Battery life concerns

Kaizmuth

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm bit worried about battery life with bigger screen. Anyone seen anything that addresses this with the GN?

I can usually get through a full day with light/med usage on my droid x, but worry how the much bigger screen will eat through the battery.

Any thoughts?

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking that I will wait until the phone is actually released before freaking out about things like battery life since I have no idea how well ICS manages battery.

Reactions: digitalslacker

hyperdude

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
It may be a larger screen, but it also is a Super AMOLED screen, which (from my understanding) uses less power and is generally more efficient than LCD displays (like on the DX and about 70% of the Android phones out there). Which is another reason why starting with Gingerbread, they switched to a dark UI theme - even more power-friendly.
But I'm with ultravisitor in that we should wait until the phone hits the streets for a few days/weeks before we can have an idea how the battery life is.

RattleSnake506

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I am in Europe right now and I got to play with the SGS II the global version. after using it....I am seriously concerned about the battery life..On a full battery, browsed internet for probably 1/2 hr. used navigation for 2 miles and took pictures for 1/2 a day.. (probably 100 pictures) That's it.. no more battery.. gone in 5 hrs.
I had the GPS locator ON in the camera settings.. but I doubt that will cause such battery drain.

I really hope ICS optimizes the battery usage and gets a better battery life..

This is my first move to Android and will be coming off Nokia (which has super battery life). I just hoped Nokia picked Android as their operating system but it did not happen..

I guess I will get it no matter what.. but it would be nice.. if they finally solve the battery problems on the Android.

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Bigger battery, better more energy efficient screen and ICS. The battery on this phone will be good enough to last a day with moderate use imo. But someone like me who is a heavy user will probably need an extended battery

kharrigan

Now using God's Phone
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Power will always be an issue across all smartphones. The difference between them is usually just an hour or so. The problem is that they are so useful...

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
We'll have to address that issue once we know it exists. Worse case I'll get a spare or extended battery if available.

obi5683

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Panda killed the battery in six hours using 4GB of data over LTE. For reference, he killed the Bionic in three hours with the same test. I don't know if that equates to double the battery life as the Bionic, but it definitely means more.

If you don't know who the Panda is, search for black_man_x. He is a tester with consistently reliable data.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Panda killed the battery in six hours using 4GB of data over LTE. For reference, he killed the Bionic in three hours with the same test. I don't know if that equates to double the battery life as the Bionic, but it definitely means more.

If you don't know who the Panda is, search for black_man_x. He is a tester with consistently reliable data.

standby time will be key. YMMV, but I'm interested if we will see iPhone like standby times (probably the only thing I was impressed with on the iPhone 4). To be fair, using the data, the thunderbolt is more efficient than the iPhone. But if I wasn't having a busy day on the phone, the thunderbolt could not last 1/3 of the time.

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
standby time will be key. YMMV, but I'm interested if we will see iPhone like standby times (probably the only thing I was impressed with on the iPhone 4). To be fair, using the data, the thunderbolt is more efficient than the iPhone. But if I wasn't having a busy day on the phone, the thunderbolt could not last 1/3 of the time.

I wouldn't compare any LTE smartphone with iPhone. Ever.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't compare any LTE smartphone with iPhone. Ever.

Just saying... it was slow in almost every aspect. I only lasted 3 weeks... and had I known I could have returned it within 14 days, I would have gladly paid the restocking fee before 2 weeks (it would have been the 2nd phone I returned).

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Do we know for sure the capacity (in mAH) of the battery, yet? I've heard rumors that range from 1750-2050, but I've never seen anything listed in any of the "official spec releases".

Personally, as a light-to-moderate user, I've actually been able to get my 1400 mAH Thunderbolt battery to last a decent amount, what with a combination of Juice Defender, and the Gingerbread OTA. It's not as good as I wish it could be, but it's better than it was when I first got the phone.

So, as long as the Nexus has at least a 1750 mAH battery, I think I'll be good. I'm just curious to know what size it actually is, exactly.

revickulous2001

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Do we know for sure the capacity (in mAH) of the battery, yet? I've heard rumors that range from 1750-2050, but I've never seen anything listed in any of the "official spec releases".

Personally, as a light-to-moderate user, I've actually been able to get my 1400 mAH Thunderbolt battery to last a decent amount, what with a combination of Juice Defender, and the Gingerbread OTA. It's not as good as I wish it could be, but it's better than it was when I first got the phone.

So, as long as the Nexus has at least a 1750 mAH battery, I think I'll be good. I'm just curious to know what size it actually is, exactly.

The version of the phone that has been used for the hands-on testing is sporting a 1750 mAh battery.

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
My 14 days with the Bionic never gave me the battery life I wanted. I tried 4G LTE switch, the extended battery and turning off blue tooth & GPS. In the end I think something needed to be fixed in power management because my "Cell Standby" was always 50% of my usage. I have a good feeling that the Nexus will do much better in this area. It seemed that half the Bionic users were trying convince themselves that the battery life was good or great and the other half would say that no LTE smart phone will have good battery life until batteries improve. I wasn't buying it and sent it back, now I will soon find out who is right. I also thick ICS should help the Bionic but there will still be some power issues

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
It seemed that half the Bionic users were trying convince themselves that the battery life was good or great and the other half would say that no LTE smart phone will have good battery life until batteries improve. I wasn't buying it and sent it back, now I will soon find out who is right. I also thick ICS should help the Bionic but there will still be some power issues
No LTE smartphones have stellar battery life not because we should wait for battery tech to improve, it's until LTE chipsets transition to 28nm manufacturing process and become less power hungry. Right now they're made using 45nm technology, and it's not necessarily optimized for handsets or voice, therefore there is always that secondary 1X voice radio chip which further drains the battery.
The good news is Qualcomm, the biggest baseband manufacturer is expected to start production of their 2nd generation LTE chipsets sometimes during Q2 2012 using way more optimized and less power hungry 28nm chips.
The battery technology hasn't progressed for decades, and waiting for battery to improve could be a very long and frustrating time...

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Just noticed this

Galaxy Nexus hands-on video - YouTube

Pause at 1:51. The phone is been on the battery for 2 hour 30 minute and the life is at 20 percent. The battery consumption was used by the screen and more importantly standby which does not indicate heavy usage....

Just something I noticed....

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
You may or may not have a point. We do not know the status of the charge when it was unplugged from the charger and started on battery.