Nov. 17th European Launch to precede U.S. Launch

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
However, I think most of us can agree that Verizon doesn't know when it has good thing on its hands even if it slapped them across the face. Their collective minds seems primarily focused on the only thing they excel at which is their network, and they are obviously using that as leverage to get their way unless you're Apple.

Yes, I agree Verizon is messing this up, as well.

But to the bolded point, why is it JUST Apple? Doesn't Google have a phone operating system with large marketshare? Why can't they get leverage against the carriers, why is it only Apple?

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
A) I don't agree that Google screwed up

B) Google has never really seemed to care much about moving tons of units with the Nexus phones. These phones are more or less just an avenue for OS releases.

C) Carriers determine release dates. The only Google could do differently is wait for Verizon to give them a date; however, the phone was ready in the rest of the world.

D) In hindsight, the biggest mistake made by Google was every bothering with Verizon. Big Red is a headache. I'm sure Samsung agrees. Verizon didn't release the GS2 supposedly because the Nexus was on the way, but then Verizon delays the release to push their bloat phones.

The phone would be out in the US already if they hadn't gone to Verizon first.

A) Your opinion.

B) While that is true for the most part, they are going to have to change their tune. With the iPhone on more carriers than ever, Google should respond with their own "vertically made" device (I know it's not true vertical manufacturing). Google bringing the phone to Verizon and 4GLTE tells me they DO want the Nexus line in more hands, otherwise they would just have released it on T-Mobile (smallest carrier) with GSM bands.

C) Not true. Apple decided their release dates, surely. Why can't Google? The iPhone came out on the same day on THREE carriers. You think the carriers got together and agreed on that day? No, Apple told them that was the day, plan accordingly. Do you think Google could pull off a three-carrier release? Sadly, not right now...

D) True, for sure! (But come on, we're happy it's eventually coming to Verizon :))

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
A) I don't agree that Google screwed up

B) Google has never really seemed to care much about moving tons of units with the Nexus phones. These phones are more or less just an avenue for OS releases.

C) Carriers determine release dates. The only Google could do differently is wait for Verizon to give them a date; however, the phone was ready in the rest of the world.

D) In hindsight, the biggest mistake made by Google was every bothering with Verizon. Big Red is a headache. I'm sure Samsung agrees. Verizon didn't release the GS2 supposedly because the Nexus was on the way, but then Verizon delays the release to push their bloat phones.

The phone would be out in the US already if they hadn't gone to Verizon first.

In many ways, it is. See the GS2 for every other carrier. ;)

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
A) Your opinion.

B) While that is true for the most part, they are going to have to change their tune. With the iPhone on more carriers than ever, Google should respond with their own "vertically made" device (I know it's not true vertical manufacturing). Google bringing the phone to Verizon and 4GLTE tells me they DO want the Nexus line in more hands, otherwise they would just have released it on T-Mobile (smallest carrier) with GSM bands.

C) Not true. Apple decided their release dates, surely. Why can't Google? The iPhone came out on the same day on THREE carriers. You think the carriers got together and agreed on that day? No, Apple told them that was the day, plan accordingly. Do you think Google could pull off a three-carrier release? Sadly, not right now...

D) True, for sure! (But come on, we're happy it's eventually coming to Verizon :))

Google, albeit possibly just for the patent portfolio.. is in the process of buying a hardware company..
so we will hopefully see eventually a google version of the iphone essentially.. and thank god it wont be made by Samsung.

People talking about switching carriers etc for the Nexus are foolish.. its one phone.. the true power of the nexus is ICS and that will be on more phones soon enough.. phones without so many shortcomings.

Some will be vanilla, some wont be.. but you guys all mod your phones anyhow so I dont know what the big deal is.. I think your going to be bored with a vanilla phone.

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site

But to the bolded point, why is it JUST Apple? Doesn't Google have a phone operating system with large marketshare? Why can't they get leverage against the carriers, why is it only Apple?

I personally think the reason is because Verizon was stung bad by Apple in the past for not taking the iphone in the first place.....Google has yet to do this. Most of us are on here because we are Android fans and not iphone fans but the fact is Apple is phenomenal at promoting and executing a phone launch. This is why I feel that Google needs to really take their vanilla phones more seriously because the true enthusiasts like us are the ones who want it and they should make the carriers really want it. Google needs to put their OS in a state of the art phone, promote the hell out of it and execute the release decisively.

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

because verizon lost a lot of customers to at&t when the iphone was exclusive. When verizon got the iphone, it was their best device launch ever and since then they have steadily been poaching dissatisfied at&t iphone users. Verizon's android devices never did this, the best they did was to slow the exodus of customers to at&t for the iphone.

Android may have much higher market share, but this is spread out across a ton of phones, and google has no control over most of them, verizon's android portfolio would be just fine without the nexus, but their smartphone portfolio would be lacking if they did not have the iphone.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
because verizon lost a lot of customers to at&t when the iphone was exclusive. When verizon got the iphone, it was their best device launch ever and since then they have steadily been poaching dissatisfied at&t iphone users. Verizon's android devices never did this, the best they did was to slow the exodus of customers to at&t for the iphone.

Android may have much higher market share, but this is spread out across a ton of phones, and google has no control over most of them, verizon's android portfolio would be just fine without the nexus, but their smartphone portfolio would be lacking if they did not have the iphone.

My sentiments exactly. I should also re-iterate that it would benefit Google more to support multiple devices with Android if they are to continue beating the competition. Pulling all their weight behind one device would go against their interest especially if the carriers push back and/or start pushing for alternatives. Not to mention it would alienate other OEMs.

As fast as Android as risen, it can fall just as quickly.

Last edited:

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site

I agree 100%. This is why Google needs to take their vanilla phone more seriously and make the carriers want it and if it that means making the damn phone themselves then they need to do it!

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site

What would happen if Google along with it's hardware partners threatened to stop selling phones to Verizon? (unlikely, I know, but bare with me) Verizon cannot survive on the iPhone alone. They need Android devices as well and if Google really needed influence with Verizon, they could call for help from their manufacturers. Would the manufacturers go along with this? Well, that's another story. But could you see Google starting this staring contest with Verizon if they NEEDED to get something done? I don't think so. Google CAN gain leverage over the carriers, they just...don't.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Do the Manufacturers even need google's permission to use Android?

They care alot more about their relationships with Verizon, ATT, etc.. then they care about their relationships with Google or Microsoft, IMO.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Do the Manufacturers even need google's permission to use Android?

They care alot more about their relationships with Verizon, ATT, etc.. then they care about their relationships with Google or Microsoft, IMO.

Yes, if the manu's want to use Google Apps (Gmail, Market, Maps, etc) their EVERY phone needs to be appoved by Google. Literally every device is seen before being released with GApps. Pretty funny, actually.

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
What would happen if Google along with it's hardware partners threatened to stop selling phones to Verizon? (unlikely, I know, but bare with me) Verizon cannot survive on the iPhone alone. They need Android devices as well and if Google really needed influence with Verizon, they could call for help from their manufacturers. Would the manufacturers go along with this? Well, that's another story. But could you see Google starting this staring contest with Verizon if they NEEDED to get something done? I don't think so. Google CAN gain leverage over the carriers, they just...don't.

Android is open sourced, they cannot prevent anyone from using it, as long as some manufacturers would be willing to fill the void left if any decided to leave verizon would still have several android devices. The only thing google can do is withhold their services, including the market, but as verizon has already shown, the google services can be stripped out and replaced with bing/verizon services. Verizon also has their own app store, or they could partner with amazon to use theirs. The point is that android has grown to the point where it no longer needs google

Salacon

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I will admit right away that I did not read all 8 pages before posting, but everyone needs to be calm about this. For one, as was stated previously, it could just be confusion with wording. Perhaps, if anything, this does not apply to Verizon's launch of the phone anyway. Plus, good ol' Panda still seems pretty confident about something being announced this week and the device being released on the 10th, just like the MAP we saw not that long ago displayed.

Let's all just relax. I know we're all really pumped for Verizon to be getting a Nexus (I know I am incredibly excited and really want to finally replace my OG Droid), but we should just take some deep breaths and remember that a phone is nothing to get so riled up about.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Android is open sourced, they cannot prevent anyone from using it, as long as some manufacturers would be willing to fill the void left if any decided to leave verizon would still have several android devices. The only thing google can do is withhold their services, including the market, but as verizon has already shown, the google services can be stripped out and replaced with bing/verizon services. Verizon also has their own app store, or they could partner with amazon to use theirs. The point is that android has grown to the point where it no longer needs google

I think Google is powerful enough that the manufacturers would want to stand by their side if Google really did put out a call "against" Verizon. The Bing phones are shunned, SHUNNED. There's a reason that contract is believed to have expired. Verizon knows it didn't work too well.

I will say this, though: I wouldn't put it past Verizon to team up with Amazon and not use the Android Market. Damn Verizon...great network, sketchy practices.

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I think Google is powerful enough that the manufacturers would want to stand by their side if Google really did put out a call "against" Verizon. The Bing phones are shunned, SHUNNED. There's a reason that contract is believed to have expired. Verizon knows it didn't work too well.

I will say this, though: I wouldn't put it past Verizon to team up with Amazon and not use the Android Market. Damn Verizon...great network, sketchy practices.

Well if the major manufacturers stood against verizon, what would stop smaller manufacturers like Hauwei and Kyocera and others from capitalizing on the vacuum created on verizon. This threat alone is what will keep the major manufacturers from leaving, none of them command the same loyalty that apple does and many would not switch, they would buy from other manufacturers that chose to stay, especially apple.

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I could be wrong, but it would appear they still have your attention. LOL

Well, they still have our attention. Who knows about the average consumer. And, again, I don't blame Google for a later release...this falls on VZW. Google/Samsung did a crap job of marketing (basically none) but the reason we don't have this device yet isn't their fault.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie