Is anyone else dissapointed with the specs?

Poopai

Banned
Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
you're missing the point. what i'm saying is that android phones get released every time you glance at a weekly best buy ad. and a lot of people on these forums freak out about the latest phone that's going to get released and can't decide what to get. but by the time it gets a few weeks before the phone they wanted gets released, they ponder whether to wait for that next phone on the horizon because somehow the phone they originally wanted seems outdated "spec wise".

You're missing my point, which is that those android phones which come out every week are generally exactly the same as the phone you're already looking at, or are so incrementally better as to be not worth the wait.

what i'm saying is that the galaxy nexus is that future proof type of phone that you can live with for a long period of time and not worry too much about the quad-cores, the tegra 3's, etc.

The Nexus is one of the least future proof phones, coming out so late in the yearly "worthy" spec cycle.

reflekt2099

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
You're missing my point, which is that those android phones which come out every week are generally exactly the same as the phone you're already looking at, or are so incrementally better as to be not worth the wait.

The Nexus is one of the least future proof phones, coming out so late in the yearly "worthy" spec cycle.

actually, i disregarded your "point" cuz it doesn't make any logical sense, so it wasn't really worth acknowledging. it's a fact, a lot of people stress about "incremental" improvements on newer phones. would your rather have a 1.0Ghz phone? or a 1.5Ghz phone? would you rather have a single core or dual core? 512mb of RAM? or 1GB of RAM? PowerVR? or Mali-400?

the galaxy nexus, in my opinion, is the best future proof phone that I can feel comfortable purchasing, and using for the next 2 years without missing out on any "incremental" or significant features that phones in the near future will start to have in the masses.

so i'm guessing you ARE dissappointed in the Galaxy Nexus and NOT purchasing it? you're decision. but i'm going to be happy with my purchase of the galaxy nexus.

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
actually, i disregarded your "point" cuz it doesn't make any logical sense, so it wasn't really worth acknowledging. it's a fact, a lot of people stress about "incremental" improvements on newer phones. would your rather have a 1.0Ghz phone? or a 1.5Ghz phone? would you rather have a single core or dual core? 512mb of RAM? or 1GB of RAM? PowerVR? or Mali-400?

the galaxy nexus, in my opinion, is the best future proof phone that I can feel comfortable purchasing, and using for the next 2 years without missing out on any "incremental" or significant features that phones in the near future will start to have in the masses.

so i'm guessing you ARE dissappointed in the Galaxy Nexus and NOT purchasing it? you're decision. but i'm going to be happy with my purchase of the galaxy nexus.

He's just disappointed that the nexus is coming out in time for the holiday shopping season instead of waiting for kal-el. He is saying that the 1.2ghz dual core SoC is only marginally better than what was available earlier in the year and that waiting for kal-el would be a bigger jump over what is available now. There is a point to be had for this, but google wants a phone to showcase ics and I would rather have the galaxy nexus release as it is and have ics now, then have ics wait for quad core SoCs, which as I have detailed elsewhere will not be that big of a jump in the vast majority of circumstances

Poopai

Banned
Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
it's a fact, a lot of people stress about "incremental" improvements on newer phones.

And they are wrong to do so. However, you are wrongly comparing the coming improvement to an incremental upgrade. This is the yearly upgrade coming, something which is worth stressing over and waiting for.

How did you come to that conclusion when a non-incremental upgrade is the one that's around the corner?

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Just to be argumentative...HTC makes panorama shots just as easy and has at least two phones with zero shutter lag. The Rezound will likely be the same way.
Lil off topic, from the performance of those 2 htc cams, you noted. I'm interested to see how the new Vivid shoots 1080p @ 60fps.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
really? hmm...I don't see how there's "two years with incremental on and off years" for the iPhone.

iPhone - 2007
iPhone 3G - June 9, 2008
iPhone 3GS - June 8, 2009
iPhone 4 - June 7, 2010
iPhone 4S - October 14, 2011

like I said, the iPhone has an almost yearly cycle.

I think he was getting at they do a major update every other year. That's how it looks. The 4s is not much different than the 4. I'm sure the 5 will have a new look and neat things. Then a minor update for something like a 5q.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Yes, and my OG Droid "keeps up" with the Nexus S and will also keep up with the Galaxy Nexus. Shenanigans. Specs and benchmarks ARE what matter because there is hardly a day to day difference in anything else.

Perhaps you should buy an original iPhone off Ebay if specs and benchmarks aren't what matter to you. You'll save a lot of money.

Wow, just, wow. Again and again you prove your ignorance. The OG Droid keeps up with the Nexus? Lmao! There is no noticeable difference in say to day performance between the NS and any of the 3 dual cores I've put it up against. The first one that even made me think of giving it up was the SGSII. If you really believe performance is equated on paper, then buy for specs, but again, you're wrong. Maybe you're the one who should buy the iPhone, because you obviously have no clue about Android phones, lol.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site

Lmao, wow, more ignorance. Keep shoveling, lol

obi5683

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Would have really liked a Nexus, but I think I'm going to wait for the Padfone which was just said to come in February with quad-core and a tablet dock.

If the Nexus came with 1.5ghz (I know the 4460 is rated for 1.5ghz and I can clock it to that, but rooting is too bothersome because I can't update with it) and a competitive GPU, I'd get it, but that not being the case and it being rather cheap and ugly make me lean towards waiting. Also, megapixels do matter. The 5 MP pics don't look anything special, and I like to zoom around my pictures. I'd rather have more MP than a quick shutter.

Quality over quantity. I guarantee that my Galaxy Nexus will take better photos than my Droid Incredible. Rooting is not hard and the day an update comes out, someone has a rooted version. With root comes flexibility.

I really want to know what people expect to run on their phones with a high end GPU. Software is usually built for the lowest common denominator, or even somewhere in the middle. Only games designed specifically for Tegra chipsets are designed to push the GPU.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm lost on how the Galaxy Nexus is only an "incremental" upgrade. It's the only phone that will have ICS for the foreseeable future. It performs well in benchmarks (see my thread in the non-branded forum). And it will be the only phone that gives a pure Android experience for at least a year.

I guess you can wait for releases from Moto or HTC with "better" specs and their own launchers.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm lost on how the Galaxy Nexus is only an "incremental" upgrade. It's the only phone that will have ICS for the foreseeable future. It performs well in benchmarks (see my thread in the non-branded forum). And it will be the only phone that gives a pure Android experience for at least a year.

I guess you can wait for releases from Moto or HTC with "better" specs and their own launchers.

Don't mind him. He's the one who's lost

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes, and my OG Droid "keeps up" with the Nexus S and will also keep up with the Galaxy Nexus. Shenanigans. Specs and benchmarks ARE what matter because there is hardly a day to day difference in anything else.

Perhaps you should buy an original iPhone off Ebay if specs and benchmarks aren't what matter to you. You'll save a lot of money.

Whoa Whoa Whoa, slow down there. You must be smoking some of that good stuff. The OG droid is so slow that even at 1 gig it has notable stutter between home screens, apps takes forever to open, the ram is so small that it can't run more than 2 programs at once, and graphic heavy games won't even run on it due to limited ram. Its so slow in fact that the crt off animation in the gingerbread roms is slow!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: crzycrkr

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Software optimization and battery technology needs to come quite a way before better hardware will be useful to anyone.

Here is my example of software optimization.

iOS 5 Brings Major Browsing Speed Boosts to Safari

And, well we all know how bad the battery can be. The 4460 in the GN is natively clocked at 1.5 but tuned back whether that's for battery or not Google decided the dev phone didn't even need more speed and i can't blame them. Emulators are the only thing that I've ever over locked for and actually noticed very slight benefits.

Plus even if the super quadcore phone came out tomorrow it would be at the very least 6-8 months before there was an update to actually utilize all four cores. It would be like the current dual cores that aren't much faster then non dualcores and certainly not near double the speed in benchmarks that they should be.

So while I'm sure I'd want it, not for a year or so until its useful. And I'm not waiting a year when there is great stuff coming out now.

Megapixels are important yes, but ni where near as important as the optics it uses for the pic esp. when it comes to zooming. This is easily shown with none camera optics. Compare a 5 dollar set of binoculars to a 600 dollar set with the same zoom level. One will be blurry and near useless and you'll say to yourself "no wonder these were free in a box of cereal" the other will be focused and crystal clear.

Just look at the 8mp bionic vs the 5mp iPhone 4. There is no comparison, not even close. The iPhone had superior optics and it showed.

Don't fall for all the marketing hype. Buy what works. If it takes a beautiful picture and the processor can run every app ever made what is there to wait for?

I'm as geeky as the next guy and having something just because its faster is fine but in reality the wait for it will be too long and there will always be something better coming out....

Reactions: crzycrkr

obi5683

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

What isn't future proof about a phone that will get Jellybean shortly after it's released (sooner than any phone that is not being released with JB stock) and run that like a champ?

kashabrown

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Software optimization and battery technology needs to come quite a way before better hardware will be useful to anyone.

Here is my example of software optimization.

iOS 5 Brings Major Browsing Speed Boosts to Safari

And, well we all know how bad the battery can be. The 4460 in the GN is natively clocked at 1.5 but tuned back whether that's for battery or not Google decided the dev phone didn't even need more speed and i can't blame them. Emulators are the only thing that I've ever over locked for and actually noticed very slight benefits.

Plus even if the super quadcore phone came out tomorrow it would be at the very least 6-8 months before there was an update to actually utilize all four cores. It would be like the current dual cores that aren't much faster then non dualcores and certainly not near double the speed in benchmarks that they should be.

So while I'm sure I'd want it, not for a year or so until its useful. And I'm not waiting a year when there is great stuff coming out now.

Megapixels are important yes, but ni where near as important as the optics it uses for the pic esp. when it comes to zooming. This is easily shown with none camera optics. Compare a 5 dollar set of binoculars to a 600 dollar set with the same zoom level. One will be blurry and near useless and you'll say to yourself "no wonder these were free in a box of cereal" the other will be focused and crystal clear.

Just look at the 8mp bionic vs the 5mp iPhone 4. There is no comparison, not even close. The iPhone had superior optics and it showed.

Don't fall for all the marketing hype. Buy what works. If it takes a beautiful picture and the processor can run every app ever made what is there to wait for?

I'm as geeky as the next guy and having something just because its faster is fine but in reality the wait for it will be too long and there will always be something better coming out....

VERY well said. If you wait for the "latest/greatest" you will never buy what is available.

I am into the latest tech too, but you have to "fish or cut bait" and make what you buy work for you the way you need it to work.

This new software/hardware combination in the GN seems to have most of what I need compared to other platforms. I was disappointed that Microsoft/Nokia could not come up with a "windows phone" solution for the holidays this year (on Verizon). I would have looked at the HTC Titan, but it will not be released on Verizon. That being said, I think that the ICS and GN will probably have a better experience than anything that MS/NokIa puts out in the near future.

We all struggle with these decisions, but you have to just "do it" and make the decision!

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
How big are the music files you have that 32 gb isn't enough?

I have more music files than you would probably believe if I told you. When I was a very young man I considered music as a profession. I didn't end up doing that but some of my friends did. Some became very "famous". I still play a lot with them and I have a lot of recordings that were done with a bunch of us just sitting around making music.

I fly quite a bit for business and also to go to music gigs, either as an attendee and sometimes to visit friends who are playing a gig. This may not be important for some but having my music available on my phone or ipod or whatever is a no compromise deal for me. I do have an old 120gb ipod classic that I could start using again (if I can find it), but I prefer to not be carrying so much stuff with me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463