Anyone else think about VZW stopping the "grandfathered in" data

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Re: Anyone else think about VZW stopping the "grandfathered in" d

It's a legitimate concern if you've got a 3G plan now, there's nothing to prevent them from saying new 4G contracts are a different beast and that you must have a 4G data service to have a 4G phone (like you need a 3G data service with a 3G smartphone). Once you get an LTE plan you're locked in until you decide there's something you want to change. However I agree that the risk is fairly low at this point.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

I don't think VZW will ever DROP unlimited data, for people who are presently qualified for it. I think they will wait until you disqualify yourself under the current criteria. Losing unlimited data will ALWAYS be your fault. :)

-Frank

BBBay

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site

ya I wasnt worried either, then I bought the droid and learned I should have put a smart phone on my unused account just so I could grandfather the unlimited data plan.

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
How in the heck do you use 50 gb a month on a cell phone? Do you stream movies and music all day every day?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Simple browsing, steaming, speedtesting etc. you can do all these reach media activities the same way you would do it home. You're getting the same experience and once you let go of the "cell data" concept and just enjoy the experience, your data usage will show it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

ratchetjaw#AC

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
Simple browsing, steaming, speedtesting etc. you can do all these reach media activities the same way you would do it home. You're getting the same experience and once you let go of the "cell data" concept and just enjoy the experience, your data usage will show it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

I do the same minus streaming, some youtube vids but no music or netflix and rarerly go over 2gb. I am on wifi a lot but 50gb wow

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site

Downloading ROMs every couple of days got my usage up to 11GB in a month. I'm on AOSP and every update now is about 100mb (1/3 of what Sense was) and they are less frequent.

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

While I am sure verizon will stop letting unlimited data carry over with a contract renewal at some point I don't think it will be for a while, hopefully when they do they will have more options for plans greater than 2gb/month

Aguaski

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
The most recent data changes happened when Verizon decided to add the iPhone to their line up. When Apple finally gets their act together, and decides to offer a true 4G LTE iPhone, it will not surprise me if that is Verizons catalyst to end the grandfathering of unlimited data.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site

I don't think VZW will ever DROP unlimited data, for people who are presently qualified for it. I think they will wait until you disqualify yourself under the current criteria. Losing unlimited data will ALWAYS be your fault. :)

-Frank

They will, I promise.

They did it last time they had a major data type change on their network after some time (1x to 3G), when feature phones started sucking more data (like the Voyager), and then again for smart phones after a certain date.

After a certain yet to be determined date, they will not allow for a new device to be activated on your line without a plan change.

Trust me, nothing is forever.

CBMC

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
They will, I promise.

They did it last time they had a major data type change on their network after some time (1x to 3G), when feature phones started sucking more data (like the Voyager), and then again for smart phones after a certain date.

After a certain yet to be determined date, they will not allow for a new device to be activated on your line without a plan change.

Trust me, nothing is forever.

Yes. There is no way that they will keep the grandfathered forever. Then again, a lower and lower percentage of subscribers will have the unlimited as time goes on. Hopefully it won't be for a while.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

I'm not worried about losing the unlimited data. If it does happen, it won't be for quite some time. And at that point I'll be able to say it was a good ride while it lasted.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

Little off topic but just out of curiousity. Does anyone know any #s/ figures, as to how many people got "grandfathered" in? Don't recall ever seeing anything about that floating around.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Wait till you're on LTE to see how much more data you'll be using. You dont even need to try hard. I average at about 50GB o month and that's without tethering.

Are you sure you're reading your data usage correctly? Not getting 5GB mixed up with 50GB?
I use my phone everyday, and tether almost everyday, and I average about 5GB per month. I don't see how it's even possible to use 50 GB per month, especially if you're not tethering.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

Are you sure you're reading your data usage correctly? Not getting 5GB mixed up with 50GB?
I use my phone everyday, and tether almost everyday, and I average about 5GB per month. I don't see how it's even possible to use 50 GB per month, especially if you're not tethering.

If he's correct about 50GB, in a month. Ladies & gentlemen, we now know who the first recipient of throttling will be:D

CBMC

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

With LTE it is possible, especially when you are pulling 20 mbps. I use about 6 GBs per month using my LTE about 30 minutes per day average (mostly video/music streaming). That all being said, to use 50Gbs you would have to average several hours per day of heavy use.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
With LTE it is possible, especially when you are pulling 20 mbps. I use about 6 GBs per month using my LTE about 30 minutes per day average (mostly video/music streaming). That all being said, to use 50Gbs you would have to average several hours per day of heavy use.

You're only able to pull as much data of that file's size.
If a file you're streaming is only 500kb in size, one would not be pulling 20 MB every second.

ratchetjaw#AC

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
If a file you're streaming is only 500kb in size, one would not be pulling 20 MB every second.

Exactly, for a minute there I was scratching my head. Thought I was losing it.

CBMC

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

Of course, i wasn't talking at all about the size of a particular file. I am guilty of not reading the whole thread and was just committing on the post that said "I don't know if it is possible to use 50GB per month". I was just stating that it is possible, but would require heavy usage. Looking back I see the OP said he used 50GB with light use, which seems odd.