11-04-2011 07:55 PM
55 123
    My OG Droid is crawling and although it has been a favorite/steadfast smart phone - I'm curious who else has held out as long as I have to get ASOP on VZW?
    (I had the Bionic for 10 days and knew it wasn't for me, although I did like the overall speed and added screen size but let's drop that one for now)
    Also curious from current Nexus-S owners what you love/dislike about Samsung's first iteration (screen, build quality/feel, back speaker) and what you're looking forward to most if upgrading to GN..

Positive thread PLEAZE.. we're SO CLOSE
    chuck41520 likes this.
    10-28-2011 07:57 AM
    I have an OG Droid that I can't wait to replace with the GN.
    bplewis24 likes this.
    10-28-2011 08:29 AM
    I have an OG droid as well and can't wait for the upgrade. I had the bionic for 13 days and returned on the last one to Best Buy. I can't wait for a faster processor and ICS. And the hd screen, drooling over that screen and watching Netflix is going to be awesome!!! I for one can't wait. At this point I am going to be preordering on the 10 and will hopefully have in hand by the 17th! 3 weeks left
    10-28-2011 08:36 AM
    I will be getting a GN without hesitation.

I have an OG droid. It is like a three-toed sloth lately, but it has been very reliable. I've dropped it so many times - battery and back door spread all over the ground. Just pick up the parts, put it back together, and turn it back on. My OG droid is like the old Timex commercials - takes a lickin' but keeps on tickin'. I can only hope that the GN will be as durable as my trusty old OG droid.

wheezy276 likes this.
    10-28-2011 08:40 AM
    My power button broke last week. I had to download unlock. I reset the phone a few weeks ago and that helped speed it up a bit. The GN can't get here soon enough. I'm nursing this thing along.
    wheezy276 likes this.
    10-28-2011 08:40 AM
    My power button broke last week. I had to download unlock. I reset the phone a few weeks ago and that helped speed it up a bit. The GN can't get here soon enough. I'm nursing this thing along.
    Sounds like we all are nursing our droids! I'm glade folks are reporting good build quality initially, which as we all know the OG was built like a tank (even the hinge?!)

I originally had a case on the OG, and considering this thing's a beaut' I'll prob get another soft-touch Seidio Surface case (a FAVORITE of mine)/screen cover to keep it pretty..
    10-28-2011 08:56 AM
    I have the OG since launch date. it is as slow as molasses! But it has served me well. I was all hyped to get the Bionic until I started reading about the Nexus. Now I am so excited and can't wait to get it!
    wheezy276 and Mannysaurus like this.
    10-28-2011 08:57 AM
    You made an EXCELLENT decision haha
    10-28-2011 09:13 AM
    Sounds like the OG has been quite the workhorse for all of you...I hear very little bad said about that phone. It seems its earned its HoF spot.
    10-28-2011 09:44 AM
    Sounds like the OG has been quite the workhorse for all of you...I hear very little bad said about that phone. It seems its earned its HoF spot.
    Unfortunately Motorola has decided to Blur their phones and part of what makes the OG Droid great is gone. Which is the reason so many of us aren't buying their phones.
    10-28-2011 09:47 AM
    My droid is still kicking since release day. I cant believe its been almost two years to this day.
    10-28-2011 10:01 AM
    My droid is still kicking since release day. I cant believe its been almost two years to this day.
    Same here, I never thought it would last me so well so long.. (even after I returned my Bionic, I smiled inside when re-activating and picking up my OG)

Any Nexus-S users out there care to chime in? I'm really curious about their overall experience thus far..
    10-28-2011 10:16 AM
    I'm also still on my OG Droid, and I am beyond pumped that a new vanilla Android phone (and a Nexus no less!) is going to be here soon. I'm all over the Galaxy Nexus, and I'm definitely grabbing it as soon as it goes on preorder/releases.
    10-28-2011 10:50 AM
    I had an OG Droid, got it the first day it was released, it was the best phone I ever had. I had it with me during a bass fishing tournament. I got splashed and drench all the way through the tournament and it still work until the end when I was releasing the bass after the weigh in. I slipped on some wet twigs that were on the shore and my foot went flying up in the air, along with that half of my body and the fish's went into the lake. Unfortunately the phone was not water proof.

I'm now on a Palm Pre+ that I got off of craigslist for 37 bucks. I like the card system of the WebOS, and the inductive charging of the battery cover, but everything else on this phone just plain suck. It keeps rebooting on me through out the day, and it will freeze when I try to open emails or webpages. Plus I hate the tiny little keyboard and screen. The GNex just cant come soon enough..
    10-28-2011 11:17 AM
    Still using the OG Droid. I was first in line at the local store the morning they went on sale. But, it's been pretty slow for the past year (often when I go back to the home screen, I get no icons for a minute). Can't wait for the GN.
    10-28-2011 11:55 AM
    I have the same problem with the lag. It is mostly a memory issue. If you can keep the memory over 30mb there is less lag. But every time there is an update, I lose more memory. I am running out of things to uninstall! I already have most everything moved to the sd card that I can. And there are too many programs native to the phone that can't be moved to the sd card.
    10-28-2011 12:15 PM
    I've had the OG Droid since March '10. Technically I'm on my third one (first one's screen backlight had issues and got replaced, second one I had for almost a year and a half until the touchscreen got damaged, got a used one on Swappa) - could have switched to a different phone any time but I never liked anything Verizon offered - mostly because nothing was stock Android or was as easily hackable as the OG.

I'm getting the GN as soon as I can after release.
    10-28-2011 12:31 PM
    A little less than 2 years ago, TMo's Cloud puked my (and most people's) contacts into the ether and with some negotiation I was able to take my 5 lines down the road (with no early termination penalties) and began an extended afternoon with my local VZW store manager.

Got all 3 kidz set up with feature phones and sorted out a family plan for data and minutes...and then was delighted to choose the OG Droid for the wife and me! Manager got all 5 numbers ported over and contacts/pics/tunes shifted for the other four and saved next to nothing for me.

The months go by, the kidz got a bunch of different (better) phones, more smart/data interest and they began to get jobs and pay their share of the monthly tab. The wife and I are still rockin the Droids and grinning!

Then during CES this year I get the reports on the Bionic...hummm...MORE months go by (Whew...ugly times!) until my upgrade date arrives about a month before Sept 8th. That morning I help the store manager (a new one-lots of turn-over) open up and am first in line to get my Bionic.

I'd spent the last month or so lurking on this forum and a couple others and signed in here to participate a bit. HUGE numbers of complaints start showing up...and I can't duplicate *any* of them on mine. (What??) Four days after the launch, VZW throws the LTE switch in this area and wow, is that speed great!

Still no probs with mine and no data drops-solid 4G till I drive more than 20 miles away from our area.

Sooo...with another upgrade coming due in Feb, I've decided to keep the Bionic awhile, have the Nov Update do some good for lots of others (hopefully) and maybe me. Might also get a taste of ICS on this one while I watch here to see how all ya'll do with the Nexus and ponder the need/desire to jump on one in Feb.

Oh...the OG Droid? It was working fine on Sept 8th and it's nestled in the Bionic box...just waiting for the next kid wanting to dump their feature phone! (Only one more kid left!)
    milkshed27 likes this.
    10-28-2011 12:36 PM
    I am on Og Droid, had it since Nov 2009, using ADW launcher which is great. OG Droid still works ok , but with today's apps and widgets it tends to be a bit slow. Since it doesn't have lot of memory apps get swapped out a lot. Even ADW launcher gets swapped so I have to wait for a home screen to return. Not much space left so if I want to install a new app I need to find an existing app to delete. Half of my apps are installed on the SD but even then part of the app still needs to be installed in internal memory.

I'm on Verizon and checked with the store that told me I can get a discount on my next phone.

I guess I could wait until late next year and get the Galaxy SIII or a quad core, IF it will be offered on Verizon, but I can also by the GN now and then go 2 more years and see what's available then. I am fine with the Specs of the Galaxy Nexus and would rather have a phone that does not have a vendor modified UI. If I want to change Ui's I want to be able to choose the one I want without having a vendor UI that I don't want taking up storage on my phone.

Sent an Email to my local Verizon store( I know the manager) and told him to get this phone in for me as soon as it is released. The more I see and know the more I like.

I don't care if the Verizon LTE version will be a bit thicker. Can't be much thicker than my OG Droid with a slide out Keyboard.

I don't care if the software is new and will receive updates to improve it....I am in the IT profession and know that is the way things work.

I am getting it.
    10-28-2011 04:40 PM
    Add me to the list too... got it the day it came out and doing my best to keep it going. The power button barely has any press to it left, but still works most of the time. I am so close to replacing it that I really don't want to do a reset, but it's getting REALLY sluggish and constantly complaining about space so feel like I'm always removing stuff. Just need to keep her going a bit longer...

10-28-2011 04:46 PM
    same here, og is barely hanging on by a thread

nothing but random reboots, force closes, powering off when receiving phone calls, etc, etc

here's hoping my patience pays off with the nexus
    wbonnefond likes this.
    10-28-2011 05:00 PM
    I have an Og Droid and finally will be replacing it with a phone worthy of replacing it: the Galaxy Nexus
    10-28-2011 05:20 PM
    I switched from an iPhone AT&T to TMobile to get the Nexus One, and stayed with them for a Nexus S, but I think I'll be switching to VZW for the Galaxy Nexus when it lands. I've been a fan of the Nexus S, though I always found the wifi to be a little underpowered.

What remains to be seen, of course, is whether Samsung and Verizon TRULY make this an AOSP phone... that is, pure vanilla android, no skins, no bloatware, and include all vanilla settings such as usb/wifi tethering, unlockable boot loader, etc.
    10-28-2011 05:26 PM
    Sorry, hit submit too quickly.

My biggest beef with the Nexus S was lack of removable SD storage. Granted, the internal memory was crazy fast, but when my Nexus S needed to be RMA'd, I lost everything on my "SD" storage partition. That, and lack of 4G on T-Mobile, of course. But Gingerbread was always a great vanilla Android experience.

I'm not crazy about the idea of what I consider to be a significantly larger screen, but as long as the hardware is solid, I'm really looking forward to it. Whether I'll be able to truly utilize a dual-core phone is left to be seen as I'm not much of a gamer on mobile devices.
    10-28-2011 05:31 PM
    My OG has been through hell and back with me. It's been slammed in a car door and dropped multiple times. Still runs like a champ (minus the memory problems! )

Can't wait to trade up for the G-Nex though.
    10-28-2011 06:28 PM
55 123