The Big Picture

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I think one of the main reasons I frequent these forums is because the vast majority of you understand my affinity for all things Android, but most recently the Galaxy Nexus. I was one of the ones watching the live broadcast of the Samsung/Google keynote and just like the rest of you, I was excited about the prospect of owning this phone. I think we all have our reasons for wanting this phone, most of them probably the same, but what I've noticed recently is this hysteria on when exactly this device is going to be released. It started with the omission of an SD card slot, moved on to the lack of "Gorilla Glass", went horribly astray with the word "pentile", and has now come full-circle with a month worth of waiting left (if that).

Tweets from P3Droid, messages from the knowledgeable Panda, leaked MAP's, leaked advertising schedules...it's thrown a good amount of you into such a frenzy that now there's some who are saying that it would be best to just wait until the next batch of phones comes out. I think it's time to see the big picture and remind you just why the Galaxy Nexus is in a class of it's own.

Recently, I purchased a Samsung Galaxy S2 from AT&T. To date, it's easily the best phone I;ve ever used. When the keynote aired, I had a huge case of buyer's remorse and knew that I would have to have this Galaxy Nexus. I returned the Galaxy, cancelled my line with AT&T, and started using my Verizon line again. This Sunday, they're going to release not only a new Galaxy S2 for AT&T, but it's going to be one of two of their new LTE phones. To make things worse, two of the cities they're launching LTE (Baltimore/DC) are the cities I live in/travel to all the time. Needless to say, I would have been pretty pissed had I kept the Galaxy, only to see the LTE version come out 2-3 weeks later.

Now what's this point of that story? In buying the Nexus, the worst thing I have to deal with is buying a new one next year, not 3 weeks from now. I think some of us have forgot just how unique this phone is in a world full of new Android releases seemingly every two seconds. I hear the argument "Well I'm not buying the Galaxy Nexus because it isn't out yet and by the time it's out, a new phone with better specs and ICS will be out". Better specs? Maybe. ICS? Doubtful. The problem is, a month later after you buy this phone with better specs, a new one will come out to take it's place. Now I'm not saying that a phone won't come out fairly soon after the Galaxy Nexus with better specs. I'm sure there will be. What I'm saying is that it won't be a pure Android experience like that of the Nexus. It most likely won't be running ICS, which to me at least, is the huge draw for this phone.

For those of you not patient enough to play the waiting game, I guess all I can say is I'm sorry you're going to miss out. I have some legitimate concerns about the phone that I've voiced on here, but I'm going to have the phone in my hand first before I pass judgment. If I were a betting man, I would bet that the second I have my hands on this phone, I'm going to be so impressed by it's display and it's speed that I'll get it. I'd bet the same for each and everyone of you who've had an interest in this phone from the start, too.

Last edited:

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
For those that aren't willing to wait are mostly "your average consumer". They make phone calls, check their facebook and put it back in their pocket.

A lot of these people prefer manufacture UI too. When I'm on my xoom my gf is always asking, can you do this can you do that. Usually the answer is no because its UI additions. I have to remind her this is extremely basic....not to many "oh that's cool" features.

Anyway, I wouldn't feel sorry for people that don't want to wait. If they appreciated android like we do then they would wait, if they don't then they should have a different phone anyway.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
For those that aren't willing to wait are mostly "your average consumer". They make phone calls, check their facebook and put it back in their pocket.

A lot of these people prefer manufacture UI too. When I'm on my xoom my gf is always asking, can you do this can you do that. Usually the answer is no because its UI additions. I have to remind her this is extremely basic....not to many "oh that's cool" features.

Anyway, I wouldn't feel sorry for people that don't want to wait. If they appreciated android like we do then they would wait, if they don't then they should have a different phone anyway.

I think ICS will change that a little bit though. I mean you still won't have something like Sense where you press the home button and it shows you all 7 screens at once, but there are a lot of other cool things here and there in ICS, yet it's stock so it won't bog down the phone. We like it because it's stock, but I think the average consumer will like ICS because it has a lot of "oh that's cool" features as well.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I think I have the wierdest reason for not getting the GNex.. I dont think any other person has complained about this and most people have stated it as a feature.

No hardware buttons.. I just simply dont like the fact I wont have hardware buttons to use.. and on top of that wont have my settings/search button available at all times.

I honestly could of gotten over the no gorilla glass or SD card slot..

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
That's a legitimate concern, Philly. I complerely underetand where you're coming from. I bet you'll at least toy around with it first to see if you can deal with it, though.

SuperECS

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
I think I have the wierdest reason for not getting the GNex.. I dont think any other person has complained about this and most people have stated it as a feature.

No hardware buttons.. I just simply dont like the fact I wont have hardware buttons to use.. and on top of that wont have my settings/search button available at all times.

I honestly could of gotten over the no gorilla glass or SD card slot..

+1 to you. This is the EXACT reason I do not like this phone. Don't get me wrong, it's a great phone, but this negative, outweighs all the positives.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Great post!

On the dedicated software buttons, it's going to be one of those things people will get used to. I suspect a lot of new phones down the road will go button-less now that the Nexus has set the trend. So even if you skip the Nexus now, inevitably you'll encounter it if you wish to upgrade to better hardware in the future.

I wondered myself how dedicated search will work within the context of applications that use it. But that's a question for another thread.

Last edited:

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
In all honesty the only thing that concerns me about the phone is the fact that I may not be able to get it until after Thanksgiving. Now I have no issue with waiting myself as I currently have the Thunderbolt, so my phone is still running well.

My issue is that my mother is coming to visit Thanksgiving week and she has the original Droid and I told her that I would give her my Thunderbolt when I got the Galaxy Nexus. If the Galaxy Nexus doesn't come until after Thanksgiving, then I won't be able to give my mother my Thunderbolt until my wife and I go to Ohio for Christmas.

I'm getting the phone regardless, I would just rather it be sooner for my mother's sake.

gobluejd

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
I think one of the main reasons I frequent these forums is because the vast majority of you understand my affinity for all things Android, but most recently the Galaxy Nexus. I was one of the ones watching the live broadcast of the Samsung/Google keynote and just like the rest of you, I was excited about the prospect of owning this phone. I think we all have our reasons for wanting this phone, most of them probably the same, but what I've noticed recently is this hysteria on when exactly this device is going to be released. It started with the omission of an SD card slot, moved on to the lack of "Gorilla Glass", went horribly astray with the word "pentile", and has now come full-circle with a month worth of waiting left (if that).

Tweets from P3Droid, messages from the knowledgeable Panda, leaked MAP's, leaked advertising schedules...it's thrown a good amount of you into such a frenzy that now there's some who are saying that it would be best to just wait until the next batch of phones comes out. I think it's time to see the big picture and remind you just why the Galaxy Nexus is in a class of it's own.

Recently, I purchased a Samsung Galaxy S2 from AT&T. To date, it's easily the best phone I;ve ever used. When the keynote aired, I had a huge case of buyer's remorse and knew that I would have to have this Galaxy Nexus. I returned the Galaxy, cancelled my line with AT&T, and started using my Verizon line again. This Sunday, they're going to release not only a new Galaxy S2 for AT&T, but it's going to be one of two of their new LTE phones. To make things worse, two of the cities they're launching LTE (Baltimore/DC) are the cities I live in/travel to all the time. Needless to say, I would have been pretty pissed had I kept the Galaxy, only to see the LTE version come out 2-3 weeks later.

Now what's this point of that story? In buying the Nexus, the worst thing I have to deal with is buying a new one next year, not 3 weeks from now. I think some of us have forgot just how unique this phone is in a world full of new Android releases seemingly every two seconds. I hear the argument "Well I'm not buying the Galaxy Nexus because it isn't out yet and by the time it's out, a new phone with better specs and ICS will be out". Better specs? Maybe. ICS? Doubtful. The problem is, a month later after you buy this phone with better specs, a new one will come out to take it's place. Now I'm not saying that a phone won't come out fairly soon after the Galaxy Nexus with better specs. I'm sure there will be. What I'm saying is that it won't be a pure Android experience like that of the Nexus. It most likely won't be running ICS, which to me at least, is the huge draw for this phone.

For those of you not patient enough to play the waiting game, I guess all I can say is I'm sorry you're going to miss out. I have some legitimate concerns about the phone that I've voiced on here, but I'm going to have the phone in my hand first before I pass judgment. If I were a betting man, I would bet that the second I have my hands on this phone, I'm going to be so impressed by it's display and it's speed that I'll get it. I'd bet the same for each and everyone of you who've had an interest in this phone from the start, too.

Very well said. had a the same kind of post when the Tbolt came out over at AF. It amazes me how so many drool at the phone then complain about it. I am personally a HTC Fanboy. However I have a feeling when I am in the store holding the Nexus, the Rezound and HTC Sense will slowly flee from my heart.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting tired of reading complaints about features no one has used yet. I can understand concern since it's new, but to give up on the device based on a new technology is a little absurd.

allan1313

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Very good post. I am eagerly awaiting this phone to drop. I am not a fan of manufacturers UI's and want the pure Android experience.

We all thought that this phone might drop Nov. 3/10. I am fine waiting until Nov. 24/Dec. 1 for this. People take this stuff way too serious. It is JUST a phone after all. I have plenty going on in my life that the extra couple of weeks will just fly by.

This next couple of months will kill my wallet. The Galaxy Nexus and Transformer Prime, ouch!!!!

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting tired of reading complaints about features no one has used yet. I can understand concern since it's new, but to give up on the device based on a new technology is a little absurd.

Well and quite frankly I don't understand the complaint of the software buttons. I mean it's not the same as the lack of physical keyboard complaint. Unless you have a Droid Charge you don't have real hardware buttons anyway.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site

I'm assuming you are referring to the software button post. They have been around since February with Honeycomb so plenty of people have used them. And to be honest this is the MAIN reason I'm going with the GN. Software buttons are going to be the future and I don't want a phone that manufacture UI has to get rid of the on screen buttons to use hardware.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
sorry to upset you guys.. its just my opinion..

I'm getting tired of people assuming because its new technology, its better?

You wont beable to talk me into liking the new facebook set up better then the old.. I simply enjoyed having more options.. and having them available at all times.

And thats exactly what I'd lose.. Instead of having all 4 buttons available.. and not dependent on the touchscreen acting wierd or not.. Id have 3 buttons and google would be telling me what buttons are available for me to use.

how is this not a downgrade?

billd104

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm really not sure what logic, if any, both Samsung & AT&T put into the Galaxy S II launch and then 3 weeks later launching another Galaxy S II device superior in most ways to the one that was just introduced. Was the Galaxy S II used just to chum the waters as it was released just prior to the iPhone 4S hence setting the lower bar for performance vs. the new iPhone. Now all of the early adopters on AT&T are going to return those devices and get a GSII Skyrocket. So where does that leave the original GSII? My guess is that AT&T and Samsung will have a fire sale on those devices, look for them to go fast and cheap from AT&T. I would use one for a backup device / dev device along with my 2 Captivates. :)

FedexMike

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
My wife fought getting a smart phone for a long time. I finally got her to switch to my OG Droid. Loved it. Hooked immediately. I then upgraded to the Tbolt, giving her my Dinc. She hated it. Hated sense. Back to the OG Droid. Now she likes the RAZR. She loves blur. With all that being said, I'm just glad she loves android. I want to come back to pure android. So tired of sense and tired of waiting on updates. Bring on the pure Google!!!!! Android!!! Android!!! Android!!! :D

TheDave

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I cant wait to actually do my OWN review of the device.

No one can tell you if you will like it or not for sure, its up to the final reviewer...you

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
sorry to upset you guys.. its just my opinion..

I'm getting tired of people assuming because its new technology, its better?

You wont beable to talk me into liking the new facebook set up better then the old.. I simply enjoyed having more options.. and having them available at all times.

And thats exactly what I'd lose.. Instead of having all 4 buttons available.. and not dependent on the touchscreen acting wierd or not.. Id have 3 buttons and google would be telling me what buttons are available for me to use.

how is this not a downgrade?

So why not be upset at the other manufacturers for only giving you 4 buttons. Why do they get to choose 4 buttons instead of 5? If anything, the software buttons make things more flexible. I wouldn't be surprised if most manufacturers keep the 4 button configuration once they go to non-bezel mounted buttons. The only reason Google went with 3 on the home screen is because the Google search bar is on every screen at the top.

Last edited: