Battery life concerns

mysterx

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Well, if you play the video backwards...I'm pretty sure you can see that creepy ghost from Three Men and a Baby in the background!

-me

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
You may or may not have a point. We do not know the status of the charge when it was unplugged from the charger and started on battery.

Looking at the status bar that had at least an 85% charge....likely more if not 100% at the beginning of that 2 hours and 30 minutes. When charging the timer on battery stops. I believe its reset at 100% right? So 2 hour 30 minute started at 100% charge...

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Well, if you play the video backwards...I'm pretty sure you can see that creepy ghost from Three Men and a Baby in the background!

-me

Lol, anticipation is killing me waiting for this phone. I've been watching all these hands on in slow mo lol...

sneakking

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Looking at the status bar that had at least an 85% charge....likely more if not 100% at the beginning of that 2 hours and 30 minutes. When charging the timer on battery stops. I believe its reset at 100% right? So 2 hour 30 minute started at 100% charge...

every time you plug in the device the clock resets i believe

i have not watched the video, but it's possible that it was plugged in, charged to say 60% and then unplugged

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site

i have not watched the video, but it's possible that it was plugged in, charged to say 60% and then unplugged

No. This is the same as Honeycomb. When plugged in the battery timer stops, resets at 100% where the timer goes away.

You can see the graph if its 20% at the end it had to be near 100% at the beginning because its 5x taller...

mjforte

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site

Ever since Gingerbread I believe the battery stats don't reset until you reach 100%. At least that's been my experience.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
according to people on androidforums the battery was originally spec'd at 1780 mah, and has since been changed to an 1850 mah battery

borgey401

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm bit worried about battery life with bigger screen. Anyone seen anything that addresses this with the GN?

I can usually get through a full day with light/med usage on my droid x, but worry how the much bigger screen will eat through the battery.

Any thoughts?

With ANY LTE device you're not going to get supreme battery life at the moment. I have heard that battery life on the Nexus is no worse than any other LTE device out on VZW. I can make it around 7-8 hours with moderate use on my Tbolt. But I will admit I do carry a usb cable in my backpack when I go to school, so I can just plug it into a computer when I'm in class. I would not worry about it too much, worst comes to worst you can buy an extended battery or if you don't like the size of that just buy another OEM battery and keep one charged at all times. Problem solved :) that's most likely what I will do if there is a need to. But I would not let battery life steer you away from this phone since like I previously said all LTE devices don't get supreme battery life.

I am also pretty sure that the LTE version has a bigger battery than the GSM version. Not too sure if you're going to get the VZW version but from the previous device you're speaking of I would think you are.

borgey401

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
No LTE smartphones have stellar battery life not because we should wait for battery tech to improve, it's until LTE chipsets transition to 28nm manufacturing process and become less power hungry. Right now they're made using 45nm technology, and it's not necessarily optimized for handsets or voice, therefore there is always that secondary 1X voice radio chip which further drains the battery.
The good news is Qualcomm, the biggest baseband manufacturer is expected to start production of their 2nd generation LTE chipsets sometimes during Q2 2012 using way more optimized and less power hungry 28nm chips.
The battery technology hasn't progressed for decades, and waiting for battery to improve could be a very long and frustrating time...

This person has nailed it. You can't get any better of an answer without going into a lot of detail. Hopefully we will start seeing battery technology advance but I will not hold my breath. LTE chips are the issue at hand at the moment. I think we will see 2nd generation LTE chips before we see any advance in battery technology.

FunktasticLucky

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I think this is why RIM and Apple have been passing on LTE for the moment. They have been waiting for quallcomm's radio chip so that they can keep decent battery life. I'm about ready to jump ship from my BB for this phone if the battery life is decent. I have never had problems getting a full day's worth of heavy usage out of my BB. If I get this phone I know I'll probably just have to buy a second battery and keep it with me. But all the things I've read about LTE phones I don't even know if a 2nd battery would be enough. I'll be keeping my eye on this one after it releases.

pjsockett

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Just noticed this

Pause at 1:51. The phone is been on the battery for 2 hour 30 minute and the life is at 20 percent. The battery consumption was used by the screen and more importantly standby which does not indicate heavy usage....

Just something I noticed....
Now I don't have the phone so I can't say for sure if ICS is different, but with my Droid X on gingerbread if I'm at 40% and charge for 15 minutes it will show on battery for 0sec immediately when taken off of the charger. The chart itself only starts over when the phone is turned on or reaches 100% charge. If ICS is the same, then the battery chart in no way matches the 2hr 30min time frame. The graph goes up in several points which could only happen if the phone was charged. The last period where the graph went up is actually very small.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Now I don't have the phone so I can't say for sure if ICS is different, but with my Droid X on gingerbread if I'm at 40% and charge for 15 minutes it will show on battery for 0sec immediately when taken off of the charger. The chart itself only starts over when the phone is turned on or reaches 100% charge. If ICS is the same, then the battery chart in no way matches the 2hr 30min time frame. The graph goes up in several points which could only happen if the phone was charged. The last period where the graph went up is actually very small.

True. I'm starting to notice this too. The Xoom charges too fast to say for certain but I charged from 60 to 80 last night and it didn't reset the battery timer. I let it charge to 95% and it reset. I don't know the exactly how that works. We'll find out for sure in a couple weeks...

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Google didn't mention battery life at all in their keynote. Didn't say if either Nexus or ICS was optimized for it. The ICS developer page also has no mention of it - that to me is not a good sign at all.

If ICS has any work done to optimize battery life, I'm sure they would talk about it.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah.. I'm thinking stock up on the batteries or have an outlet near haha.

From the reviews I'm reading it appears the Razr is doing pretty well with battery life and it is has a SLIGHTLY bigger battery then the GSM GN (which is rumored to get a larger battery with LTE). Motorola claims its app "smart actions" saves up to 30% battery though.

Regardless it might not be THAT bad. Plus if you get an app like smart actions (tasker) it maybe even better.

Only time will tell but at least we have the option to carry around an extra battery. Sure its a pita and defeats the portability of a thin phone its still nice to have that option....My solution is, 3 wall chargers leaving two at friends houses and 3 car chargers for my and my gfs cars. That way I don't need to carry anything with me....maybe an extra battery to just to have for an all day outing.....

In reality battery life is low on my priority list anymore after years of dealing with this crap....

I can tell you the better signal strength you have the better battery life (in use) you get and Motorola has an edge on that historical speaking.

FunktasticLucky

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
yeah. I work 13 hours a day on a flightline... I don't have access to charge in the middle of the day. We'll just have to wait and see. Call Quality, battery life, and messaging is the key things I need in a phone... and I really would hate to get rid of my BBM :/

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
yeah. I work 13 hours a day on a flightline... I don't have access to charge in the middle of the day. We'll just have to wait and see. Call Quality, battery life, and messaging is the key things I need in a phone... and I really would hate to get rid of my BBM :/

Isn't their a similar alternative to bbm on android? I thought I read something awhile back about it.

HES

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I think I've stated before, but I am in a similar situation to yours. It's frustrating when concerns about battery life are so many times answered with "Well just have a charger at your desk". Is 18 hours of battery life too much to ask?

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I think I've stated before, but I am in a similar situation to yours. It's frustrating when concerns about battery life are so many times answered with "Well just have a charger at your desk". Is 18 hours of battery life too much to ask?

With current LTE data, yes. BB was late to the game for 3G on CDMA carriers. I had dumn phones with EVDO rev.A and my parents just got rid of their BB curves with Rev.0. Their browser has suffered until recently due to it.

There are plenty of things you can do to get 18 hours. How important is push notifications to you? Just about every app allows you to set how often it searches for updates. Do you need your screen bright enough to burn a hole into your retinas all the time? Set it to automatic brightness or turn it down manually. Set your phone to CDMA instead of LTE if you don't need it at the time. For extreme, turn data off entirely unti you need it. Should get you a few days on that setting.

To be honest, I got almost 4 days on my Samsung Epic without any of those changes. I switched carriers, but hadn't cancelled my service with Sprint yet. I had an airave, provided excellent signal in my apartment which before that was a big battery drain and annoying as hell when I missed calls/couldn't send texts. Another contributing factor was a battery saving kernel. Undervolted but not overclocked helped drastically as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance