Is anyone else dissapointed with the specs?

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
If every possible operation on Nexus runs smooth as butter, would you still feel disappointed with the "specs"?
Why are people constantly getting caught up with specs more than anything else the ICS/hardware user experience?! If Google exclusively designed Nexus with Samsung, cherry picked the every single component, and then highly optimized their cutting edge ICS operating system to run in perfect harmony, why would you in your right mind be disappointed? It probably runs smoother than the most specced phone ever made including SGS2 loaded with all kinds of last gen skins, etc...
:confused: It's just mind boggling to me..

Reactions: crzycrkr

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I never claimed to desire an absolutely futureproofed phone, just one a year more futureproofed than the Galaxy Nexus. So you speak of shadows which never walked this world.

And I view futureproofness more in terms of hardware than software, so updates don't matter to me as much as strength of the hardware.

So future proofed but not too future proofed now? Okay

Well lets look at past phones that have seemed to last the longest......darnt, all developers phones! What you believe future proofs a phone and what actually does are different things. One is your opinion, and one is fact.

Why don't you just wait for a quad core phone or whatever (ignoring the fact the first dualcores weren't as future proofed as the single core developers phones) and be happy with it?

You really have to ignore history entirely for your loguc to make sense but that doesn't mean you have to get the GN. Get something else......please.....its really no big deal tons of great phones coming out.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
If every possible operation on Nexus runs smooth as butter, would you still feel disappointed with the "specs"?
Why are people constantly getting caught up with specs more than anything else the ICS/hardware user experience?! If Google exclusively designed Nexus with Samsung, cherry picked the every single component, and then highly optimized their cutting edge ICS operating system to run in perfect harmony, why would you in your right mind be disappointed? It probably runs smoother than the most specced phone ever made including SGS2 loaded with all kinds of last gen skins, etc...

Some people are very susceptible to clever marketing. No idea what megapixels and processor cores are but know they need to have them....

Poopai

Banned
Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
So future proofed but not too future proofed now? Okay
I never stated a measured desire of futureproofedness other than implying the desire for a device with a year's newer hardware than the Nexus, which aligns with the claim for exactly that which I just made. So again, sir, you speak of shadows.

Well lets look at past phones that have seemed to last the longest......darnt, all developers phones! What you believe future proofs a phone and what actually does are different things. One is your opinion, and one is fact.

Why don't you just wait for a quad core phone or whatever (ignoring the fact the first dualcores weren't as future proofed as the single core developers phones) and be happy with it?

You really have to ignore history entirely for your loguc to make sense but that doesn't mean you have to get the GN. Get something else......please.....its really no big deal tons of great phones coming out.

This is all in the light of valuing software more than hardware in the realm of futureproofedness, a value which I do not hold, and instead hold its opposite.

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
specs are just specs I think we know this by now. You guys have to realize faster processors are always going to come out but it's how the OS uses those processors that really makes the end experience great and we will get that with the G-nex (btw I love that name). Plus we get an AWESOME 720p Super AMOLED which I'm extremely excited for. The RAZR and Rezound look enticing but the G-nex and ICS are a no brainer for me at this point. I'm quit tired of custom skins, not saying they are bad at all, but I need some stock android again.

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Some people are very susceptible to clever marketing. No idea what megapixels and processor cores are but know they need to have them....

Haha this is exactly what we learned in my microeconomics class, it's quite genius because people buy into it everyday.

Poopai

Banned
Jul 7, 2011
Visit site

I call shenanigans on this "optimization". It's a fluff word imo. It doesn't have any real meaning. Kind of like free will.

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't know what I people expect. Quad core isn't out for phones yet, exynos is in low supply. The processor we got is a pretty nice dual core that's just overclocked and will out perform the snap dragon 3 in the rezound.

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I call shenanigans on this "optimization". It's a fluff word imo. It doesn't have any real meaning. Kind of like free will.
Sure just look at iOS... Tell me that isn't a polished smooth running OS.. Why? Because it's tightly integrated with specific hardware, controlled by Apple.
Google does the same thing. They make ONE PHONE PER YEAR where they tightly control hardware OEM, pick every possible component, and then tightly optimize their code for that specific hardware to give their users clean and beautiful user experience, the way they meant it to be.
Then they release the source code to OEMs that mess with it, bloat it and usually sell a completely different user experience.

Unless you're benching your phone 24/7 and get off on stuff like that, there is no way in the world that any other similarly specced phone will run ICS as smooth as Google's own Nexus for a while.
Once the next generation components start popping out we'll see better performance, but you'll get a solid 6-10 months of top notch cutting edge ICS experience out of the Nexus, you can bet on that.

Last edited:

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site

So you are trolling then right? We post proof of the vast improvements of software optimization has made to apple and other devices you ignore and say the word shenanigans as if it was 2004 and that was funny or witty.

Vote to close the thread that's purpose is purely open for argument .....

Poopai

Banned
Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
So you are trolling then right? We post proof of the vast improvements of software optimization has made to apple and other devices you ignore and say the word shenanigans as if it was 2004 and that was funny or witty.

Sure just look at iOS... Tell me that isn't a polished smooth running OS.. Why? Because it's tightly integrated with specific hardware, controlled by Apple.
Google does the same thing. They make ONE PHONE PER YEAR where they tightly control hardware OEM, pick every possible component, and then tightly optimize their code for that specific hardware to tie their users clean and beautiful user experience, the way they meant it to be.
Then they release the source code to OEMs that mess with it, bloat it and usually sell a completely different user experience.

Unless you're benching your phone 24/7 and get off on stuff like that, there is no way in the world that any other similarly specced phone will run ICS as smooth as Google's own Nexus for a while.
Once the next generation components start popping out we'll see better performance, but you'll get a solid 6-10 months of top notch cutting edge ICS experience out of the Nexus, you can bet on that.

The iPhone is smooth because it's just an app launcher.

Vote to close the thread that's purpose is purely open for argument .....

What's wrong with argument? The ancient philosophers didn't think life was worth living without argument and examination of one's positions.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone is smooth because it's just an app launcher and that's it.

What's wrong with argument? The ancient philosophers didn't think life was worth living without argument and examination of one's positions.

You aren't arguing or debating. You refuse to take notice of anything being said...

"The iPhone is smooth because its just an app launcher and that's it" ?!?!! What does this have anything to do with the vast speed increase it experienced in graphical benchmarks going from iOS 4 to iOS 5?

For some reason I thought I was talking to several people that didn't get it, not one person refusing to research anything anyone else is saying ir even understand what they themselves were saying....megapixels and cores with no mention of optics or multi threading?

Shenanigans?

No thanks, that just someone trying to start an argument/fight rather then have a civilized debate.

I apologize for wasting everyone's time in this thread....

Poopai

Banned
Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
You aren't arguing or debating. You refuse to take notice of anything being said...

"The iPhone is smooth because its just an app launcher and that's it" ?!?!! What does this have anything to do with the vast speed increase it experienced in graphical benchmarks going from iOS 4 to iOS 5?

For some reason I thought I was talking to several people that didn't get it, not one person refusing to research anything anyone else is saying ir even understand what they themselves were saying....megapixels and cores with no mention of optics or multi threading?

Shenanigans?

No thanks, that just someone trying to start an argument/fight rather then have a civilized debate.

I apologize for wasting everyone's time in this thread....

I do not contest that code can be improved, but rather that it is being "optimized" for specific hardware like an OMAP 4460 over a Tegra 2.

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I do not contest that code can be improved, but rather that it is being "optimized" for specific hardware like an OMAP 4460 over a Tegra 2.

Still caught up with the hardware nonsense... See in computer science and technology hardware is only half of the experience.
Unless you're a carpenter or a construction worker where you learned that only the best hardware will give you "the edge"... In that case, I completely understand why you're so lost when it comes to smartphones...

Poopai

Banned
Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Still caught up with the hardware nonsense... See in computer science and technology hardware is only half of the experience.
Unless you're a carpenter or a construction worker where you learned that only the best hardware will give you "the edge"... In that case, I completely understand how you might feel.

I don't think that only the best hardware will give me the edge. I think having a phone with the same software as the Nexus plus a quad-core will give me the edge.

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't think that only the best hardware will give me the edge. I think having a phone with the same software as the Nexus plus a quad-core will give me the edge.

I'm sure it will, but not only a quad-core smartphone SoC is not available, but no manufacturing mill in the entire world has produced a single stable sample. OEMs have no access to that technology as of today.
So yeah, I'm sure Hexa-Core will run amazing on ICS, except right now that technology simply isn't existent.