11-06-2011 12:25 PM
182 ... 23456 ...
tools
    The Nexus is one of the least future proof phones, coming out so late in the yearly "worthy" spec cycle.
    What isn't future proof about a phone that will get Jellybean shortly after it's released (sooner than any phone that is not being released with JB stock) and run that like a champ?
    11-03-2011 08:08 AM
    Is anyone else disappointed with the specs?
    No.

(I apologize if I'm going too far off topic here. )
    11-03-2011 08:16 AM
    I call the 3gs and 4s incremental improvements as do most observers. YMMV
    11-03-2011 08:18 AM
    Software optimization and battery technology needs to come quite a way before better hardware will be useful to anyone.

Here is my example of software optimization.

iOS 5 Brings Major Browsing Speed Boosts to Safari

And, well we all know how bad the battery can be. The 4460 in the GN is natively clocked at 1.5 but tuned back whether that's for battery or not Google decided the dev phone didn't even need more speed and i can't blame them. Emulators are the only thing that I've ever over locked for and actually noticed very slight benefits.

Plus even if the super quadcore phone came out tomorrow it would be at the very least 6-8 months before there was an update to actually utilize all four cores. It would be like the current dual cores that aren't much faster then non dualcores and certainly not near double the speed in benchmarks that they should be.

So while I'm sure I'd want it, not for a year or so until its useful. And I'm not waiting a year when there is great stuff coming out now.

Megapixels are important yes, but ni where near as important as the optics it uses for the pic esp. when it comes to zooming. This is easily shown with none camera optics. Compare a 5 dollar set of binoculars to a 600 dollar set with the same zoom level. One will be blurry and near useless and you'll say to yourself "no wonder these were free in a box of cereal" the other will be focused and crystal clear.

Just look at the 8mp bionic vs the 5mp iPhone 4. There is no comparison, not even close. The iPhone had superior optics and it showed.

Don't fall for all the marketing hype. Buy what works. If it takes a beautiful picture and the processor can run every app ever made what is there to wait for?

I'm as geeky as the next guy and having something just because its faster is fine but in reality the wait for it will be too long and there will always be something better coming out....
    VERY well said. If you wait for the "latest/greatest" you will never buy what is available.

I am into the latest tech too, but you have to "fish or cut bait" and make what you buy work for you the way you need it to work.

This new software/hardware combination in the GN seems to have most of what I need compared to other platforms. I was disappointed that Microsoft/Nokia could not come up with a "windows phone" solution for the holidays this year (on Verizon). I would have looked at the HTC Titan, but it will not be released on Verizon. That being said, I think that the ICS and GN will probably have a better experience than anything that MS/NokIa puts out in the near future.

We all struggle with these decisions, but you have to just "do it" and make the decision!
    11-03-2011 08:31 AM
    How big are the music files you have that 32 gb isn't enough?
    I have more music files than you would probably believe if I told you. When I was a very young man I considered music as a profession. I didn't end up doing that but some of my friends did. Some became very "famous". I still play a lot with them and I have a lot of recordings that were done with a bunch of us just sitting around making music.

I fly quite a bit for business and also to go to music gigs, either as an attendee and sometimes to visit friends who are playing a gig. This may not be important for some but having my music available on my phone or ipod or whatever is a no compromise deal for me. I do have an old 120gb ipod classic that I could start using again (if I can find it), but I prefer to not be carrying so much stuff with me.
    11-03-2011 09:41 AM
    Google Music killed the iPod for me. I wonder how much it will cost when it comes out of beta. I'll probably pay whatever it costs.
    11-03-2011 09:46 AM
    Google Music killed the iPod for me. I wonder how much it will cost when it comes out of beta. I'll probably pay whatever it costs.
    I have Google Music. I only uploaded about 35 gigs of music to it because it was taking forever. I have used it a few times. My problem is that there are too many instances where I can't get to my music because of no data or because I'm in airplane mode and more.

I'm not knocking cloud services, all I'm saying is that it doesn't always work for me. Nothing else, if it works for others in all cases and at all times, that's great.
    11-03-2011 10:01 AM
    I have Google Music. I only uploaded about 35 gigs of music to it because it was taking forever. I have used it a few times. My problem is that there are too many instances where I can't get to my music because of no data or because I'm in airplane mode and more.
    It took a couple of days to upload all my music. I always have about 5 or 6 albums (at least) of music available in offline mode for access when I'm on an airplane or out of range.
    11-03-2011 10:10 AM
    I call the 3gs and 4s incremental improvements as do most observers. YMMV
    i misread your post, in that you meant the 3GS (going from the 3G) and the 4S (going from the iphone 4) were incremental improvements. and that I do agree.
    11-03-2011 10:11 AM
    I only used Google music to upload my ltunes library because, I wasn't sure how much storage the GN would have. I think i'm really going to like it because, the 4G is strong in my city and, I only have around 7 GB of music. I could probably download my whole music library on the phone in very little time.
    11-03-2011 10:15 AM
    your comment is a little off topic but...the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4S are "incremental improvements"??? who are these "most observers" you're referring to??? holy sh!t! whatever your smokin, you gotta get me some. it's like saying, the HTC Incredible and the HTC Rezound are "incremental improvements".

compared with the iPhone 3GS, the iPhone 4S has a faster processor, a retina display with double the PPI and resolution, a faster graphics processor, more potential storage, an insanely improved case design and smaller form factor, and is both CDMA and GSM capable making it a world phone. I haven't even mentioned a lot of the other improvements. how do all of these equate to an "incremental improvement" from the 3GS to the 4S?

i'm always appalled at how little common sense certain people can have. c'mon man. you gotta be joking.
    See the 3gs and 4s are actually significant updates but the only thing that changed on either of them was specs. Apple has spent a long time telling people to not judge their products based on specs so it is hard for them to get their fans excited about a spec bump no matter how nice it is. The dissapointment from fans is that there is nothing new. It looks the same and there is nothing it can do that previous versions cannot, therefore to the apple fans it is underwhelming
    11-03-2011 10:39 AM
    I don't keep up with iPhone tech but how is the 3gs to 4s any more significant then the GN to another Android phone?

GN has ICS and everything associated with that face unlock, panorama pics, etc... bigger screen, better screen tech, faster processor, NFC, better optics, etc vs other Android phones. Seems fairly significant.
    11-03-2011 12:53 PM
    isn't the padfone rumored to come with a 5MP camera and no flash?

no response?
    11-03-2011 12:58 PM
    I don't keep up with iPhone tech but how is the 3gs to 4s any more significant then the GN to another Android phone?

GN has ICS and everything associated with that face unlock, panorama pics, etc... bigger screen, better screen tech, faster processor, NFC, better optics, etc vs other Android phones. Seems fairly significant.
    IMO hardware wise the nexus has nothing special..

it has ICS thats it. that is the big difference.
    11-03-2011 01:00 PM

Agreed.

I feel that way for every device out there for this year as well, too. Might as well grab a good one thats nothing special and enjoy bleeding edge software on it.
    qnet and crzycrkr like this.
    11-03-2011 01:04 PM
    Pretty big difference (From my vantage point)....
    11-03-2011 01:14 PM
    HD Super AMOLED and the OMAP4460 are firsts, though.....

Cant help but wonder if this is all about MP again.
    11-03-2011 01:15 PM

While I don't think its leaps and bounds above the currently available stuff the hardware improvements esp. to the optics are much needed.

Things like NFC aren't popular yet but until phones start using it it will never be popular.

And IMO the lack of hardware buttons is a move in the right direction.

Bigger screen too whether it be too big or not is opinion but more hardware.

Personally while ICS is a huge plus for me the changes in the hardware are what keep me waiting for this phone to be released. For example I love the Razr but I just know I'll hate have hardware keys a year from now when everything else doesn't by that time. Plus I'm terrified that moto didn't improve the camera from the bionic. The Xoom has a measly 5mp camera but takes a WAY better picture.
    11-03-2011 02:18 PM
    Agreed.

I feel that way for every device out there for this year as well, too. Might as well grab a good one thats nothing special and enjoy bleeding edge software on it.
    Yeah...That's probably the best way to look at it. The Nexus is at the very least competitive with any other phone out there. When you factor in the inclusion of a very nice camera, NFC, and no hardware buttons...It does make the Nexus fairly unique and probably the best overall phone purchase this year.
    11-03-2011 04:57 PM
    HD Super AMOLED and the OMAP4460 are firsts, though.....

Cant help but wonder if this is all about MP again.
    Just to add,

Also the 1 Gig of RAM is DDR. No idea if that's considered new in the world of mobile phones.

I think also the buttonless design should also be considered as a new hardware feature.

The GN is also suppose to have a 2nd Gen. LTE modem inside. (for the LTE version of course)

5MP camera...sure...but if you're smart and know what's up, it's the lens and internal sensors that make the difference. The GN has these goods.

All in all, I think that people are really under-appreciating the GN's hardware specs. They may not be impressive on paper, but in your hands I'm sure you will see the device really takeoff!
    11-03-2011 05:23 PM
    About the only thing that I'm disapointed about is a lack of an micro SD slot on the phone. Other than that, I'm fine with much of everything else. I think it will be nice to have a phone that is released with a current OS and not an OS which is almost a year old. It seems like our phone manufacturers and carriers drag their feet far longer than they should with getting updates rolled out to us.
    11-03-2011 05:38 PM
    Not disappointed about anything really. I guess I would like to have a true 4.65" usable screen (softkeys excluded) but oh well...I still can't wait to get it. I have a feeling this is going to be a respectable device a la the OG Droid.
    11-03-2011 06:00 PM
    This device is really really good. I almost can't believe the amount of "Meh" I'm hearing about it.

The lack of a microSD can be bothersome to some, yes. But now that I think about it, I never changed SD cards on either my G1 or Vibrant. And I have a 16 GB Galaxy Tab that I have movies, games, and emulators/roms on. I use Google Music Beta for my music consumption on-the-go. I'd be perfectly fine with a 16 GB Nexus, and if it's 32, even better.

The camera is only 5 mp. That does not mean the sensor is weaker/of less quality/worse. The only reason you should be concerned about this is if you are blowing pictures up to make posters out of. And even if you were, you probably already have a high-end point and shoot or a DSLR for that. Have you seen the pictures/videos this thing can take? They are absolutely gorgeous!

The processor is only 1.2. So what? I'm figuring you'll be able to OC if you want. What more did you want at this point? Quad core? Absolutely nothing is coded to take advantage of 4 cores yet. And I bet if Google/Samsung announced that they were going to wait until the OMAP5 or even the 4470 for next year and not release the Nexus, everyone would be up in arms about it.

The screen is pentile. So what? Have you heard one person who has seen it so far said it looks bad? The first looks all say the screen is amazing. Don't believe the negative hype regarding pentile just because the Bionic has a crappy screen. It has a crappy screen for other reasons as well.

The point I'm trying to make is that Android in this case is perfectly optimized for the specific device, from Google themselves. It looks like it runs with nary a hiccup. A lot of the people who were in NYC were describing how laggy the ReZound is, even with that beefy 1.5 Ghz S3....software optimization goes a long way.
    11-03-2011 06:51 PM
    Not disappointed about anything really. I guess I would like to have a true 4.65" usable screen (softkeys excluded) but oh well...I still can't wait to get it. I have a feeling this is going to be a respectable device a la the OG Droid.
    That's funny because, it has me wondering something. I wonder if it had a 5" screen yet 4.65' was the usable space and, the whole 5" was only available for watching vids, would people be disappointed if that didn't have the whole 5" for everything.

I'm thinking people wouldn't be disappointed if they advertised it as a 4.65" screen but, it was actually 5". Then it would be a nice surprise when the software buttons disappeared for a video.
    crzycrkr likes this.
    11-03-2011 06:55 PM
    Re: lack of sd card...

What about apps that allow you to back up your data to the sd card in case your phone or app fails? I've needed to restore data a number of time on apps for various reasons and I've always been relieved to have the sd card for this reason. How will this be possible on a phone with no removable memory? Will we be able to back up our app data to a cloud? I only think of the cloud as being a place for music, documents, ebooks, etc.,

This is my only reservation re the GN.

Thanks!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    11-03-2011 07:02 PM
182 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD