10-29-2011 11:28 AM
43 12
tools
    ATTENTION: Samsung, Google, and carriers. Please listen up. We are tired of waiting.

Samsung dissed the U.S. by releasing the SGS2 everywhere on the planet except here. We got 7 month old technology. Gee thanks. Did they compensate with special perks? No, except the better model available for T-Mobile (in stinkin' October!), and a 4.5 inch screen for Sprint.
    But then the Galaxy Nexus was rumored. We waited for news, but should we wait again? Should we wait when T-Mobile's SGS2, in some ways superior, is available now?

Honestly, most of us who know what's going on are somewhat disappointed in the Galaxy Nexus.
    1. It does not have a changeable SD card. (We could care less about the last Nexus precedent.)
    2. It has only a 1.2 dual core when it should have a 1.5 by now.
    3. It does not really have a 4.65 screen. 95+% of actual usage time, it's only like 4.3 because of the control buttons.
    4. It is not super Amoled Plus. Not a major factor since it has an impressively higher resolution, but I'm just saying . . .
    5. It does not have gorilla glass. Bummer. Go check out the SGS2 drop test compared to iPhone 4s. Yes it does matter.
    6. It only has a 5 megapixel camera. 5 is plenty, and megapixels aren't everything, but it could've had 8. (Why did you cut so many corners, you make a fortune on these phones?)
    7. Okay it has ICS. Well, unless you've been lying to us about android OS being upgradable, the SGS2 will get ICS.
    8. It is grossly overpriced, if the rumors are correct. This phone is not worth $300. on contract.
    9. How many programs are optimized for ICS? Not many, especially before SGS2 gets ICS.
    10 Same old battery size. It should have been at least 2000.

Like many people, I kind of love the Galaxy Nexus, but I'm disappointed. I can't believe that Google and Samsung were so stupid as to not give us a super phone. Morons -- you could have cornered the whole market, and been the praise of the world. Not going to happen now.

Will we wait for a November release? Yes, to check it out.
    Will we wait past Christmas? Absolutely not! We want this phone before the holidays on major carriers (not just Verizon), so put your boys on overtime. Plus Verizon's rates are too high.

Finally, the T-Mobile version of the SGS2 is actually a better phone. Slap ICS on it and this is a deal changer. Surprisingly, the ONLY real advantage for the Nexus is a q HD screen, really! Does that compensate for what it's missing?
    Someone said that the lack of gorilla glass on the Galaxy Nexus was not a dealbreaker. True, but on top of everything else it becomes one. T-Mobile's SGS2 has a true 4.5 inch display, 50% more sub pixels with Super Amoled plus, SD card upgradability, a 1.5 GHz processor, an 8 megapixel camera, all the programming flexibility I actually need, and has a price tag that's $100 less than the Nexus!! Hello. I think I'll switch carriers.

My contract with AT&T is up for renewal. I've been painfully waiting since last March to ditch my iPhone with this icave OS. I have researched Android, its programs and its phones. It is vastly superior. But I am sick and tired of waiting. I WILL have a new phone in my hand by Christmas. And I think thousands of people feel the same way I do. We will not wait on you again. Don't expect great sales on a late galaxy Nexus, it's not that hot.
    10-27-2011 09:14 AM
    So much angst.....
    10-27-2011 09:18 AM
    Yeah, sorry.
    But you would have angst too if you had been putting up with an iPhone and icave OS for the last 7 months waiting for SGS2, searching the net for news, then waiting for galaxy Nexus. I'm sooo tired of waiting.
    10-27-2011 09:26 AM
    1. How much do you really need to store on your phone now that Google music exists
    2. What do you need 1.5ghz for? When will you notice the difference?
    3. Huh? The software buttons are part of the screen. They go away when watching movies.
    5. It has another brand of fortified glass.
    6. Have you seen the instant shutter? I'd take that and a nice sensor over more mp any day.
    8. Wait for an official price. I don't see how 300 is overpriced.
    9. ???? How is this a problem with the Nexus

Long story short. Don't speak for me, I am not disappointed in this device at all, and I have been following these rumors since they started.
    10-27-2011 09:26 AM
    Oh look, it's this thread again. Everyone's a critic.
    digitalslacker and cizzlen like this.
    10-27-2011 09:27 AM
    Honestly, most of us who know what's going on are somewhat disappointed in the Galaxy Nexus.

1. It does not have a changeable SD card. (We could care less about the last Nexus precedent.)
    3. It does not really have a 4.65 screen. 95+% of actual usage time, it's only like 4.3 because of the control buttons.
    4. It is not super Amoled Plus. Not a major factor since it has an impressively higher resolution, but I'm just saying . . .
    5. It does not have gorilla glass. Bummer. Go check out the SGS2 drop test compared to iPhone 4s. Yes it does matter.
    6. It only has a 5 megapixel camera. 5 is plenty, and megapixels aren't everything, but it could've had 8. (Why did you cut so many corners, you make a fortune on these phones?)
    7. Okay it has ICS. Well, unless you've been lying to us about android OS being upgradable, the SGS2 will get ICS.
    8. It is grossly overpriced, if the rumors are correct. This phone is not worth $300. on contract.
    9. How many programs are optimized for ICS? Not many, especially before SGS2 gets ICS.
    Bro, your 1-10 is some of the worst whining I've seen on this forum.
    Please don't buy this phone, find your favorite new phone, and save us from whining like right now... Only your #1 whine can be for some a valid issue, all the other 9s are simply a spam.
    10-27-2011 09:30 AM
    I'm sure there will be a lot of apps optimized by the time the US variants get updated. Samsung has the worst track record of updating their phones in the US. The Galaxy Nexus being a google phone gives it a huge advantage since Samsung can't screw up the software.
    10-27-2011 09:31 AM
    Yeah, sorry.
    But you would have angst too if you had been putting up with an iPhone and icave OS for the last 7 months waiting for SGS2, searching the net for news, then waiting for galaxy Nexus. I'm sooo tired of waiting.
    Ive been using an HTC ozone windows 6.5 phone.....Would love an iphone at this point
    Vanilla Ice likes this.
    10-27-2011 09:32 AM
    1) Perhaps an issue for some. I keep much of my data (music) in the cloud. If indeed the Verizon comes with 32GB internally, that should be for me.
    2) Red Herring. Complaining about a CPU that hasn't even hit the market yet seems absurd. We all know it's underclocked, so up it to 1.5 when you get it.
    3) Actually, it really does have a 4.65" screen. 94% of statistics are made up on the fly.
    4) As you said, it's not an issue, yet you listed it in the top 10. I'm guessing you're not even sure why you listed it.
    5) They've said it doesn't have GG, but it does have another type of reenforced glass. Does the Corning brand mean that much to you?
    6) As you said, megapixels aren't anything. Are you planning on printing posters with a camera phone pic? If that quick picture taking ability is due to having to cut down on MP, I'll take that 100 times out of 100 over a slower camera with more MP.
    7) As you said, it's a positive that it has ICS.
    8) Not sure what you're basing "grossly overpriced" on. $299 is pretty standard for a 4G dual core phone. I guess it should be cheaper than the others?
    9) Who cares? They'll come. Want to know how many programs were 'optimized' for Android 2.0 when the OG Droid came out? Practically none, but it was still a great device, even at launch and I had very few problems with app compatibility. These sorts of issues are what you accept as an early adopter.
    10) Same old battery size as what? It's larger than any other 4G phone on the market AFAIK. Again, you're complaining about something that hasn't been tested, and is still better than nearly everything out there.

Like many people, I kind of love the Galaxy Nexus, but I'm disappointed. I can't believe that Google and Samsung were so stupid as to not give us a super phone. Morons -- you could have cornered the whole market, and been the praise of the world. Not going to happen now.

Will we wait for a November release? Yes, to check it out.
    Will we wait past Christmas? Absolutely not! We want this phone before the holidays on major carriers (not just Verizon), so put your boys on overtime. Plus Verizon's rates are too high.

Finally, the T-Mobile version of the SGS2 is actually a better phone. Slap ICS on it and this is a deal changer. Surprisingly, the ONLY real advantage for the Nexus is a q HD screen, really! Does that compensate for what it's missing?
    Someone said that the lack of gorilla glass on the Galaxy Nexus was not a dealbreaker. True, but on top of everything else it becomes one. T-Mobile's SGS2 has a true 4.5 inch display, 50% more sub pixels with Super Amoled plus, SD card upgradability, a 1.5 GHz processor, an 8 megapixel camera, all the programming flexibility I actually need, and has a price tag that's $100 less than the Nexus!! Hello. I think I'll switch carriers.

My contract with AT&T is up for renewal. I've been painfully waiting since last March to ditch my iPhone with this icave OS. I have researched Android, its programs and its phones. It is vastly superior. But I am sick and tired of waiting. I WILL have a new phone in my hand by Christmas. And I think thousands of people feel the same way I do. We will not wait on you again. Don't expect great sales on a late galaxy Nexus, it's not that hot.
    The SGS2 has a 1.5Ghz S3 Snapdragon - not exactly cutting edge. I'll take the OMAP 4460 @1.2ghz (easily clocked to it's native 1.5ghz too!), thanks. The display is lower res, so I'll take the GN's higer res display as well. On top of those, I'll also take the LTE and non-Samsung molested OS as well.

Enjoy your SGS2, I'll be enjoying the GN. To each their own, right?
    Professor777 likes this.
    10-27-2011 09:33 AM
    im confused.... you have an iphone you should be used to sub par hardware with an amazing OS overlay by now. The Nexus suites you PERFECTLY.
    sneakking and obi5683 like this.
    10-27-2011 09:39 AM
    As someone who most definitely has followed this in depth, I don't think you should speak for "most of us".

Agreed, some people are upset about this. As long as it has enough internal storage (e.g. 32gb or more) most people don't really care. And while I personally like removable storage, 30 million iPhone's a year show that most customers don't share this concern.

It HAS a 1.5 ghx dual core - the 4460 is made to clock natively at 1.5ghz. They have intentionally underclocked it for much the same reason Apple underclocks the A5 in the iPhone - the change in battery life is more important to overall performance than the bump in speed (since the interface now relies more on the GPU, there will be absolutely no impact on general UI interaction)

Having a 1.2ghz core is a feature, not a bug!

Um, again, that's a feature, not a bug. Most people don't want a phone that's almost as large as the Dell Streak. By implementing the screen the way they have the handset is basically the same size as the Droid X, but it gives you extra screen space when you really need it, like when you are watching a video.

Not only isn't it a factor, but it uses less energy and keeps the overall cost down (it's still hard to produce pixel densities that high without using PenTile).

It still uses reinforced glass, just not the Gorilla Glass brand. The Nexus S (also with a curved screen) does not use Gorilla Glass and it seems to hold up just fine. This isn't a binary choice (either use Gorilla Glass or shatter like the iPhone 4), there are several competing reinforced glass choices.

They went with 5 because it meant shorter write times, and therefore less lag between shots. The phone can outshoot the iPhone4s in terms of speed, and since there's not practical need for those extra 3mp, it's once again a feature, not a bug.

Yes, but it will have TouchWiz on it, and it could be months down the road, and it will still have bloat all over it. The Nexus will not, which for most people is a huge feature.

All Verizon LTE smartphones these days are priced at $299. I don't disagree with you that it's overpriced, but that price isn't indicative of what other carriers will sell it at (once they get it) and it's not somehow unique to the GNex, it's just Verizon trying to pad their bottom line off of everyone.

9. How many programs are/will be optimized for ICS? Not many, especially before SGS2 gets ICS.
    Huh? All of the core ones will be, and developers have had access to some of the tools to prepare for ICS for over a month now. The top tier apps will be ready to go (if they aren't already) in no time.

Physics doesn't work that way. You can't get a stylish, thin, NFC-enabled phone with a battery that large. Well, you maybe could with a sealed battery, but then people would just add that to their list of complaints. Since it's removable you can at least get an extended battery for it at some point.

The thing is, exclusives are marketed more. This is actually an opportunity for the Nexus brand, although I can understand why it would be frustrating to those on other carriers. I would guess you will indeed have to wait until after the holidays, but I've been wrong before. On the up shot, you'll almost certainly only have to pay $199 on contract, so you have that to be happy about.

The Nexus also has NFC and a much better camera (don't let the megapixels fool you). And it will be stock ICS without carrier bloat, not some amalgamation of carrier and Samsung meddling on top of Android.

That's understandable. And to be honest, I hope it gets on all U.S. carriers sooner rather than later. But remember that specs don't tell the full story - how well integrated the UI is with the hardware is a much better predictor of how happy people are with their phones, and for that reason the Galaxy Nexus will probably be the hottest Android phone on the market.
    Mooem, Averix, sneakking and 4 others like this.
    10-27-2011 09:42 AM
    Yes, but it will have TouchWiz on it, and it could be months down the road, and it will still have bloat all over it. The Nexus will not, which for most people is a huge feature.
    Money quote, right there...

Removable battery is a winner, too, IMO.
    Stang68 likes this.
    10-27-2011 09:51 AM
    This might be my first post (I can't remember), but man this person sounds like a whiner. I should have stopped reading when he said, "We could care less about the last Nexus precedent."

I, for one, am really excited about this phone. I think most of these people complaining on here were looking for any reason to complain no matter what the specs/release date were.
    10-27-2011 09:51 AM
    The SGS 2 on T-mobile is a nice phone but, nothing can change my mind about the Galaxy nexus now.
    jokeefe10 likes this.
    10-27-2011 09:58 AM
    This phone isn't for you then. Wait a little longer and you may actually get something that will fit your needs.
    milkshed27 and qnet like this.
    10-27-2011 10:07 AM
    And still can't flip to fit in your pocket easily
    10-27-2011 10:07 AM
    Good grief...
    10-27-2011 10:08 AM
    Hey guys, I'm not the enemy, just being honest.
    @Ottscay
    Thanks for the excellent reply.

I understand your points, and they are well taken. At least you objectively looked at my post and not simply reacted negatively like some mother whose baby just got insulted.

My points are not whining, nor are they spam, they are observations. I don't take a fan boy approach anything.

As a matter of fact, a year or so from now, new smart phones will address all the 10 points I brought out, so denouncing them is not exactly a wise strategy either.

As I said, I love the galaxy Nexus, it's just not all I hoped it would be. I think if people were more honest they would concur that some of the points in my list of 10 were disappointments to them as well, even if it will not prevent them from buying the phone. I may get one myself, but certainly not with Verizon.

As far as bloatware goes, Samsung's latest TouchWiz is not all that bad. And if you don't like it you can always change launchers.

All I'm saying is that most of the technology, with the exception of super Amoled plus in HD, are currently available and could've been on this phone. I do prefer the better quality five megapixel camera over that of the SGS2. There are also replacement batteries for the SGS2, same size, 2000 mA hours available now.

My intent is to encourage the carriers to get the phone to us ASAP, and not cut corners when coming out with such important flagship phones.

As far as ICS is concerned, I love it. But I'm not going to say that its programs will all be wonderful out-of-the-box, because I know new operating systems never work that way for any company. I do have great hope for it though, and hopefully all new android phones will be utilizing it in the next few years.
    10-27-2011 10:24 AM
    Unlike you I'm glad no one has a gun to my head forcing me to buy it....sheesh
    10-27-2011 10:24 AM
    Attention OP, this is Samsung. Thanks to your rant the GN is now pushed back till Christmas. Thanks
    mclarryjr likes this.
    10-27-2011 10:25 AM
    When its released go to the store pick up the Nexus, pick up the SG2, pick up the RAZR (or whatever else you want)...play around with them for a bit and buy which you like. No one can decide for you
    10-27-2011 10:47 AM
    Thanks el8. Good reply. RE your:
    1. OK, BUT, it is still better to have removable SD than not to.
    2. Yes, we know it is overclockable, but making it 1.5 out of the gate would've been better. And it will be compared with future phones as 1.2.
    3. It doesn't matter if 94% of statistics are made on the fly, the vast majority of practical usage time will only render approximately a 4.3 to 4.5 inch display because the buttons - which I like- are there. I don't usually watch movies on my cell phone.
    4. Come on now, to have super Amoled plus and HD is preferable. The SGS 3will probably have it next summer.
    5. Of course it has some other kind of reinforced glass. But why do so many manufacturers, including Samsung, preferr gorilla glass for top-end products? This is simply cutting costs.
    6. I prefer the camera on the galaxy Nexus, as I said. But if the phone is so fast, why couldn't it have eight megapixel and fast shutter speed?
    8. There's no reason it has to cost half as much again as an SGS2 ($200 compared to $300 on contract).
    10. Replacement batteries rated at 2000 are already available for the SGS2, no reason they couldn't have put one in this phone.

As I stated in another post, features I listed in these 10 points, will most likely be included in next generation smart phones, so to identify them as irrelevant does not make much sense. Not that you are, but some people here are doing so.

My intention is to encourage manufacturers to give us the best product possible, and to get them to us as soon as possible, not to build in delays.

You can also be sure that many people, possibly millions, will be buying new phones this Christmas. To come out with the galaxy Nexus on other carriers before the holidays is just plain smart. To do it later is just plain stupid. That's my point. And I make it because I want the phone. I'm on AT&T, but I will get an SGS2 before Christmas rather than wait for the Nexus after Christmas.
    Yeah, I want it, but that doesn't mean I'm not a bit disappointed in it.
    10-27-2011 10:53 AM
    I want to know how the OP knows what the battery size is, rumors aside?

By, uh, pre-production units, which are now obsolete?

How does the OP know there is even a SAMOLED+ screen in existence that is suitable for WXGA?

How come the original poster isn't whning about the RAZR which not only runs at the same mhz, but an older CPU/slower GPU?
    10-27-2011 11:10 AM
    ATTENTION: Samsung, Google, and carriers. Please listen up. We are tired of waiting.

Honestly, most of us who know what's going on, are pretty happy with and optimized software/hardware.

And those that don't know what is going on, are whinning about GG or 1.2gh instead of 1.5 or no SD Card or no 8mp camera!
    10-27-2011 11:19 AM
    1. OK ok
    2. Yes, we know it is overclockable, but making it 1.5 out of the gate would've been better. And it will be compared with future phones as 1.2. hahaha, so what? are you taking it out to the playground for a pissing match? it will be easy to clock it to 1.5
    3. It doesn't matter if 94% of statistics are made on the fly, the vast majority of practical usage time will only render approximately a 4.3 to 4.5 inch display because the buttons - which I like- are there. I don't usually watch movies on my cell phone. so what? the screen is 'only' 4.3" then?
    4. Come on now, to have super Amoled plus and HD is preferable. The SGS 3will probably have it next summer. key words: next summer
    5. Of course it has some other kind of reinforced glass. But why do so many manufacturers, including Samsung, preferr gorilla glass for top-end products? This is simply cutting costs. do you know the glass won't be good, would you prefer to potentially pay 399 plus contract?
    6. I prefer the camera on the galaxy Nexus, as I said. But if the phone is so fast, why couldn't it have eight megapixel and fast shutter speed? write speeds
    8. There's no reason it has to cost half as much again as an SGS2 ($200 compared to $300 on contract).the SGS2 is 4g?
    10. Replacement batteries rated at 2000 are already available for the SGS2, no reason they couldn't have put one in this phone. good thing you have access to the battery on this phone

As I stated in another post, features I listed in these 10 points, will most likely be included in next generation smart phones, so to identify them as irrelevant does not make much sense. Not that you are, but some people here are doing so. buy another phone, wait for another phone, cry me a river, who cares?

My intention is to encourage manufacturers to give us the best product possible, and to get them to us as soon as possible, not to build in delays. do you understand the concept of limited space in a device that needs to be a certain size? do you understand the concept of putting in components that will work in unison and not just sledgehammering the "best" components in?

edit: it's funny how you complain about potential cost cutting measures and then a couple complaints later complain that it costs too much....which is it?
    10-27-2011 11:20 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD