11-03-2011 05:03 PM
66 123
tools
    ^^^ yes, moto said they would have an upgrade plan within 6 weeks, not an upgrade. I do think that the upgrade time will be quick (the nexus and razr use almost identical hardware), it really depends on how much time and money moto wants to waste on the soon to be dead blur
    Moto will not be the issue that drags out the update time frame. It will be Verizon. After it's completed, Verizon has to test it and add in their own bloat. I would guess you're looking at a bare minimum of 8 to 12 weeks before they are done. Then it will start to trickle out, and people will start having crashes and reboots (most likely due to changes that Verizon has made in adding their bloat). Then Verizon will pull the update and your looking at another 8 to 12 weeks before they attempt to fix it and start over again. Has anyone forgotten that this is the way it always works? Look at all the devices released in the last 10 or 12 months that don't even have Gingerbread.
    11-02-2011 12:12 PM
    I keep seeing this.

Verizon doesn't add bloat. They send the applications to Motorola, and Motorola adds it.

This goes for other companies as well.

Verizon also doesn't code the bloat. They outsource it.
    11-02-2011 12:16 PM
    I keep seeing this.

Verizon doesn't add bloat. They send the applications to Motorola, and Motorola adds it.

This goes for other companies as well.

Verizon also doesn't code the bloat. They outsource it.
    That makes sense, but you still end up in the same place...release the update, stop the release do to problems, fix it, re-release it, stop the release, fix it, re-release, etc...
    11-02-2011 12:20 PM
    Correct. But they do the update for the phone and bloat at the same time.

Still the long turnaround time for all that testing, where they still miss a ton of things.
    11-02-2011 12:29 PM
    I would remind everyone claiming a six month update time for other phones that Motorola has already announced that they plan to release ICS for their current devices 6 weeks after ICS launches.

However, the real question is will Verizon be willing to pay Motorola for the updates if Motorola succeeds in such a quick port.
    I don't believe them. They lied to us for months about our 4G LTE upgrades.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    11-02-2011 12:34 PM
    The 4S is lame as hell and iOS is a glorified app launcher...fight the power. If you get it, you'll be bored with it and its 3.5" screen in less than a week.
    LOL. Funny but honest.
    11-02-2011 04:22 PM
    I'm losing the battle guys, the other day I got so fed up with my Droid 1, that i went and ordered the 64GB iPhone 4S which is set to ship out on the 18th.

I can still cancel my order, but now I just found out that the Nexus may not launch until AFTER Black Friday.....

Help....I need.....to stick to my guns.....

I've been waiting for MONTHS. I've been sitting on my upgrade since February! Ugh....it's just a phone, but it's so stressful.....
    Craigslist or ebay is a great place to pick up a used Charge or Revolution to tide you over until release, then when you upgrade, back to Craigslist or ebay the placeholder will go.

I've done this sort of thing for years.
    11-02-2011 04:25 PM
    I keep reading comments on different sites by people who can't wait any longer. They say that they will get the Razr or Iphone 4S. I guess this is what VZW wants. When I go to "MY Verizon" it has a link for me to order the Iphone 4S. I suppose they want to sell as many as those, along with the upcoming bloated phones as they can.

Can't wait for the day when I see the Galaxy nexus on there (My Verizon).
    11-02-2011 04:32 PM
    Craigslist or ebay is a great place to pick up a used Charge or Revolution to tide you over until release, then when you upgrade, back to Craigslist or ebay the placeholder will go.

I've done this sort of thing for years.
    Just don't pick up a charge, phone sucks bad.
    11-02-2011 07:56 PM
    I don't believe them. They lied to us for months about our 4G LTE upgrades.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    Lol, post some proof they said 4g LTE would be available prior to Sept. I seem to be one of the few people that knew in back in Feb - March that the upgrade wasn't coming out till Sept. Of course I called and asked instead of listening to forum RUMORS (that somehow become fact).
    11-02-2011 11:10 PM
    I have an original droid and its on its last legs at 2yr old. Still looks almost like new but theres times when it seizes up and the batteries dont hold their charge like they used to but its still a great little phone. I'm hanging in there for the Nexus. Its the only phone thats got my interest in these last 2 years. For the few that say they dont like the specs and they seem dated lol.. just keep waiting and you'll never get anything. This phone is a big step up and is going to be great
    11-03-2011 07:11 AM
    Verizon doesn't pay for updates.
    Anyway, PR nerds rarely dictate or comprehend development schedules. I will be SHOCKED if its 12 weeks after ICS launches, much less 6 weeks.
    Motorola/Verizon releasing a major OS update in six weeks (hahahahahahahah). puleeze. Six months after GN release is much more likely.

This is the reason I am holding off on the RAZR even though I much prefer Motorola hardware to Samsung. I am switching over from blackberry due to what I saw at that news conference relating to ICS and that (imo) the android OS seems to be "polished" now - had a froyo droid x and didn't like it much (then again, I didn't root or put custom software on it).

I don't care if the phone comes out today, tomorrow or sometime in December. Verizon said "before the end of the year" and that's good enough for me.

Oh - and one more thing - my work gave me an iphone 4. I don't want to stir this pot, but I have absolutely no use for this device as an email/texting/voice device. It drops calls constantly, the speaker sounds distorted and is not loud enough, I don't like I-Tunes at all, the email client is an absolute joke (FINALLY got the ability to mark emails as read, but still cannot mark ALL as read), screen is too small, no removable battery - I can go on and on and on about this device. I am going to add a line to my personal account and put the GN on it and have my work pay part of my monthly bill - so I can get rid of the iphone and have one phone for everything. Sell the iphone to get rid of the ETF.
    philly likes this.
    11-03-2011 07:29 AM
    Lol, post some proof they said 4g LTE would be available prior to Sept. I seem to be one of the few people that knew in back in Feb - March that the upgrade wasn't coming out till Sept. Of course I called and asked instead of listening to forum RUMORS (that somehow become fact).
    I've never heard of anyone who knew it would come out in Sept that early.
    11-03-2011 07:37 AM
    I got this: Motorola Xoom will get LTE in 'approximately 90 days,' requires one week for hardware upgrade (updated) -- Engadget

Should have been before June.
    11-03-2011 09:14 AM
    You can sell it in a day on CL, EB, or on your own. No worries.
    11-03-2011 10:56 AM
    Once you post proof that supports your assertion.

Oh and I have posted copies of emails from Motorola along the way.
    11-03-2011 05:03 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD