Nexus, ICS & Google Search Bar

Friend-O

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Is it true that the Google search bar is located at the top of every ICS home screen and can't be removed (as in, it's not simply a widget)? That's what I've heard and the videos I've seen certainly appear to indicate that. If so, that's really annoying. I rarely ever use the search function and don't want it cluttering ONE home screen, never mind all of them. I'd rather have the extra screen real estate to do what I want with.

xAGx#AC

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
The homescreens still have a 4x4 space for widgets and icons I believe. I don't really use the search bar either, but I may start now. I also think its transparent enough to not really get in the way.

ADOLFOHERNANDEZ

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
That would not be a real trouble for me, as long as the hardware issues and lacks could be resolved once and forever! ;)

Sent from my rooted GT-P1010

Last edited:

Friend-O

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Oh, don't get me wrong, it's far from a deal-breaker considering all of the strengths this phone has. I was just really surprised when I learned this and had to find SOMETHING to complain about...otherwise, the phone would be perfect and we can't have that, now can we? :p

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Yea, I can see the annoyance, but I think it looks nice and should help the average user more. I don't mind it one bit. :)

infernalman7

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
It's far from a deal-breaker, true. But Android has been standing for its flexibility and customization.

Hence why CM8 might be the answer.

dustinb

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I wonder how Replacement Launchers will handle it. I imagine you'll just have that extra screen real estate. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

hyperdude

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
It's far from a deal-breaker, true. But Android has been standing for its flexibility and customization.

Hence why CM8 might be the answer.
CM9, actually - CM8 never happened as far as the CyanogenMod team is concerned. ;)

dustinb said:
I wonder how Replacement Launchers will handle it. I imagine you'll just have that extra screen real estate. At least that's what I'm hoping for.
I can't think of a reason why third-party launchers would have the perpetual search bar overlay. At least I hope so lol
All I know is I'm definitely a fan of the favorites tray addition they FINALLY worked into the stock launcher.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
CM9, actually - CM8 never happened as far as the CyanogenMod team is concerned. ;)

I can't think of a reason why third-party launchers would have the perpetual search bar overlay. At least I hope so lol
All I know is I'm definitely a fan of the favorites tray addition they FINALLY worked into the stock launcher.

This might actually be the first stock launcher I can keep but I might miss having 7 homescreens, I like having them :)

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I think the baked-in search bar may have been implemented to solve a UX conflict - they clearly wanted 4 "buttons", but in general people don't recognize more than three items intuitively - obviously we can and do learn to count and use larger numbers, but in terms of basic intuitive observation we see "1, 2, 3, many". So having only 3 buttons on the bottom should be less intimidating and easier to grasp for first time users, while the bar at the top means that search is still as easy to access as it ever was. It even gives search a place of extra prominence, which Google might not be terribly averse to.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I think the baked-in search bar may have been implemented to solve a UX conflict - they clearly wanted 4 "buttons", but in general people don't recognize more than three items intuitively - obviously we can and do learn to count and use larger numbers, but in terms of basic intuitive observation we see "1, 2, 3, many". So having only 3 buttons on the bottom should be less intimidating and easier to grasp for first time users, while the bar at the top means that search is still as easy to access as it ever was. It even gives search a place of extra prominence, which Google might not be terribly averse to.

This makes complete sense. Although does this mean using search within the context of an app wont happen anymore? Perhaps contextual searching will available through an action bar of sorts. I guess we'll see soon enough.

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
U can just use a new launcher. And if u don't want to then suck it up and move on. Lol. Sry. I needed to get my rant out. These forums are just filled with people complaining about the stupidest problems.

sent from my Droid X, which also eats iPhones.

clucernoni

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I can say that I am going to miss the dedicated search button. I think it's so useful. I don't really see why you would want to make people put search functionality right in an application when you could have a button with multiple uses (short press vs long press). I have been on android since the beginning and I never used the google search bar because the dedicated search button did all that i needed and takes very little screen space.

Xephik

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I only use the search button for two functions regularly:

1. To go into apps that I've hidden in the LPP app drawer

2. Before the newest market, I would hit search as soon as I went in because there was no delay after pressing it. I hate how the new market wont let you search until it loads fully

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Here is whats going to be funny.

Everyone is going to abandon the ICS launcher for something else, and then complain because the launcher they went to isnt hw accelerated ;)

That list would include:

ADW
LPP

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site

Everyone is going to abandon the ICS launcher for something else, and then complain because the launcher they went to isnt hw accelerated ;)

That list would include:

ADW
LPP

I'm sure 3rd party launchers will update to take advantage of hw acceleration. Maybe not right at launch, but I wouldn't expect it to take long.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
The best thing would be for Google to release an update that allows some customization. Barring that, it's like anything else that is new, we'll get used to it and start hating everything that is different.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

That list would include:

ADW
LPP

I'm probably never going it install another launcher. The only reason I ever install launchers is to get away from the manufacture's UI. I like the way ICS looks and operates and don't know of any launcher that looks better IMO.

hyperdude

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm probably never going it install another launcher. The only reason I ever install launchers is to get away from the manufacture's UI. I like the way ICS looks and operates and don't know of any launcher that looks better IMO.
Same here. The only reason I ever started using third-party launchers was I wanted to be able to dock shortcuts on the bottom of the homescreens (which before now AOSP didn't have).

Adrynalyne said:
I wouldn't count on it being quick. It will likely require a complete rewrite.
Actually, looking through the API changes for 4.0, hardware acceleration is enabled by default for apps targeting ICS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678