Anyone else think about VZW stopping the "grandfathered in" data

bmoore0909

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else think about VZW stopping the "grandfathered in" data plans like a day before a big phone launch? I'm ready for upgrade and waiting for the Nexus to come out. I doubt VZW will stop it this time since we haven't heard anything about it...but I'm sure it'll happen sometime..and I'm sure it'll happen right before a big phone launch :)

sciguy82

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: Anyone else think about VZW stopping the "grandfathered in" d

Its always a possibility but the loss of our grandfathered unlimited plans would certainly make some of their most loyal long-time customers think about jumping ship to cheaper plans at other carriers.

Granted, Big Red still has the best network coverage overall but to some big "green" is really the only color that matters :)

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site

If they drop it, I'll probably pack up and head to Sprint as soon as my and then my wife's plans are gone.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

I don't think they will anytime soon. If they did then hopefully when my current contract is up then the other carriers have stepped up their game in terms of network reliability so I can move on.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

Not even worried. If it happens, I will worry then.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site

Verizon's coverage is too good for me too move to a different carrier.

How data do you guys use per month? I don't cloud or stream my music but there was month of worst cases for me (had to travel for a death in the family, power was out for a week, etc etc) and I only managed to use about 2.5 GB. That was mostly due to streaming movies on Netflix...

I honestly imagine on a phone that I could fit most of my data on 32gb I'll ever exceed that...

matthew2109

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site

Can't see Big Red doing this anytime soon. There are too many tangibles and plus if they "change" your data plan in the middle of a contract doesn't that constitute as the consumer being able to opt out of their contract free of penalty?

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

If they drop grandfathered data I will drop them. But at this time it's a non-issue. lets not give them ideas on more ways to screw the customer.

Matthew, yes it does. I know several people that dropped them when they raised the monthly access fee by 3 cents earlier this year.

ejaymd11

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site

I don't think it will happen anytime soon, and who knows technology might progress to will we won't have to give it up. But that unlimited data is what keeps folks from leaving. With out it why stay, when you can either get the service cheaper, or go to the carrier that has the phone you want? It's what keeps their current costumers from jumping ship.

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site

I *think* I remember that when VZW announced their tiered data plan, that all with unlimited data plans were 'grandfathered' for one more cycle of renewal with a new phone. I *think* I used mine on the Bionic 9/8 and will have one more cycle on my wife's line in Feb if I bust a move on a GN and she'll get the Bionic as a hand-me-down.

S'ok by her...she really likes the Bionic!)

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site

If they drop grandfathered data I will drop them.

And go where though? That's the question I struggle with because they are all doing it.

If they do, I think it will be a ways out. That said, this is not something they haven't done before. A month ago I was hanging out with a friend for drinks. He has a 5,000 minute, US/Canada roaming plan that includes unlimited data. His contract expires in 8 months. He received a text message from VZW stating that his plan would be dropped when his contract expires, because it is being eliminated. I think when it comes down to it, they can do whatever they want once your contract expires.

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site

I *think* I remember that when VZW announced their tiered data plan, that all with unlimited data plans were 'grandfathered' for one more cycle of renewal with a new phone. I *think* I used mine on the Bionic 9/8 and will have one more cycle on my wife's line in Feb if I bust a move on a GN and she'll get the Bionic as a hand-me-down.

S'ok by her...she really likes the Bionic!)

No, you have it indefinitely, no matter how many phones you switch. It's not going away until they change the policy.

sprunka

Mar 7, 2011
about.me

On an average normal month (without Netflix) I run with just over 2GB data. Months that I use Netflix are obviously more. On a heavy usage month, I've topped over 5GB. (And I'm on 3G only, no 4G here. But my home WiFi is only 1.5Mbps anyway, so I never use my phone on WiFi, only celluar data.)

If Verizon is going to change their plans and drop all unlimited plans, they will most likely wait until Sprint moves to tiered data. If VZW drops it while Sprint still has unlimited, people who as much data as I do would be silly not to flock to Sprint. (Assuming there is at least reasonable coverage.)

That's my guess anyway.

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
On an average normal month (without Netflix) I run with just over 2GB data. Months that I use Netflix are obviously more. On a heavy usage month, I've topped over 5GB. (And I'm on 3G only, no 4G here. But my home WiFi is only 1.5Mbps anyway, so I never use my phone on WiFi, only celluar data.)

If Verizon is going to change their plans and drop all unlimited plans, they will most likely wait until Sprint moves to tiered data. If VZW drops it while Sprint still has unlimited, people who as much data as I do would be silly not to flock to Sprint. (Assuming there is at least reasonable coverage.)

That's my guess anyway.

Wait till you're on LTE to see how much more data you'll be using. You dont even need to try hard. I average at about 50GB o month and that's without tethering.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

ratchetjaw#AC

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site

That's my guess anyway.

Have you seen Sprints data speeds? I just left them. Unlimited isn't worth it when by the time it finishes loading your into your next billing cycle lol

milkshed27

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

As long as you don't make any changes to your data plan, as it stands, you should always have your unlimited data plan. You can make any changes you want as far as minutes and such but no changes can be made to data or you risk losing your unlimited. Even if you happen to upgrade online and for some reason it switches you to a tiered plan, they will tell you that since unlimited data is no longer offered, there is no way to add that option back onto your account since the system will not allow it.

That said, I've spoken to people who've been with Verizon for 10 years. When they "renewed" for device pricing, it never changed their plan. It simply locked them into it for a new time period. They were never forced into any kind of change. Even when that plan was old and no longer offered. Let's hope that this continues to be the case with unlimited data.

ratchetjaw#AC

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
Wait till you're on LTE to see how much more data you'll be using. You dont even need to try hard. I average at about 50GB o month and that's without tethering.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

How in the heck do you use 50 gb a month on a cell phone? Do you stream movies and music all day every day?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678