I'm Losing It

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Although I will not be buying an apple product, verizon is quickly losing me as a potential customer. By the time the GN is released on Verizon I might as well wait another three or four weeks and get a phone with better hardware and ICS.

It may have better hardware but, most-likely won't be pure ICS. That's why I'm not worried about other phones coming out, unless we know for sure that the manufacture's UI won't cover up ICS.

That may not matter to some but, it's a big deal to me. When I had the Bionic you couldn't even tell it had Gingerbread installed, unless you looked at the settings. Virtually everything I liked about Gingerbread was wiped out by Motoblur.

hyperdude

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
It may have better hardware but, most-likely won't be pure ICS. That's why I'm not worried about other phones coming out, unless we know for sure that the manufacture's UI won't cover up ICS.

That may not matter to some but, it's a big deal to me. When I had the Bionic you couldn't even tell it had Gingerbread installed, unless you looked at the settings. Virtually everything I liked about Gingerbread was wiped out by Motoblur.
Precisely my thoughts. That's the one thing I've noticed about all the OEMs releasing Gingerbread versions for phones. Practically nothing about the OS seemed to change, they just touted new things like the Downloads manager and other stuff. Pretty much takes away from the significance of a version change in my mind.

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I think it's worth getting a Nexus than waiting for a better phone. Think about it, no matter what, these newer phones coming out will have Bloat and have a skin on top of it. They also will likely ship with Gingerbread. meaning the update they get will give them ICS. It's a slim chance they get Jelly bean that's coming out next year. And if they do, it porbably won't be until 2013 since the next Nexus will probably come out next fall/winter. Meanwhile this Nexus will get ICS and jellybean once it's released and maybe even the next OS after that. The nexus is a better longterm phone compared to these other devices coming out. And remember, the Nexus is using all next gen hardware. These quad core phones will be using 1st gen and have to go through the initial trials of getting things right. Battery, OS compatibility etc. And the Nexus will definitely hold it's own. Nothing is better than stock android. waiting for these super phones will be a waste imo.

machiz7888

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
can't believe how few people mention the buttons as a feature. huge opportunity having a custom space for buttons. NEXUS all the way

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
What I am implying is that major phone manufacturers are already working on porting ICS to their hardware, and have been doing so since ICS SDK was released. I cannot say for sure when a non nexus device will have ICS, but January of 2012 is within the realm of possible.

You are an easy 3-6 months from any other ICS device.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The Xoom fiasco was a completely botched up. But when it comes to software updates, Moto has been quicker than the others in getting them out the door on Verizon.

It took them about six months to update the X to FROYO.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

That is probably why it's called Motoblur. It blues anything that is not Motorola. LOL

fed123

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I had not trouble canceling iPhone 4S from Verizon. I ordered over the internet, but made sure I cancelled by calling my local store.

Last edited:

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
It took them about six months to update the X to FROYO.

Um, I'm pretty sure it took them 2 months after launch to upgrade to Froyo (Launched July 2010, Upgraded September 2010).

Now the Gingerbread update took, what, 6-7 months? There were leaks months before that, however, but they were obviously experiencing issues getting something stable (and by all accounts, they still failed on that front).

Last edited:

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I suspect the ICS to Razr in a "few weeks", may be the same "few weeks" it took Moto to upgrade my Xoom to 4G. I can't be the only one thinking this...

I bought my Xoom in March. When I called Motorola at the end of March they told me the upgrade would be available in Sept. By the end of Sept I was 4g. I read this on the Xoomforum but no one could produce anything that said the update would be available "in a few weeks" aside from the salesman at the store saying that. When I mentioned what Motorola told me on the forum everyone basically said I was full of it.

For all I'm concerned Motorola maybe slow to update at times but always keep to there word. Plus with the Xoom they sent out a free standard dock for the delay.

Another thing. Motorola updates the Xoom outside the USA. They have full read write access to the SD and nearly no bugs. Google updates it in the USA and we STILL don't have write access to the SD without root. So to be honest I'd rather have their version 3.1 then our 3.2.....they get function, we get a number, whoopy.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I think it's worth getting a Nexus than waiting for a better phone. Think about it, no matter what, these newer phones coming out will have Bloat and have a skin on top of it. They also will likely ship with Gingerbread. meaning the update they get will give them ICS. It's a slim chance they get Jelly bean that's coming out next year. And if they do, it porbably won't be until 2013 since the next Nexus will probably come out next fall/winter. Meanwhile this Nexus will get ICS and jellybean once it's released and maybe even the next OS after that. The nexus is a better longterm phone compared to these other devices coming out. And remember, the Nexus is using all next gen hardware. These quad core phones will be using 1st gen and have to go through the initial trials of getting things right. Battery, OS compatibility etc. And the Nexus will definitely hold it's own. Nothing is better than stock android. waiting for these super phones will be a waste imo.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass I just simply do not know.

Are the old Nexus getting ICS?

Won't there be a new nexus to show case jelly bean?

And the scariest thing I can think of. When the 18 month of Google support expires for the GN do you think its done with updates or even worse rely on Samsung for updates?

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

And the scariest thing I can think of. When the 18 month of Google support expires for the GN do you think its done with updates or even worse rely on Samsung for updates?

I believe Google has stated that the Nexus S will receive ICS. But it'll be a no go for the Nexus One.

The great thing about the Nexus is that it's developer friendly and it will have a lot of support from the dev community. Even after Google stops officially updating the GNex, the community will simply pick up where they left off.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I believe Google has stated that the Nexus S will receive ICS. But it'll be a no go for the Nexus One.

The great thing about the Nexus is that it's developer friendly and it will have a lot of support from the dev community. Even after Google stops officially updating the GNex, the community will simply pick up where they left off.

Good to know. I'm definitely getting the GN. In my mind I can't go wrong. The worst thing that could happen is I don't like it, sell it, buy a different phone. Not really that big of a deal really.

I have the Xoom which is a dev tablet and although a little buggy at times I much prefer it over the competition. Hoping that carries true with the GN.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Oh look, it's this thread again.

(This is all I'm going to say in every one of my posts because, really, it's getting stupid.)

You could try just not reading threads you think are stupid. At least that way we don't have to listen to you whine about it......just a thought....

revickulous2001

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I would remind everyone claiming a six month update time for other phones that Motorola has already announced that they plan to release ICS for their current devices 6 weeks after ICS launches.

However, the real question is will Verizon be willing to pay Motorola for the updates if Motorola succeeds in such a quick port.

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

It won't be a big deal because by the time the first os after our 18 months of support stops our contracts will have expired and we can get the latest nexus

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
I would remind everyone claiming a six month update time for other phones that Motorola has already announced that they plan to release ICS for their current devices 6 weeks after ICS launches.

However, the real question is will Verizon be willing to pay Motorola for the updates if Motorola succeeds in such a quick port.

Verizon doesn't pay for updates.

Anyway, PR nerds rarely dictate or comprehend development schedules. I will be SHOCKED if its 12 weeks after ICS launches, much less 6 weeks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995