Is anyone else dissapointed with the specs?

Poopai

Banned
Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure it will, but not only a quad-core smartphone SoC is not available, but no manufacturing mill in the entire world has produced a single stable sample. OEMs have no access to that technology as of today.
So yeah, I'm sure Hexa-Core will run amazing on ICS, except right now that technology simply isn't existent.

Indeed, which is why I am in the processing of waiting for its availability, rather than purchasing a dual core phone at the end of the dual core cycle.

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Indeed, which is why I am in the processing of waiting for its availability, rather than purchasing a dual core phone at the end of the dual core cycle.

Cool! I admire your patience as it'll be a very long wait.
Also Dual Core SoC technology for smartphones is currently at it's peak, processors are less power hungry, way more mature, and are much better performers in general than it's first generation cousins.

Reactions: crzycrkr

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Disagreement is always good but calling each other a troll and stupid is just not allowed here. Lets tone that part down and carry on with the topic.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Cool! I admire your patience as it'll be a very long wait.
Also Dual Core SoC technology for smartphones is currently at it's peak, processors are less power hungry, way more mature, and are much better performers in general than it's first generation cousins.

To me that wait might not be long enouh. As alluring as quad core sounds in mobile devices. Given that dual core tech. has had an effect on pricing @ Verizon. Not sure I really wanna find out the asking price on their first quad core offering. I might just go the way of the ostrich for that announcement.

Poopai

Banned
Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
To me that wait might not be long enouh. As alluring as quad core sounds in mobile devices. Given that dual core tech. has had an effect on pricing @ Verizon. Not sure I really wanna find out the asking price on their first quad core offering. I might just go the way of the ostrich for that announcement.

I think the pricing is more for 4g.

Poopai

Banned
Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
You think that you will see quad core devices in February?

Well, thats interesting.
Frebruary or March, yes, especially if the Transformer Prime hits its mark of coming out by the end of the year.

Anyway, the grass is always greener. You can play the waiting game for something newer every time.
Not if you only play the waiting game with the yearly cycle that comes with large upgrades. It's just like deciding whether to wait for the new iPhone.

You call it the end of a dual core era, I call it the beginning of 'software that can use the dual core' era.
Also the beginning of software that can use quad-core, so regardless of whether dual-core can finally be utilized, it's still going to be phased out for quad-core and be better for it.

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Well, interesting theory.

Hope it pans out.

Myself, I think I will enjoy a Galaxy Nexus now.

PS--Dual core won't be phased out for another 4-6 months, maybe even longer. I am 100% sure of that. The OMAP 4470 hasn't even been used in any devices yet and the 4460 is just now starting.

Poopai

Banned
Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, interesting theory.

Hope it pans out.

Myself, I think I will enjoy a Galaxy Nexus now.

PS--Dual core won't be phased out for another 4-6 months, maybe even longer. I am 100% sure of that. The OMAP 4470 hasn't even been used in any devices yet and the 4460 is just now starting.

I don't think the 4470 will even be used, and the 4460 might not even be used in any other device than the Nexus. Everyone will just go to 1ghz quad-core like everyone went to 1ghz dual-core. And unlike the 4470, quad-core already has a device it is used in, that being the Transformer Prime which Asus has said will come out this year, though it could very well delay.

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Moore's law. Since the early 70's processing power has DOUBLED every 18 months.
Just a quick nitpcik because I see this get misused all the time, Moore's Law has absolutely nothing to do with processing power. It states that the number of transistors we can fit onto a die doubles every 18 months, the last couple of cycles we have seen this translate to an increase in power of around 30%, and this decreases each cycle.

This is all in the light of valuing software more than hardware in the realm of futureproofedness, a value which I do not hold, and instead hold its opposite.
So if I offered you a choice between a sandy bridge based system running windows 7 and early access to an ivy bridge based system but it had to run windows 95 (hypothetically) you would choose ivy/win95 over sandy/win7?

phantomash

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Or February.

Or June.

Asus prime is a tablet not a phone, and it won't be coming out that soon on phone.

Trsut me when I say I have been in the same shoe as you are in now, that was when the first dual core is about to be launched. However considering that single core devices are still plenty out there, I highly doubt that dual core will go "obsolete" any time soon.

Plus the fact that I consider the Gnex to be the best dual core phone so far thanks to its tight software hardware integration, if i were to pick pne phone now to use for at least a year time, it would be this phone. Chances are I would very well be enjoying it until the next nexus comes out.

You can have your quad core phone, but when the next Nexus is out, it is going to triumph whatever phone you're having, and the cycle continues.

reflekt2099

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the 4470 will even be used, and the 4460 might not even be used in any other device than the Nexus. Everyone will just go to 1ghz quad-core like everyone went to 1ghz dual-core. And unlike the 4470, quad-core already has a device it is used in, that being the Transformer Prime which Asus has said will come out this year, though it could very well delay.

if the Galaxy Nexus runs ICS silky smooth with zero problems, what are you really complaining about? where is the negative in your discussion? just because of the technicality that Google didn't use a quad-core processor? if they used a quad-core processor, what would they have gained?

if the dual core 4460 runs the phone without a hitch, why is there such a huge concern from you? IF the TI OMAP 4460 ran ICS with known significant problems with lag, or battery issues, etc. then i can understand there being a concern with the hardware specs. but you're basically just complaining about specs on a sheet of paper without actually being concerned with the way the device functions in every day situations.

you're worried that because the galaxy nexus doesn't have a quad-core processor (which btw, is the ONLY thing you've been complaining about) that it's going to be a waste of money to purchase and that you'd be stuck with old, out-dated, and incapable hardware.

do you see anyone complaining about the A5 processor and that it's only running at 800Mhz and is only a dual-core processor? of course not. why? because it runs iOS5 silky smooth (which btw, you call just an "app launcher". if iOS5 is just an app launcher, what is android? just an "app launcher with widgets"?). who would even care if the A5 was quad-core or not? as long as it runs the software and the phone without a hitch, which it does. and the same applies to the Galaxy Nexus.

you wanna wait for a quad-core phone? that's your decision. the rest of us will get the Galaxy Nexus, enjoy it and love it, while you're twiddling your thumbs waiting to, in your own words, "Buy the first phone of the yearly cycle." YUP!

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
So if I offered you a choice between a sandy bridge based system running windows 7 and early access to an ivy bridge based system but it had to run windows 95 (hypothetically) you would choose ivy/win95 over sandy/win7?

Heck, I'm fine with a 3 year old laptop computer running Windows 7 because it's so much better than Vista that the laptop actually runs better now that I have Windows 7 on it.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
you wanna wait for a quad-core phone? that's your decision. the rest of us will get the Galaxy Nexus, enjoy it and love it, while you're twiddling your thumbs waiting to, in your own words, "Buy the first phone of the yearly cycle." YUP!

Plus what doesn't make sense about his argument is that if he has a single-core phone right now, he's already behind in the game as it is. So do you want to be 2 cycles behind for 6 months at the beginning or only 1 cycle behind for 6 months at the end? I didn't care that I only had a single-core phone when I bought the Thunderbolt because it had LTE and that was where I was going to notice the biggest speed difference.

Now that they have a dual-core LTE phone with software that is optimized to run on dual-core phones, I don't think I'll have any issues whatsoever.

MMcCraryNJ

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site

This.

Tweaks/OS optimizations absolutely trump pure specs. And unlike the fantasy-land idea of "more cores is always better!", we've seen it being absolutely proven time and time again. Biggest proof? Look at the Galaxy S vs Nexus S. Exact same processor and memory. But you take a stock GS and put it up against a stock NS, even with both running Gingerbread, and the Nexus will blow it out of the water in real-world usage.

Also, if he had this same mindset last year (Why would I buy the Nexus S now? I'll just wait 2 months and get the first dual-core model), he would have the G2X instead of the Nexus S. Yeah, I'd take the NS over the G2X any day of the week.

Sorry bro, your arguments really don't hold up.

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I would just like to say thank you for the comic relief. I literally "LOL" many times reading this thread.

You fear my truth, and speaking of shadows which have not walked this earth... were the cream.

Again, thank you!! Made my day!!

*customized tapatalk signature*

Reactions: crzycrkr