(also this might be my first thread...so...yay me?)

I came over to the Android side about 6 months or so ago. In that time, I have had a Droid X and an HTC Thunderbolt, drooled over the Bionic for a spell, rooted, unrooted, and bricked (then salvaged) both the DX and TBolt. I love my TBolt. The widgets and apps are amazing and gaining more and more credibility every day, but my TBolt has the biggest flaw: battery life. I know I know, this sounds like a TBolt post, but allow me to finish.

I need a phone that can last me from 6am to 3-4pm, fairly heavy usage. I get access to chargers from time to time, and the schedule always changes. My TBolt does NOT cut it, and I want a phone that does. My question is:

Is the Galaxy Nexus that phone?

It would take an arm and leg to get it, but with birthday coming up, I'm thinking it'll be ok to treat myself. I'll have to sell the TBolt and such to afford the full retail, but it's do-able. Or maybe you think I should run a different ROM on my TBolt and I should head to those forums?

tl;dr, Sell the HTC Thunderbolt for the Galaxy Nexus or hold off?
    10-26-2011 02:52 PM
    I don't think anyone can really answer this for you.

However between ICS optimizing efficiency and the dual core CPU I can only imagine that battery life will be much better than the current 4g LTE phones out.
    xxx4rch4ng3lxxx likes this.
    10-26-2011 02:54 PM
    Yeah, I've been reading about the optimization. The prospects for this phone are really good in my eyes. I might actually have a phone I don't feel the "need" to root. And if I do, it seems like the root is straightforward and painless.
    10-26-2011 02:56 PM
    Just an idea but why not just get a extra battery for the thbolt? I would recommend getting the Nexus phone but, I'm not sure about the battery life.

I've never had issues with the battery too bad with any of my Android phones after I've recharged them a few times. When I had the Bionic, I could get through a full twelve hour day at work. I mainly just listen to music and, check emails as they come in so, I may not be using my phone like some of you. I'm also mainly on 3G inside my job because that's all the repeaters allow.

I did run low one time (to about 20%) after playing with the phone more than usual and, just put my extra battery in.
    10-26-2011 03:04 PM
    Have a spare battery. While the GN might be better it has a bigger screen, same 4g etc etc. So there is a chance it won't be much better.
    10-26-2011 03:16 PM
    I have no iside info, but with ICS optomizations and such, this phone will be your best bet hands down
    10-26-2011 03:27 PM
    You have two legitimate choices here.

1) Buy a spare battery for your current phone.

OR

2) Buy the Galaxy Nexus...And then buy a spare battery for it.

Welcome to android. It takes a lot of battery juice to pump out this much awesomeness.
    keithdroid likes this.
    10-26-2011 03:38 PM

OR

Welcome to android. It takes a lot of battery juice to pump out this much awesomeness.
    Agreed 100%
    10-26-2011 03:41 PM
    I think you'll do better with battery life on the Nexus, as HTC has the worst of all battery lives ( I believe it's Sense that kills it). But the safe bet is to wait a few days after release and see what people are getting from it.
    10-26-2011 03:47 PM
    I'm thinking very hard about the Galaxy Nexus. Like I said, it will cost an arm and a leg, so I only want to make that plunge if the community has a mostly positive view on it. Seeing the Hong Kong event and the specs and all the positive news coming from the SDK (I played with it a little myself), I think I can safely take the plunge for the GN.

Question though, would there be any upside to opening another line to get the rebate price instead? Maybe I could have upgrades more often?
    10-26-2011 04:24 PM

OR

I took option 3, I bought an external USB battery that works with ALL my phones!
    10-26-2011 05:21 PM
    I think it would be more cost efficient for you to buy the extended battery... its on sale!
    10-26-2011 05:34 PM
    I think you'll do better with battery life on the Nexus, as HTC has the worst of all battery lives ( I believe it's Sense that kills it). But the safe bet is to wait a few days after release and see what people are getting from it.
    See, my problem is I flashed CM7, and I still can't seem to get decent battery out of it. When it comes to most arguments between me and my dad (he's become an Apple fanboy), I can usually top him on anything, but then he pulls battery life argument. He's no heavy user, but even standby-wise, his iPhone 4 DESTROYS my Thunderbolt.

It appears I shall have to sell a kidney, because I believe I really want the Galaxy Nexus.
    10-26-2011 06:22 PM
    See, my problem is I flashed CM7, and I still can't seem to get decent battery out of it. When it comes to most arguments between me and my dad (he's become an Apple fanboy), I can usually top him on anything, but then he pulls battery life argument. He's no heavy user, but even standby-wise, his iPhone 4 DESTROYS my Thunderbolt.

It appears I shall have to sell a kidney, because I believe I really want the Galaxy Nexus.
    Yes, standby, the iPhone kills the Thunderbolt. However, when I had my iPhone for 3 weeks, I killed it in 5 hours every night at work, where my thunderbolt lasts me the whole night. It doesn't last when you use the device.
    10-26-2011 06:25 PM
    How can anybody answer this question for you? Think about what you're asking here, this should be based on YOUR opinion and nobody else. If you like the Nexus then sure get it, if you're content with the TB then stay on that and wait for ICS source. But this is truly a question none of us can answer for you.
    10-26-2011 07:31 PM
    Of course I will be the one to answer the question. But you never know what insightful point another individual can bring up when you put an issue to the community.

Sometimes people just need reaffirmation for the choice they already made. I just figured I'd see what you guys thought.
    10-26-2011 07:47 PM
    (also this might be my first thread...so...yay me?)

I came over to the Android side about 6 months or so ago. In that time, I have had a Droid X and an HTC Thunderbolt, drooled over the Bionic for a spell, rooted, unrooted, and bricked (then salvaged) both the DX and TBolt. I love my TBolt. The widgets and apps are amazing and gaining more and more credibility every day, but my TBolt has the biggest flaw: battery life. I know I know, this sounds like a TBolt post, but allow me to finish.

I need a phone that can last me from 6am to 3-4pm, fairly heavy usage. I get access to chargers from time to time, and the schedule always changes. My TBolt does NOT cut it, and I want a phone that does. My question is:

Is the Galaxy Nexus that phone?

It would take an arm and leg to get it, but with birthday coming up, I'm thinking it'll be ok to treat myself. I'll have to sell the TBolt and such to afford the full retail, but it's do-able. Or maybe you think I should run a different ROM on my TBolt and I should head to those forums?

tl;dr, Sell the HTC Thunderbolt for the Galaxy Nexus or hold off?

This is exactly what I said but I want to sell my bionic. My bday is also coming up and said I would treat myself to the nexus. I know random. In regards to your question I think this phone will be a lot better than the thunderbolt just because it does have a bigger battery and according to samsung is rather energy efficent. It does however have to do with a lot of factors which number one is what you use it for(ie video watching will take up alot of juice). Of course with the right settings ive heard people can run there phone with heavy usage for about twelve hours. When root becomes available you are able to make significant adjustments to your phone. I would recommend looking into a extended battery if the phone does have a removable backing. Even though this phone has been announced and specs have been released there is still a lot of questions out about it and we will get some answers as soon as its released and we get to see some hands on.
    10-26-2011 07:48 PM
    LTE first generation chipsets = large die (45nm), huge battery drainage, poor battery life.
    On top of that, there will be needed a secondary voice chipset that will maintain that 1X connection, which means even more battery drainage.
    Bottom line, you should expect a battery that's pretty much subpar on every LTE device, until Q2 2012, and once Qualcomm releases 2nd Gen LTE chipsets manufactured using 28nm process.
    That said, I advise you to enjoy your Nexus to the fullest, It's Android at it's best, get yourself a secondary battery, and be prepared for inevitable.
    10-26-2011 08:00 PM
    I intend to do just that

Also, where is that image from in your signature? I didn't think Verizon had any real notice of the GN except their little news bit.
    10-26-2011 08:38 PM
    I intend to do just that

Also, where is that image from in your signature? I didn't think Verizon had any real notice of the GN except their little news bit.
    They've just opened sign up page: Galaxy Nexus by Samsung
    10-26-2011 08:42 PM
    I will request any early upgrade (about 8 weeks early) from Verizon if its over $599 no contract.
    10-26-2011 08:52 PM
    Thanks for that. I have been religiously bouncing from androidcentral, the official nexus site, and verizon waiting for some info, but never saw that lol.
    10-26-2011 09:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD