Do you guys think that the lack of menu button and use of the Action Bar is going to translate just fine to most or all apps that are designed for not ICS? I'm kind of worried that apps may need to be rewritten or maybe edited to include an Action Bar or virtual Menu button. I believe Google is smart enough to think of these things but sometimes you never know. What do you guys think?
    10-27-2011 07:26 PM
    I have some of the same concern. Especially since a friend of mine who is testing it told me not all applications work. That was a couple software builds ago though.
    10-27-2011 07:58 PM
    There's a video somewhere with someone playing with current apps on ICS. Another on screen button pops up to the right of the running apps button. Looks like an "i".
    10-27-2011 08:50 PM
    Where the on screen buttons are, to the right of the multitasking button, there will be a menu icon (four three vertical little squares) that come up when a menu button is needed. Hopefully more developers update their apps to the ICS SDK and we don't have to worry about it as much.
    10-27-2011 09:33 PM
    Wow, I have to say this is probably the ONLY legit reasonable concern I have seen posted on this forum about the Galaxy Nexus. But, yeah I was thinking about this a little myself the other day. I am willing to bet that since the SDK was released a good amount of time before the phone actually comes out that developers will update their apps. After all they want people to keep using them I would imagine.
    10-27-2011 09:40 PM
    Where the on screen buttons are, to the right of the multitasking button, there will be a menu icon (four vertical little squares) that come up when a menu button is needed. Hopefully more developers update their apps to the ICS SDK and we don't have to worry about it as much.
    Ah ha.. any screenshot? I was wondering about this for a long time now.
    10-27-2011 10:27 PM
    Nabbed this from the Greek hands-on video. Shows the vertical dots right alongside the main buttons

A very nice implementation for handling 'legacy' apps I must say
    10-27-2011 11:44 PM
    I had all the same concerns while waiting for the Xoom to launch - app compatibility, no menu button, etc. In the end, the menu button was a non-issue - if there's a menu available, there is also a menu button available. Never once have I wished for a menu button that wasnt' there. There were a few incompatible apps at first, but remarkably few - I had issues with maybe two or three of the almost 100 apps on my device. That's saying a lot, as HC was a big leap from Froyo/GB. The devs got on top of it quickly. I'll bet they're even quicker for ICS, since it will be on a LOT of devices in a fairly short period of time, and the SDK is out already so they are likely working on it now.
    10-28-2011 07:14 AM
    The menu button appearing in the action bar works fine on honeycomb. And do u guys have a link to the ICS video with the pop up menu button?

sent from my Droid X, which also eats iPhones.
    10-28-2011 07:41 AM
    It will know there is an activated menu button and put it on screen. So when your menu button has no function now it just won't be displayed. My source for this info is Honeycomb, and it works just fine. While apps might not work (very few) I've never had an issue with the on screen buttons. And really the only problem with apps on Hineycomb is the screen size not stretching properly.

I think this will be a"fairly" seamless transfer to ICS on a phone. And not too much difference on tablets. Once new apps are written in ICS both tablet and phone should work amazingly.
    10-28-2011 03:13 PM
    I have a very distinct feeling that we won't want to use applications not designed for ICS.
    10-28-2011 03:16 PM
    I have a very distinct feeling that we won't want to use applications not designed for ICS.
    Yea. Lol

The only good thing about the Galaxy Nexus not arriving right away is it gives developers time to update their apps to support the GN ad ICS. Because of some apps are messed up, I wouldn't want to deal with incompatible apps and so on of I was first getting a device.
    10-28-2011 03:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD