Nov. 17th European Launch to precede U.S. Launch

bulvine420

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I think verizon is not announcing the release date or releasing it with in the same time period as the Razr
so that they dont end up with a bunch of used phones when you return that crap.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm tempted to buy a new phone every week and returning it until the Nexus is released. Damn restocking fee.

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I'll be shocked if the problem lies with Samsung. You would think that Samsung would be concerned about people just opting for the iphone. They need to realize that there are phones coming out this month with better specs than the GN and the most appealing thing to everyone with the GN is ICS. If they were smart they would release the GN now then release the other phones with better stats later with a timeline as to when they will be getting the ICS upgrades. This will put a highly anticipated phone on the market now to appease all the GN people. The other phones (razr etc) can be released the next month along with an ETA on ICS upgrade information. This will appease the people who may want more up to date hardware. To me this method makes way more sense because of the extremely strong iphone 4s sales. They basically have been giving Apple a free month to take as many sales away from Google and Samsung as possible. And I do agree with another poster on here. Google/Samsung did a crappy job at this whole GN roll-out thing....Apple is light years ahead of them. At the end of Apples presentation we all knew the price and when the damn things could be ordered. At the end of the Google/Samsung presentation all we did was scratch our heads........and we're still scratching our heads over two weeks later!

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
^^
I'm just regular baffled. I've heard tons of theories and most of them are seriously strategic and deep. I'm still simple. I don't understand why Samsung would want to let Moto and HTC get their foot in the door and start running towards holiday sales, gathering good reviews, etc and let the Nexus stand on the sidelines. There's honestly nothing strategic about missing the holiday sales window.

Now you see that nothing they do makes sense to rational people. They are an enigma to the modern world.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I'll be shocked if the problem lies with Samsung. You would think that Samsung would be concerned about people just opting for the iphone. They need to realize that there are phones coming out this month with better specs than the GN and the most appealing thing to everyone with the GN is ICS. If they were smart they would release the GN now then release the other phones with better stats later with a timeline as to when they will be getting the ICS upgrades. This will put a highly anticipated phone on the market now to appease all the GN people. The other phones (razr etc) can be released the next month along with an ETA on ICS upgrade information. This will appease the people who may want more up to date hardware. To me this method makes way more sense because of the extremely strong iphone 4s sales. They basically have been giving Apple a free month to take as many sales away from Google and Samsung as possible. And I do agree with another poster on here. Google/Samsung did a crappy job at this whole GN roll-out thing....Apple is light years ahead of them. At the end of Apples presentation we all knew the price and when the damn things could be ordered. At the end of the Google/Samsung presentation all we did was scratch our heads........and we're still scratching our heads over two weeks later!

If overseas carriers have a dedicated launch date for the SGN. Google got the final ICS build wrapped & Samsung has their product ready to ship out. It points the finger back at Verizon because they control the release date for their model whereas, others don't have that freedom. That's one thing I hate about Verizon being the only pure LTE carrier here. They get specific builds others get more generic gsm models. That allows Verizon to have control of releases because manufacturers have to play by their rules if the wanna slot on the best, current, network. Very shrewd but very intelligent fromthe corporate standpoint.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I received this reply back:

"Unfortunately, Samsung has not given us a release date, and without a release date we cannot give one to our customers as it would be incorrect information. We do have an option to sign up so you may get the latest alerts on the Nexus, such as release date, pre-order information etc. I am including a link below where you may sign up to receive these notifications.

Nexus Information: http://smartphones.verizonwireless.com/nexus/"

Ug. So it looks like maybe it is Samsung who isn't giving them a release date, but god knows how to contact them. Also, the rep didn't seem to be helpful with options for me not to cancel, and all she gives me is the sign-up page that I've already used.

Translation: "Samsung hasn't given us a date we want to hear yet"

experiment 626

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Of course it's possible the European launch and American launch schedules are concerning the GN's GSM variant.CDMA/LTE device launches really have no impact to Europe. Having Verizon space out the launch of three high-end devices(with the non-bloated Nexus last,of course) makes the most sense.

Brooke

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I think verizon is not announcing the release date or releasing it with in the same time period as the Razr
so that they dont end up with a bunch of used phones when you return that crap.

LOL, great thought. Push the GN out past the return date of early Razr buyers.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Okay the original Nexus One launched on Jan. 5th 2010 and the Nexus S launched in the US on December 16th 2010. That was 345 days between launches.

345 days from the last launch of the Nexus S puts the date at November 25th, which is a Friday this year, the day after Thanksgiving.

Now with the Nexus S, it launched 6 days in the UK after launching in the US on December 22nd. So maybe they will alternate launches between the UK and the US each year. So the next Nexus will launch in the US first followed by the UK, or until they can coordinate a true world launch.

So this it what I believe are the scenarios for the Launch date for the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon.

6 days following the launch in the UK would be 23rd of November the day before Thanksgiving.

345 days following the last launch places it right on Black Friday. Why launch a phone on Black Friday....shoppers are out and about. Going here and there spending money and willing to stand in lines.

I still believe that the 17th is a possibility as it would launch in the UK 1st and then a couple hours later in the US.

So in summary: I think the Galaxy Nexus is likely to Launch in the US on one of the following dates.

11/17
11/23
11/25

Thanks

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't think there's anything sort of pattern going on with the Nexus devices. It's just whenever Google is ready, we get it.

Also, I don't see them launching anything near the holidays. But that's just me. If its just a silent launch, it might not matter.

Sent from my ADR6400L

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Okay the original Nexus One launched on Jan. 5th 2010 and the Nexus S launched in the US on December 16th 2010. That was 345 days between launches.

That's a pretty deep analysis but I agree with EggoEspada, I don't really think there's really a pattern here we can rely on. I just think there's a lot of back room negotiation, shuffling, and posturing with a lot of information being kept tight-lipped.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I think we can all agree on one thing: Google has screwed up. They had our attention, the media's attention, and they squandered it. They could have announced a release date aand pricing but they didn't. Instead we're stuck with this waiting game. Google should step up and say, "Verizon, this is when it's releasing. Deal with it." You think. Apple asked Verizon when they would like to launch? Bull. Apple knows how to deal with the carriers. Google needs to grow a pair. If this thing launches in the middle of the holiday season, Google has utterly failed. They do not know how to launch a product. Look at Google+. Damn, it's so upsetting to see the carriers stomp all over Google.

Stand up, Google. Otherwise the Nexus will continue to be lost in between huge phone launches like the Razr and Rezound. The Nexus is essentially Google's iPhone, a pure vision, yet no one out there will touch one because Google and Verizon won't market it. Such a shame.

zmenchhofer

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I agree, apple has a pair.... google needs to find theirs. why do you think VZW didnt take the iPhone when apple took it to VZW prior to ATT? because they didnt like the control apple was going to have.

I think we can all agree on one thing: Google has screwed up. They had our attention, the media's attention, and they squandered it. They could have announced a release date aand pricing but they didn't. Instead we're stuck with this waiting game. Google should step up and say, "Verizon, this is when it's releasing. Deal with it." You think. Apple asked Verizon when they would like to launch? Bull. Apple knows how to deal with the carriers. Google needs to grow a pair. If this thing launches in the middle of the holiday season, Google has utterly failed. They do not know how to launch a product. Look at Google+. Damn, it's so upsetting to see the carriers stomp all over Google.

Stand up, Google. Otherwise the Nexus will continue to be lost in between huge phone launches like the Razr and Rezound. The Nexus is essentially Google's iPhone, a pure vision, yet no one out there will touch one because Google and Verizon won't market it. Such a shame.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I don't think that Google can impose it's will on to Verizon. Apple was in a better position because they only make one phone, so if Verizon wanted it, they had to play by Apples rules. No Android phone/manufacturer has that kind of leverage. If some company wants Verizon to do something they don't like, they can say "no thanks...we've got these 47 other Android devices to sell."

kvlt

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site

I agree completely. Living with a Blackberry Curve 8330 since my switch back to VZW doesnt make matters better. Unfortunately i need a new phone badly and if this truly does come out in Europe before we have a solid release date... Im probably going to switch carriers and import it. Google needs to man up and Verizon needs to seriously get a clue when considering their past couple phone launches.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
I think we can all agree on one thing: Google has screwed up. They had our attention, the media's attention, and they squandered it. They could have announced a release date aand pricing but they didn't. Instead we're stuck with this waiting game. Google should step up and say, "Verizon, this is when it's releasing. Deal with it." .

A) I don't agree that Google screwed up

B) Google has never really seemed to care much about moving tons of units with the Nexus phones. These phones are more or less just an avenue for OS releases.

C) Carriers determine release dates. The only Google could do differently is wait for Verizon to give them a date; however, the phone was ready in the rest of the world.

D) In hindsight, the biggest mistake made by Google was every bothering with Verizon. Big Red is a headache. I'm sure Samsung agrees. Verizon didn't release the GS2 supposedly because the Nexus was on the way, but then Verizon delays the release to push their bloat phones.

The phone would be out in the US already if they hadn't gone to Verizon first.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Google's whole strategy is to have Android on as many phones as possible from a variety of OEMs. I think them pushing the Nexus would be beneficial but not at the detriment of their carrier and OEM partnerships. Even if Verizon were to axe or downplay the Galaxy Nexus, Google will still have two star devices with Android being released this month on Big Red's network and that is really all that matters in the end. The main Nexus selling point, ICS, will inevitably make its way to these devices. Other carriers will also ultimately receive the Nexus like they always do.

However, I think most of us can agree that Verizon doesn't know when it has good thing on its hands even if it slapped them across the face. Their collective minds seems primarily focused on the only thing they excel at which is their network, and they are obviously using that as leverage to get their way unless you're Apple.

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
For Verizon, having both the iphone as well as the GN is just a plus....they know they win any way you slice it....there is no hurry. I agree with other posters on here saying that Google needs to grow a pair. Google needs to take their vanilla phones more seriously. I personally think they slipped with Verizon and slipped with Samsung. They should have had contracts in line with Samsung involving a more up to date phone with better specs to launch ICS and they also should have had contracts involved with Verizon giving a definitive date launch..... and if both Samsung and Verizon didn't want to agree to these contracts then google should have went to another carrier and another phone manufacturer. These vanilla phones should be going head to head with the iphone IMO. I'm sure that Apple has very restrictive contracts in place for their launches....this is why they launch without any problems. Hopefully this is just a growing pain with Google, I just feel they need to start promoting their vanilla phones more and make better contracts with the carriers and phone manufacturers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781