Is anyone else dissapointed with the specs?

kprz24

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
With new phones being released clocked at 1.4 and 1.5Ghz and 1.8Ghz plus and quadcore right around the corner does a 1.2 really cut it. And i know numbers arent everything when were speaking about the camera but with the cpu i feel differntly. So with the camera, phones have been 8mp and now were seeinfront facing cameras at 2mp why downgrade? Everything else seems amazing. I was a little dissapointed about the gorrilla glass and im sure there would plenty i would add if i could make that decision but does anyone have confirmation on an sd slot maby a picture under the battery cover?

nickmo

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
No mention of SD slot in the tear down article on Engadget.

I was in the same boat a week ago, looking at these numbers and feeling underwhelmed. But by now I am better informed and not worried anymore. I just want this phone in my hands.

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
No. I'm not disappointed that specs that are rumored to appear in mid 2012 aren't in the Nexus. That would make no sense. I don't understand what people don't get about this. If rumored specs for the next wave of devices is not in a current release, it does not make the release obsolete (i.e. no quad core in the Nexus.)

We know it's a native 1.5 chip clocked to 1.2 in the Nexus, most likely for power management. It's going to be fine.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
No, I'm thrilled with the specs and can't wait to get this phone. I will say that a number of the specs you referenced are just vapor ware at this point and have not actually been produced. Reading about a device that says it's going to have this or that doesn't make it magically appear. One they start talking about something new, everyone claims that as the new standard, when in reality it may be 6 to 18 months before you can exchange dollars for a physical device.

Reactions: crzycrkr

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Something needs to bridge the gap between the what I have now & that "next best thing", and I can't think of a better phone to do that than a stock Android ICS phone with a 720p screen.

If it's fast with no lag, has a gorgeous screen, and functions well as a phone, then all those Ghz's, cores, and megapixels mean nothing to me. It's a bunch of marketing hype and checkboxes and nothing more.

Too much negative press has been given to a phone running an OS that will probably blow the socks off everything out there. It can't be compared to the Galaxy S II, Razr, iOS, or anything else for that matter. OS optimization, dual core support, and the lack of being bogged down with a bunch of custom UI's, manufacture software, and carrier bloatware are what most matters.

I suppose if someone wants that bloatware it might be a good idea to wait for a 1.8Ghz plus quadcore phone to hit the market. If not, I don't think you need to worry too much about making a bad decision with the Galaxy Nexus.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I am not. 1.5Ghz may show some improvement on speed quandrant tests but I doubt I will notice any difference between 1.2 and 1.5Ghz My current device tops at 500Mhz. It has recently become laggy but that is probably because I am running multiple apps that are designed to run in more than the 256meg the phone has...Yet it continues to run them.. probably a testament to the Android system.

Camera - I have a 5MP camera on my current phone and a 5MP dedicated camera. The dedicated takes better pics than the phone camera and will probably continue to take better pics than any 8MP phone camera on the market, so MP size is not what makes the difference.

Quad core...? Well I will get this phone now and then in November 2013 when the Sextuplet core phone is ready to be released I will be able to upgrade to that. Two years from now we might have something else altogether different than any phone we can imagine.

These are only phones..it's just not a matter of life and death for me.

Many folks are happy with their iPhones and they don't even know specs from smecs so imo it's more about how the phone does what you need it to do.

For me no problem with the specs.

Last edited:

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
This device obviously isnt for you. 1.5ghz? really? phones already have bad enough battery life as it is 1.2GHz is fine for now. 8mp camera? I am starting to think that people know ABSOLUTELY nothing about cameras and just think the more MP's the better. Anyone that even mentions it doesn't have a clue.... MP's dont mean ANYTHING in photography just bigger pictures. Quality is what you want and the Nexus is going to have the best. and Gorilla glass? you do understand that its just a brand name for fortified glass? this phone has fortified glass. end.of.story.

Just go watch some videos and then come back and complain. the phone is blazing fast with no issues that i have seen besides some slight bugs that are being worked out.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
it all depends on how it functions and performs, the camera and cpu arent worth worrying about.

Battery Life,
Signal,
Screen Protection,
SD card slot/Storage Capacity,

are a few things worth worrying about.. but what app is going to make use of a quad core 1.5ghz chip?

plus ICS is optimized.. I highly doubt if the nexus gets post-launch complaints they are going to have anything to do with its speed.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
My Nexus S is single core 1.0 and it's way way faster than a Droid Bionic which is dual core. I have no doubt that a Nexus device with a dual core 1.2 will destroy any non Pure Google phone on the market for the next year.

There is way more to perceived speed than just the GHz and the Nexus line has a good advantage because it isn't blurred/wizzed/sensed up with a side of bloat like the "better" speced phones you see out right now.

Additionally the Nexus line is only a spec beast if that's what the software it's designed to showcase requires. The Nexus One was well speced for the time because those speced were required by Android. The Nexus S wasn't because it didn't need to be.

So no, I'm not disappointed, very much the opposite. I also don't think it's fair to judge the performance of any device based purely on numbers without using the device. More goes into race cars than just a big engine.

The camera, it's not about MP anymore, it's about sensor size and quality. You judge the quality of a camera simply by the photos that it takes and every demo photo I have seen looks damn good.

The lack of gorilla glass, well it has fortified glass, Corning doesn't have the market on glass that doesn't scratch.

Reactions: crzycrkr

Mr. Poppalopolis

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
All of these threads are pretty funny...

Most of the people on these forums have never held or even seen a Galaxy Nexus with their own eyes, yet people complain about how terrible of a phone it is. At least be happy it's not just a NS with a better CPU (like the 4S).

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Nope. I am just relaxing doing a little of the below until the phone officially drops on Verizon.

corona800x6001-780292.jpg

mstraw9379

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Only one thing. Lack of SD card.
However, since I can't upgrade til the end of the year (Dec 29) I will look at the phone, get it in my hands at the Verizon store and see if I can overlook that one flaw (in my opinion).

I'm loving that camera. No shutter lag, panoramic pics.

I've got to play with this phone when it comes out.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance