do we know which lte radio will be in the Gnex for vzw? 1st gen or 2nd gen? Im hoping its a battery sipping second gen... ( i am blindly assuming that the 2nd gen will be better because my tbolt with the 1st gen sucks)

Thank you in advance for your panda wisdom.. or if anyone else knows this FOR SURE thank you as well!!
    11-01-2011 02:48 PM
    Based on a couple of the pandas comments, I wouldn't expect a miracle when it comes to battery life. LTE is hungry. Just the nature of the beast.
    11-01-2011 03:02 PM
    Didn't know there was radio generations as I thought radios were software. O_o
    11-01-2011 03:17 PM
    Didn't know there was radio generations as I thought radios were software. O_o
    he is referring to the lte chip and i believe it is second gen, with 3rd gen coming 1st or 2nd quarter next year
    11-01-2011 03:35 PM
    he is referring to the lte chip and i believe it is second gen, with 3rd gen coming 1st or 2nd quarter next year
    Thanks for clarifying.
    11-01-2011 03:43 PM
    yes i was referring to the chips inside! so would it be safe to assume that it should be better than my thunderbolt with a first generation chip inside?
    11-01-2011 09:12 PM
    The battery in the thunderbolt isnt due to the radio.. its the svdo that really hurts the BOLT in addition to a small battery and LTE.. that being said it is not the "2nd Gen" all in one unit that will really help battery life, as that I believe isnt slated till early 2012. it is slightly smaller then the chipset that launched LTE on vzw as far as size but not sure if it uses the smaller nanometer manufacturing process.

the battery will be fine.. my comments are an extreme case, like I said I use about 4gb of data a day and get 6 hours on the device..
    11-01-2011 09:51 PM
    Also alot of the battery life depends on the ROM and kernal. I am on my thunderbolt and moderate usage (GPS for about a half hour, texting through out the day, email, bad signal during a class) and i have 62 percent at 10 hours.
    11-01-2011 10:02 PM
    lol panda is so mysterious. You wanna hear his words? Leave a post and pray he answers. And when he does, it's always a surreal moment. lmfao
    11-01-2011 10:17 PM
    If I could ask a question panda....

Is there any difference in speeds between say a thunderbolt LTE and the Nexus. Reason being is that I can't achieve any more than 3mb down in the Tampa area which kinda sucks

Thanks...
    11-01-2011 10:32 PM
    Thank you for your words of wisdom! I wish i could have your job or spend a few days in your shoes! It is my dream to combine marketing+mobile phones+google! Need an assistant?
    11-02-2011 02:03 PM

Is there any difference in speeds between say a thunderbolt LTE and the Nexus. Reason being is that I can't achieve any more than 3mb down in the Tampa area which kinda sucks

Thanks...
    I wouldn't count on it. That's most likely due to either the network or the radio you currently have flashed. Try flashing a different radio in HBOOT and see if it helps. It's worth a shot I guess. If you do decide to flash a different radio on the TBolt just make sure the md5 sum matches what is posted on the site. You can mess up a device pretty easily flashing radios.
    11-02-2011 03:35 PM
    The battery in the thunderbolt isnt due to the radio.. its the svdo that really hurts the BOLT in addition to a small battery and LTE.. that being said it is not the "2nd Gen" all in one unit that will really help battery life, as that I believe isnt slated till early 2012. it is slightly smaller then the chipset that launched LTE on vzw as far as size but not sure if it uses the smaller nanometer manufacturing process.

the battery will be fine.. my comments are an extreme case, like I said I use about 4gb of data a day and get 6 hours on the device..
    That answers a secret question I had, as to why some of you get such short battery life. When I had the Bionic, I could get through a twelve hour day at work, listening to music off & on, checking emails, browsing a little bit and, answering some calls. I mostly burn my battery when I'm at home playing with the phone, usually when I first get it.
    11-02-2011 04:13 PM
    I wouldn't count on it. That's most likely due to either the network or the radio you currently have flashed. Try flashing a different radio in HBOOT and see if it helps. It's worth a shot I guess. If you do decide to flash a different radio on the TBolt just make sure the md5 sum matches what is posted on the site. You can mess up a device pretty easily flashing radios.

It's not that at all. I've flashed every cdma and LTE configuration and it doesn't speed it up. I didn't know if there was a ceiling of sorts the Tbolt could achieve... or I have a borked Tbolt which could certainly be the case
    11-02-2011 04:29 PM
    do we know which lte radio will be in the Gnex for vzw? 1st gen or 2nd gen? Im hoping its a battery sipping second gen... ( i am blindly assuming that the 2nd gen will be better because my tbolt with the 1st gen sucks)

Thank you in advance for your panda wisdom.. or if anyone else knows this FOR SURE thank you as well!!
    Guys 2nd gen LTE radios won't be available till 2nd quarter of 2012. I've posted many times about this the technology is just not available yet. They will be all in ones, 28nm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk
    11-02-2011 04:38 PM
    I thought the razr has a new lte radio in it
    11-02-2011 04:39 PM
    I thought the razr has a new lte radio in it
    A newer radio but it is still fabricated at the 45nm node so it is not much more efficient
    delco714 likes this.
    11-02-2011 04:44 PM
    It's not that at all. I've flashed every cdma and LTE configuration and it doesn't speed it up. I didn't know if there was a ceiling of sorts the Tbolt could achieve... or I have a borked Tbolt which could certainly be the case
    How are you testing the speed? Those tests are very dependent on the server you're connecting to.
    11-02-2011 04:53 PM
    How are you testing the speed? Those tests are very dependent on the server you're connecting to.
    This is very true also. If you get a server that's far away obviously the results could not be the greatest.
    11-02-2011 06:11 PM
    LTE is different speeds in different markets, too.

Here, you cannot get better than 16-20 down.

I've seen a ton of posts with 40-50 speeds down in NYC.
    11-02-2011 06:18 PM
    LTE is different speeds in different markets, too.

Here, you cannot get better than 16-20 down.

I've seen a ton of posts with 40-50 speeds down in NYC.
    I'm seeing as high as 63mbps in NYC. Each market is a different beast but since 73.6mbps is theoretical maximum about 65mbps is really the real world peak limit.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    11-02-2011 08:22 PM

Thanks...
    Def something wrong with either the radio you have flashed or the device.. I was in Tampa for a bachelor party and buddy of mine has a stock bolt and was getting 10+ consistently.

Panda
    11-02-2011 08:33 PM
    Try speakeasy.net. I get consistently over 16 down on speakeasy, but less than 5 on speedtest.net. I'm in miami.
    11-03-2011 06:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD