-hold until someone figures out how the RAZR sells.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Verizon still has to buy and warehouse unsold phones (read about "carry costs" on unsold inventory).

The goal is to get as close to 100% sell-through on your inventory. If someone wants a phone that you don't have in your warehouse, it says you bought too much of 1 phone and not the other. If someone buys a phone and returns it in 14 days, you have reduced your inventory of each phone by 1 (one can't be sold as new, and you have to give up another phone in your inventory).

If the RAZR is out first, I would be very surprised if Verizon didn't let the early adopters ride out their 14 days before welcoming the Galaxy Nexus sales.

I see three inventory management risk scenarios Verizon faces:

1. Risk of too many returns/trades on the RAZR by releasing 2 premium phones within days of each other
2. Risk of having ordered too many RAZRs and sitting on a huge inventory that remains unsold
3. Risk of insufficient inventory of GN phones requiring more market time on the RAZR to reduce backorders on the GN

It all depends on what the forecasted and actual sales look like. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a warehouse full of GNs waiting to be put into inventory but on-hold until someone figures out how the RAZR sells.

That makes a lot of sense and, unfortunately it means we may be waiting on the GN a little while longer.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if this was the real reason they postponed the reveal a week (to allow the Razr to unveil first.. i.e. - verizon pursuaded them somehow $?) .. or if it was really because of Steve Jobs' passing away.

alee

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if this was the real reason they postponed the reveal a week (to allow the Razr to unveil first.. i.e. - verizon pursuaded them somehow $?)
I wouldn't be surprised if Motorola got out their checkbook to make sure they got ahead of the GN release date. Motorola has a pretty strong relationship with Verizon.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae